RE: [nslu2-linux] build switchbox

  • John Bowler
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 9, 2005
      From: hoan [mailto:nnhoan@...]
      > Could I have some advise ! to get rid of the partition check.
      > I don't really know where this happens (still kernel detecting
      > hardware ?? )

      The messages are the kernel auto-detecting the attached disk. Try without a
      disk attached...

      What I ended up doing to debug bootstrap problems was telneting into
      switchbox at an early stage - I changed the /linuxrc to start telnet up
      early on in the bootstrap and wait 5 minutes for me to log in...

      Eventually I gave up on telnet - I just use nc ('netcat') and exec an ash
      shell. nc can be built into busybox and, unlike telnet, it doesn't fork and
      it's a lot smaller than telnet. By this time, of course, I had almost
      completely rewritten switchbox. I'm not aware of how the current switchbox
      recovery mode stuff works (when I started on this it didn't work at all in
      openslug because the switchbox payload was not being built - no ethernet in
      switchbox!)

      If you have a serial line it should be a lot easier, something like:

      ash <>/dev/console >&0 2>&0

      instead of nc or telnet. BTW quite a lot of stuff can be removed from the
      switchbox busybox to make it smaller - for example there is no real need for
      'vi' inside switchbox. Also most of the flash file system utilities can be
      accessed by symbolic linking /lib to /dev/mtdblock4,/lib.

      John Bowler <jbowler@...>