Test of improved pwc Webcam driver on OpenSlug - :-(

  • n1xnx
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 6, 2005
      I've compiled and installed a recent OpenSlug image (just after the
      recent dropbear password fix) that contains dyoung8888's package of
      Luc Saillard's updated pwc (Philips Webcam) driver; the one that
      doesn't need a binary-only decompressor for hi-res images. The pwc.ko
      module file is built and packaged in the OpenSlug image, rather than
      being stuck in later, so I'm confident it's the right module compiled
      for the right kernel etc.

      I am fairly sure I compiled/built/installed correctly, as I can ssh
      into the slug and play around. (I still haven't figured out how to
      manipulate the OpenSlug file systems and mount points in an organized
      way, but I'll get to that and put something in the Wiki on it sooner
      or later).

      When I insmod the pwc.ko kernel module with the camera plugged in, I
      get an "error -1: unknown symbol" and the module won't load. I recall
      that the Unslung version of the old pwc driver required a videodev.o
      kernel module, and I suspect that the new one also requires a videodev
      module, compiled for the appropriate kernel and processor (the Unslung
      videodev.o is a non-starter, as it's compiled against the wrong kernel
      version).

      Trouble is, I can't seem to find the videodev module in the
      Openembedded sources I have on my development machine. Can someone
      lend me a clue on this?
    • dyoung8888
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 6, 2005
        When was the last time you pulled? We added videodev to the defconfig a while ago.

        Mines in tmp/deploy/ipk/kernel-module-videodev_2.6.11.2-r1_nslu2.ipk

        If you want it in your image, add it as a RDEPENDS in your local.conf

        if you run install that then depmod, you should be able to just modprobe pwc and
        videodev will also load as a dependency

        BTW, someone (odoc) did the final testing of this module, and it works just fine after some
        endian patches were applied.

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "n1xnx" <n1xnx@a...> wrote:

        > I've compiled and installed a recent OpenSlug image (just after the
        > recent dropbear password fix) that contains dyoung8888's package of
        > Luc Saillard's updated pwc (Philips Webcam) driver; the one that
        > doesn't need a binary-only decompressor for hi-res images. The pwc.ko
        > module file is built and packaged in the OpenSlug image, rather than
        > being stuck in later, so I'm confident it's the right module compiled
        > for the right kernel etc.
        >
        > I am fairly sure I compiled/built/installed correctly, as I can ssh
        > into the slug and play around. (I still haven't figured out how to
        > manipulate the OpenSlug file systems and mount points in an organized
        > way, but I'll get to that and put something in the Wiki on it sooner
        > or later).
        >
        > When I insmod the pwc.ko kernel module with the camera plugged in, I
        > get an "error -1: unknown symbol" and the module won't load. I recall
        > that the Unslung version of the old pwc driver required a videodev.o
        > kernel module, and I suspect that the new one also requires a videodev
        > module, compiled for the appropriate kernel and processor (the Unslung
        > videodev.o is a non-starter, as it's compiled against the wrong kernel
        > version).
        >
        > Trouble is, I can't seem to find the videodev module in the
        > Openembedded sources I have on my development machine. Can someone
        > lend me a clue on this?
      • n1xnx
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 7, 2005
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "dyoung8888" <dyoung8888@y...> wrote:

          > When was the last time you pulled? We added videodev to the
          defconfig a while ago.

          I probably hit the period between pwc package being added and the
          videodev being added, or else I fat-fingered something somewhere...

          > Mines in tmp/deploy/ipk/kernel-module-videodev_2.6.11.2-r1_nslu2.ipk
          >
          > If you want it in your image, add it as a RDEPENDS in your local.conf

          Hmmm, should not adding the pwc package to RDEPENDS bring its
          dependencies in too? That's how I got the pwc in the image.

          > if you run install that then depmod, you should be able to just
          modprobe pwc and
          > videodev will also load as a dependency
          >
          > BTW, someone (odoc) did the final testing of this module, and it
          works just fine after some
          > endian patches were applied.

          Cool. I'll do another bk pull and build, and see if I get everything
          in there. Thanks!
        • John Bowler
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 7, 2005
            From: n1xnx [mailto:n1xnx@...]
            >Hmmm, should not adding the pwc package to RDEPENDS bring its
            >dependencies in too? That's how I got the pwc in the image.

            Yes. But so far as I can see *none* of the kernel module depends get
            reflected in the ipkg. For example kernel-module-msdos depends on symbols
            in kernel-module-fat which in turn depend on kernel-module-nls-base. If one
            of the depends modules isn't on the system the mysterious 'symbol not found'
            message will be generated by insmod. The ipkg for kernel-module-msdos,
            however, does not have the dependencies. BTW the required module doesn't
            need to be loaded - it is sufficient for it to be sitting in the
            /lib/modules/2.6.11.2 directory tree, the kernel will auto-load it.

            I believe there is nothing in ipkg to build kernel module dependencies.
            There *is* separate python code which uses ARM cross binutils to
            automagically generate share library dependencies. It is not necessary to
            write an explicit RDEPENDS in the .bb file for a shared library! I can't
            see anything analogous for the kernel.

            There are also additional dependencies within some kernel modules. For
            example kernel-module-msdos requires that a specific NLS charset module be
            available before it can mount a file system - but that dependency can be
            changed in the mount options (it's defined by the 'codepage=' option used
            when mounting the file system.)

            I'll have a look at this stuff. I think it's probably easy to generate the
            symbol dependencies when the ipkgs are built (as part of the 'build' step of
            openslug-kernel).

            John Bowler <jbowler@...>
          • John Bowler
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 7, 2005
              From: John Bowler [mailto:jbowler@...]
              >But so far as I can see *none* of the kernel module depends get
              >reflected in the ipkg.

              This seems to be an OE core bug in kernel.bbclass - there's a lot of python
              code in there to generate the correct module dependencies but it doesn't
              seem to actually manage to add the dependencies to the module RDEPENDS.

              It looks like it should be a localised bug - I'll find out ;-)

              John Bowler <jbowler@...>
            • John Bowler
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 7, 2005
                The lack of kernel module dependencies is caused by the armeb-linux-depmod
                crashing during the kernel build. The cross depmod (from module-init-tools)
                can't handle reading a big endian ELF file on a little endian system (or
                vice versa). The crash is ignored by bitbake and simply results in there
                being no dependencies between any kernel modules in the build.

                I have a fix for depmod (I added the required byte swapping) but I'm not
                sure this is sufficient. Anyway, it's not a core OE problem - it's specific
                to cross compiling between systems with different byte sex and maybe only
                with 2.6 kernels (i.e. not unslung).

                John Bowler <jbowler@...>