Re: uNSLUng 4.12-alpha

  • hoan
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 4, 2005
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "hoan" <nnhoan@y...> wrote:
      you can get details of my experimenting_unslung-4.12-squashfs at

      http://perso.wanadoo.fr/hoan/nslu2/index.html

      (including downloadable image )

      > in order to build unslung-4.12-alpha ,I have been obliged to
      >
      > 1 put back devio.c from /drivers/usb_org (usbdevfs_connect not
      > defined)
      > 2 eliminate ppp_mppe and usbnet from respective Makefile_modules
      > to avoid building errors.
      >
      > The resulting image works perfect apparently (even better than
      > 4.8-alpha-30mar2005build,where executing gawk could not recognise
      > item field like "print $4 " always print the 1st element $1).
      >
      > This unslung-4.12 has been successfully patched with squashfs.As
      > soon as I compiled bigendian_mksquashfs ,I will report.Right
      now ,it
      > can mount loopback squashfs_image_littleendian !!!
      >

      > I tried build openslug-image (4avr2005) got into trouble with
      > glibc-2.3.2-cvs20040726-r15 at nscd/elf-init.c___fini_array_start
      > not defined.
    • hoan
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 4, 2005
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <list.yahoo@r...>
        wrote:
        > You must have something very different about your build system,
        cause
        > we have at least 30 people who are building Unslung and OpenSlug
        from
        > that source base right now with no problems at all. We don't need
        > do any of the things you mention. What is your build system
        > description?
        Hi Rod,
        I am sure ,I must do something wrong,but here is my build directory:
        bitbake
        build
        fix-paths
        log
        nslu2-package-symlinks
        openembedded
        setup-env
        sources
        tmp
        the openembedded(and nslu2-pack-symlnk) comes directly from
        bk clone,
        and here is my build/conf/local.conf :
        OEROOT = "/home/wangji/hslug"
        DL_DIR = "${OEROOT}/sources"
        #BBFILES = "${OEROOT}/openembedded/packages/*/*.bb"
        BBFILES = "${OEROOT}/nslu2-package-symlinks/packages/*/*.bb"
        OEMASK = ""
        #BBMASK = ""
        #ASSUME_PROVIDED = "virtual/armv5b-softfloat-linux-gcc-3.3.5"

        #ASSUME_PROVIDED += "virtual/${TARGET_PREFIX}gcc virtual/libc "
        PREFERRED_PROVIDERS = "
        virtual/${TARGET_PREFIX}gcc-initial:gcc-cross-initial"
        PREFERRED_PROVIDERS += " virtual/${TARGET_PREFIX}gcc:gcc-cross"
        PREFERRED_PROVIDERS += " virtual/${TARGET_PREFIX}g++:gcc-cross"
        #CACHE = ""
        MACHINE = "nslu2"
        DISTRO = "openslug"
        OEINCLUDELOGS = "yes"
        #BBINCLUDELOGS = "yes"

        #CVS_TARBALL_STASH = "http://www.treke.net/oe/source/"

        I just did source setup-env before build>bb unslung-image

        What else should I specify to get debugged ?

        thanks

        > On Apr 4, 2005 11:55 PM, hoan <nnhoan@y...> wrote:
        > > in order to build unslung-4.12-alpha ,I have been obliged to
        > >
        > > 1 put back devio.c from /drivers/usb_org (usbdevfs_connect not
        > > defined)
        > > 2 eliminate ppp_mppe and usbnet from respective Makefile_modules
        > > to avoid building errors.
        > >
        > > The resulting image works perfect apparently (even better than
        > > 4.8-alpha-30mar2005build,where executing gawk could not
        recognise
        > > item field like "print $4 " always print the 1st element $1).
        > >
        > > This unslung-4.12 has been successfully patched with squashfs.As
        > > soon as I compiled bigendian_mksquashfs ,I will report.Right
        now ,it
        > > can mount loopback squashfs_image_littleendian !!!
        > >
        > > I tried build openslug-image (4avr2005) got into trouble with
        > > glibc-2.3.2-cvs20040726-r15 at
        nscd/elf-init.c___fini_array_start
        > > not defined.
      • John Bowler
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 4, 2005
          From: hoan [mailto:nnhoan@...]
          >and here is my build/conf/local.conf :
          >DISTRO = "openslug"

          >I just did source setup-env before build>bb unslung-image

          unslung-image requires DISTRO="unslung" in the local.conf. The kind of
          weird behaviour you saw is consistent with attempting to build an unslung
          image with the configuration for an openslug image (in particular with
          mismatched linux libraries - I believe the atexit stuff changed
          significantly between the 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.)

