freecom classic hd, usb, 250 GB

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 21, 2005
      Hi there,

      nice thing to play with, i thought. But it gives
      me already a hard time from the beginning.

      I just have my nslu2 brandnew today. and a freecom 250 GB
      classic hd usb 2.0.
      http://www.freecom.com/ecProduct_detail.asp?ID=137
      7&nr=23237&prodn=Classic+HD+250GB+USB+2%2E0

      but the firmware will not recognize the hd.
      dmesg shows this error messages.

      it does not matter if i use port 1 or 2. and i do a
      fresh boot. at least the disc spinns up.

      someone can help?

      hub.c: new USB device 00:01.2-1, assigned address 2
      usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
      usb.c: error getting string descriptor 0 (error=-110)
      usb.c: error getting string descriptor 0 (error=-71)
      usb.c: error getting string descriptor 0 (error=-71)
      Protocol: Transparent SCSI
      before kernel thread
      *** detect:usb-storage
      * scsi_register: usb-storage-1,
      * scsi_reg, hostno:1 prot is 49
      * scsi_reg, retval->host_no:1
      ! scan_scsis
      Module init.
    • Marten van der Honing
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 21, 2005
        It seems that freecom harddisk are a big NO together with the nslu. I
        went back to the shop and traded the freecom 160GB harddisk in for
        another brand. The people in shop were so helpfull in testing the hd
        in the shop and there another freecom 120GB also did not work. A no
        brand usb2 harddisk did work. Maybe some tech guys here know how to
        fix the firmware, but the fastest way is probably to trade in the
        harddisk.

        PS are there other people here that are having problems with freecom harddisks?

        > I just have my nslu2 brandnew today. and a freecom 250 GB
        > classic hd usb 2.0.
      • Frank
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 21, 2005
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Marten van der Honing
          <mvdhoning@g...> wrote:
          > It seems that freecom harddisk are a big NO together with the nslu.
          > went back to the shop and traded the freecom 160GB harddisk in for
          > another brand. The people in shop were so helpfull in testing the hd
          > in the shop and there another freecom 120GB also did not work. A no
          > brand usb2 harddisk did work. Maybe some tech guys here know how to
          > fix the firmware, but the fastest way is probably to trade in the
          > harddisk.
          >
          > PS are there other people here that are having problems with freecom
          harddisks?

          Well, i had i already working in a SuSE 9.1 with kernel
          2.6.5-7.151-default. But first after an kernel upgrade.

          Seems like it's not realy an quality hd. i can't
          exchange mine. got it from an online shop. they will tell
          me, it only works with windows.

          well ...

          it's not really nice to start like this.
          it will maybe work in a later firmware release.
          someone?
        • Jon Pounder
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 21, 2005
            This sounds like it could be either a ide/usb subsystem issue or an issue
            with the drive bios itself.

            If anyone has one collecting dust, separate out the ide drive itself and
            hookup to a separate ide/usb convertor known to work with other drives and
            see what happens.

            Also, on an unrelated (maybe) note, even on a drive that was supposed to
            be usb powered, I could not get it to work with the slug - but plugging in
            the external power anyway it worked fine after that, so it could be this
            sort of issue as well. Throwing a powered hub in between might fix it if
            that is the trouble.

            > It seems that freecom harddisk are a big NO together with the nslu. I
            > went back to the shop and traded the freecom 160GB harddisk in for
            > another brand. The people in shop were so helpfull in testing the hd
            > in the shop and there another freecom 120GB also did not work. A no
            > brand usb2 harddisk did work. Maybe some tech guys here know how to
            > fix the firmware, but the fastest way is probably to trade in the
            > harddisk.
            >
            > PS are there other people here that are having problems with freecom
            > harddisks?
            >
            >> I just have my nslu2 brandnew today. and a freecom 250 GB
            >> classic hd usb 2.0.
            >

            > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the Wiki at
            > http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            Jon Pounder

            _/_/_/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/_/ _/ _/ _/_/_/_/
            _/ _/_/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/ _/ _/_/
            _/ _/ _/_/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/ _/
            _/_/_/ _/ _/ _/_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/ _/ _/_/_/_/

