Disk Not Formatted

  • victor044
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 26 8:03 PM
      My power went out and now I am receiving a Disk not formatted error
      and I cannot access any of the data on the harddrive. I was looking
      at the WIKI and performed the following action.

      "When running 3.17 (and maybe also 3.16) the startup script
      malfunctions if the file /opt/sbin/insmod (which is a symbolic link
      to /opt/bin/busybox) is present. Just delete this link (if you really
      want to run this version of BusyBox? insmod later, you can do that by
      writing "busybox insmod"). After deleting the link, just reboot and
      your drive should again be recognized as formatted and your shares
      available."

      I actually have 3.18 and after deleting the link when I reboot nothing
      will come up at all, not even the web admin utility. I cannot ping the
      IP address or access the HD or Web utility via IP or host name.

      Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get back into the
      slug? Or better yet, how to get my data back from the hd?

      Thanks,
      vic
    • Jeff Odell
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 26 9:13 PM
        Try unplugging your hard drive, and booting to the original flash.
        Enable telnet from the web interface. Telnet into your slug using the
        root password uNSLUng. Plug in your hard drive, wait a few moments
        for the volumes to be mounted and then go about fixing your problem.

        All of this should be able to be found in the wiki as that is where I
        learned it. :')

        Good luck,
        Jeff

        On 4/26/05, victor044 <victor044@...> wrote:

        > My power went out and now I am receiving a Disk not formatted error
        > and I cannot access any of the data on the harddrive. I was looking
        > at the WIKI and performed the following action.
        >
        > "When running 3.17 (and maybe also 3.16) the startup script
        > malfunctions if the file /opt/sbin/insmod (which is a symbolic link
        > to /opt/bin/busybox) is present. Just delete this link (if you really
        > want to run this version of BusyBox? insmod later, you can do that by
        > writing "busybox insmod"). After deleting the link, just reboot and
        > your drive should again be recognized as formatted and your shares
        > available."
        >
        > I actually have 3.18 and after deleting the link when I reboot nothing
        > will come up at all, not even the web admin utility. I cannot ping the
        > IP address or access the HD or Web utility via IP or host name.
        >
        > Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get back into the
        > slug? Or better yet, how to get my data back from the hd?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > vic
        >
        > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the Wiki at http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • victor044
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 27 4:44 PM
          I tried to do what you said below, I unplugged the hard drive and
          rebooted the slug and I still cannot access the web interface or
          ping the IP or host name. Does anyone have any suggestions?

          Thanks,
          vic