          John Bowler <jbowler@...>
        • hoan
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 4, 2005
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, John Bowler <jbowler@a...>
            wrote:
            > From: hoan [mailto:nnhoan@y...]
            > >and here is my build/conf/local.conf :
            > >DISTRO = "openslug"

            I am sorry;
            of course when bb unslung-image ,I had put "unslung"
            this "openslug" is here because I had tried lastly bb openslug-image

            In my build ,if I had put openslug and do bb unslung,it stops
            rapidly without doing anything !!!

            > >I just did source setup-env before build>bb unslung-image
            >
            > unslung-image requires DISTRO="unslung" in the local.conf. The
            kind of
            > weird behaviour you saw is consistent with attempting to build an
            unslung
            > image with the configuration for an openslug image (in particular
            with
            > mismatched linux libraries - I believe the atexit stuff changed
            > significantly between the 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.)
            >
            > John Bowler <jbowler@a...>
          • John Bowler
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 4, 2005
              From: hoan [mailto:nnhoan@...]
              >of course when bb unslung-image ,I had put "unslung"
              >this "openslug" is here because I had tried lastly bb openslug-image

              It's not possible to change the DISTRO or MACHINE in local.conf successfully
              (i.e. have a bb/bitbake build succeed after doing it) without clearing out
              *both* the bitbake cache and all the working directories. I.e. completely
              deleting 'tmp' in the directory tree you quoted.

              Bitbake doesn't behave in a make-like fashion. Once a package has been
              built successfully it stays built even if something it depends on changes
              and, sometimes, even if it changes (as a result of a bk pull). Consequently
              I find it advisable to delete my entire tmp directory after every bk pull
              and whenever I make a significant change somewhere. Certainly to be sure
              that a change really does work it is absolutely essential to rebuild
              everything.

              I suspect you've been trying to make things work incrementally. That
              doesn't work - a single error in the environment or in local.conf can leave
              the tmp directory in an unuseable state.

              Your local.conf looks correct, but it's easy to miss errors. Your build
              tree looks correct too. I don't know about setup-env but the only common
              problem with that (BBPATH - see the wiki) doesn't produce the issues you
              have. So I think you have an inconsistent build tree (tmp directory).

              John Bowler <jbowler@...>
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 4, 2005
                On Apr 5, 2005 3:14 AM, hoan <nnhoan@...> wrote:
                > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "hoan" <nnhoan@y...> wrote:
                > you can get details of my experimenting_unslung-4.12-squashfs at
                > http://perso.wanadoo.fr/hoan/nslu2/index.html
                > (including downloadable image )

                [The following is not really directed at hoan, because I am fairly
                confident that he/she is not really intending to "fork" the Unslung
                firmware. But I am taking this opportunity to set the expectations
                for anyone considering distributing binary images of firmware derived
                from the nslu2-linux project source code.]

                Whilst I am sure that you meant no harm by releasing your 4.x binary
                image, be aware that we treat that *very* seriously, and would
                *strongly* prefer that you work with the development team to
                incorporate your additions into the official Unslung firmware rather
                than distribute your "HoanSlung" firmware (this is a name I made up to
                allow me to distinguish between the official Unslung firmware and your
                derivative work in the discussion to follow).

                Whilst you are well within your rights to release your "HoanSlung"
                firmware, and the right to do so is central to the open source
                movement, if you do choose to distribute a derivative work then we
                *require* that you rename your "fork" in the following places:

                1) The name of the downloadable firmware image
                2) Inside the /.unslung version file
                3) At every place where the words "Unslung" or "uNSLUng" appear in the
                web interface.
                4) On any documentation describing your new "HoanSlung" firmware

                You are welcome to retain the name of the /.unslung file, and the
                /unslung directory.