            Inline Internet Systems Inc.
            Thorold, Ontario, Canada

            Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
            www.inline.net
            www.ihtml.com
            www.ihtmlmerchant.com
            www.opayc.com
          • Jon Pounder
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 21, 2005

              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Marten van der Honing
              > <mvdhoning@g...> wrote:
              >> It seems that freecom harddisk are a big NO together with the nslu.
              >> went back to the shop and traded the freecom 160GB harddisk in for
              >> another brand. The people in shop were so helpfull in testing the hd
              >> in the shop and there another freecom 120GB also did not work. A no
              >> brand usb2 harddisk did work. Maybe some tech guys here know how to
              >> fix the firmware, but the fastest way is probably to trade in the
              >> harddisk.
              >>
              >> PS are there other people here that are having problems with freecom
              > harddisks?
              >

              > Well, i had i already working in a SuSE 9.1 with kernel
              > 2.6.5-7.151-default. But first after an kernel upgrade.
              >
              > Seems like it's not realy an quality hd. i can't
              > exchange mine. got it from an online shop. they will tell
              > me, it only works with windows.
              >
              > well ...
              >
              > it's not really nice to start like this.
              > it will maybe work in a later firmware release.
              > someone?

              if you're in a smashing mood, rip it open and see what usb chip its using,
              and check the usb driver support lists for it.

              I suspect probably that's the trouble, and just tweaking a driver may fix
              it, alternatively just get another usb convertor and stick it inside the
              harddrive case. Likely the drive is a name brand from one of the big boys
              like fujitsu, maxtor, seagate, etc., and that is not the actual problem at
              all.

              > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the Wiki at
              > http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              Jon Pounder

              _/_/_/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/_/ _/ _/ _/_/_/_/
              _/ _/_/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/ _/ _/_/
              _/ _/ _/_/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/ _/
              _/_/_/ _/ _/ _/_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/ _/ _/_/_/_/

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 21, 2005
                > if you're in a smashing mood, rip it open and see what usb chip its
                using,
                > and check the usb driver support lists for it.

                Well i tried it, but i will break it if i try more.
                And i think sell it. So sorry, can't open it up.

                > I suspect probably that's the trouble, and just tweaking a driver
                may fix
                > it, alternatively just get another usb convertor and stick it inside the
                > harddrive case. Likely the drive is a name brand from one of the big
                boys
                > like fujitsu, maxtor, seagate, etc., and that is not the actual
                problem at
                > all.

                Well, it seems like e driver problem. Maybe freecom being
                not a standard drive.

                Found this thread also:
                http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-usb-users@.../msg11847.html

                Well, if i open the drive and buy another bay i will
                tell you.

                The drive is from Hitachi:
                Vendor: HDS72252 Model: 5VLAT80 Rev: V36O

                Thanks,

                Frank
              • Frank
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 26, 2005

                  > I suspect probably that's the trouble, and just tweaking a driver
                  may fix
                  > it, alternatively just get another usb convertor and stick it inside the
                  > harddrive case. Likely the drive is a name brand from one of the big
                  boys
                  > like fujitsu, maxtor, seagate, etc., and that is not the actual
                  problem at
                  > all.

                  Tada!!

                  I did it. Bought a no name case and a drive from seagate.
                  No problem at all. this is the better way.

                  hub.c: new USB device 00:01.2-1, assigned address 2
                  Protocol: Transparent SCSI
                  before kernel thread
                  *** detect:usb-storage
                  * scsi_register: usb-storage-1,
                  * scsi_reg, hostno:1 prot is 49
                  * scsi_reg, retval->host_no:1
                  ! scan_scsis
                  do read capacity!!!
                  read capacity ok!!!
                  The capacity is 781422768
                  *** 49
                  31 port connect!!!!!
                  Vendor: ST340083 Model: 2A Rev: 0 0
                  the host no is 1
                  * sd_attach:0
                  Attached scsi disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
                  SCSI device sda: 781422768 512-byte hdwr sectors (400088 MB)
                  Partition check:
                  sda: sda1
                  WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
                  USB Mass Storage device found at 2