                If you do decide to create a "HoanSlung" firmware distribution, then
                you will also be welcome to use the nslu2-linux community resources,
                as long as you rename your firmware to HoanSlung (or some other name)
                as I have described above. We would create a HoanSlung area in the
                wiki for you to put your documentation, and a hoanslung area in the
                BitBake repository for you to use for your source code repository, and
                you would be welcome to use the mailing list to support your users.
                You would even be welcome to distribute your HoanSlung firmware from
                the nslu.sf.net sourceforge site.

                Note that the core Unslung and OpenSlug firmware development teams
                would probably not be able to support your HoanSlung firmware in
                addition to the official Unslung and OpenSlug firmware, so your users
                would be looking to you to provide that support for them.

                Note that we are *not* taking this stand to somehow restrict your
                rights under the GPL - you do have and always will have the right to
                make and distribute works derived from the Unslung and OpenSlug
                firmware. However, we take a strong stand on actions (intentional or
                unintentional) that may fragment the strong and vibrant nslu2-linux
                community. This is why we *strongly* request that you work with the
                Unslung development team in making the Unslung firmware better rather
                than releasing your own "HoanSlung" firmware without renaming it.

                We are very lucky to have a single united nslu2-linux community with
                *many* very talented developers working on a single source code base
                for the firmware and packages. We welcome and will support those who
                want to create a differently named firmware fork for good reasons, but
                we would *strongly* request that anyone wishing to do so please talk
                with the development team first to see if your ideas can be
                incorporated in the current Unslung or OpenSlug firmware streams.

                Again, let me stress that anyone is within their rights to create and
                distribute derivative works of the Unslung and OpenSlug firmware. The
                only condition that we impose (and it is a social reponsibility that
                is the norm in the open source community, not a legal requirement) is
                that you rename your derivative work so that users do not confuse your
                derivative work with the official Unslung and OpenSlug distributions.

                For more background information on why it is necessary to always have
                the option of forking, but why it is uncommon in open source projects
                that are working well, have a read of
                http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Licensing_and_Law/forking.html

                To see the social norms regarding forking in the open source community
                read http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/homesteading/ar01s03.html

                If you did *not* intend to create and distribute a derivative work,
                then please remove your Unslung-labelled binary (but still keep your
                other pages describing how to recreate that binary), and then post a
                message describing the rationale for your changes and how they could
                best be incorporated in the official Unslung distribution. We would
                like to work with you as an Unslung developer.

                -- Rod (on behalf of the Unslung firmware development team)
              • hoan nguyen
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 4, 2005
                  --- Rod Whitby <list.yahoo@...> wrote:

                  > On Apr 5, 2005 3:14 AM, hoan <nnhoan@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "hoan"
                  > <nnhoan@y...> wrote:
                  > > you can get details of my
                  > experimenting_unslung-4.12-squashfs at
                  > > http://perso.wanadoo.fr/hoan/nslu2/index.html
                  > > (including downloadable image )

                  you are absolutely Right !

                  and I am really -fully sorry;

                  the page in question no longer contain any
                  downloadable image,

                  but only describe the logging of the
                  unslung-xxx_nslu2_slug.My only intention was to share
                  personal experience with newbie on this beautiful
                  stuff.
                  and only put later on yahoo_mailing list when it's
                  more mature.Please tell me if it's ok then.
                  Once again I present my excuses to the development
                  team.It was by no way a try to fork,steal,or anything
                  like that;just a stupid bad understanding of doing
                  funs

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 5, 2005
                    On Apr 5, 2005 4:23 PM, hoan nguyen <nnhoan@...> wrote:
                    > the page in question no longer contain any
                    > downloadable image,

                    Thanks for that. We assumed that your fork was unintentional.

                    > My only intention was to share
                    > personal experience with newbie on this beautiful
                    > stuff.
                    > and only put later on yahoo_mailing list when it's
                    > more mature.Please tell me if it's ok then.

                    Please post your experiences on the mailing list, and participate on
                    the IRC channel to get your patches into the Unslung firmware.

                    > Once again I present my excuses to the development
                    > team.It was by no way a try to fork,steal,or anything
                    > like that

                    There is no such thing as stealing in open source. Forking is a
                    different matter, and people are welcome to fork from the distribution
                    if they wish to do so intentionally. We only require that they change
                    the name of the forked distribution to avoid confusion.