You're going to hate me for this.....but

  • ziwotop
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2005
      I have just this last week bought the NSLU2 as a way of stoing my
      files on a small network at home to share out with 2 laptops and 1
      PC.

      I had only recently bought a lacie 500GB USB2 drive from eBay and
      the 2 seem to be made for each other.

      The last, and now seems to be the most important, thing I need out
      of my great new NAS setup is remote read/write access. I see how the
      NSLU2 shares out it's contents over the internet and it's a good
      start but a full blow FTP option would have been more befitting.

      So here's my opint - I know your guys on here are going to cringe
      now..... I have no unix (Linux) knowledge and use Windowz on my
      laptop and PC. I also have no knowledge of programming or script
      writing.

      If you are still readin this bit (fingers crossed) could you tell me
      if there is an update I can do to the NSLU2 like the linksys
      firmware update I just did? Or is there a Windowz friendly package I
      can use to help load FTP software onto the device.

      I see vsftp is available but the fact I have to telnet in and login
      as root and .......... em probably end up with a broken device due
      to my lack of knowledge.

      The other way is can you explain, like I'm a martian, to me key
      stroke by keystroke how to do this? I also have no idead about
      telnet or even what the root password is for my device.

      Donations to whatever developer org you want is offered for and
      person willing to help me sort this out. After all if it wasn't for
      the developers we wouldn't be here talking about the NSLU2.

      Thanks
      John
      john at oktogo dot co dot uk
    • Chris Watts
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2005

        Go here download 3.18 beta

        https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=116564

        Follow instructions here:

        http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/nslu/Unslung-3.18-beta-README.txt

        Then follow instructions here:

        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/Proftpd

        Then bob’s your Uncle.

        You might also want to check out. http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/NewUsersGuide

        Regards,

        Chris

[...]

        [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the Wiki at http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]

      • Jon Pounder
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2005

          my best piece of advice for you is open a command prompt window on your
          windows machine and get used to doing as much as you can in there. many of
          the commands are very similar to linux, and when you telnet in to a
          machine you basically are at the same level of interaction as a command
          window on windows.

          get used to navigating directories, moving files around, using text based
          editors, etc., where you can do this in relatively safety on windows, and
          then you will be more prepared to deal with the slug.

          > I have just this last week bought the NSLU2 as a way of stoing my
          > files on a small network at home to share out with 2 laptops and 1
          > PC.
          >
          > I had only recently bought a lacie 500GB USB2 drive from eBay and
          > the 2 seem to be made for each other.
          >
          > The last, and now seems to be the most important, thing I need out
          > of my great new NAS setup is remote read/write access. I see how the
          > NSLU2 shares out it's contents over the internet and it's a good
          > start but a full blow FTP option would have been more befitting.
          >
          > So here's my opint - I know your guys on here are going to cringe
          > now..... I have no unix (Linux) knowledge and use Windowz on my
          > laptop and PC. I also have no knowledge of programming or script
          > writing.
          >
          > If you are still readin this bit (fingers crossed) could you tell me
          > if there is an update I can do to the NSLU2 like the linksys
          > firmware update I just did? Or is there a Windowz friendly package I
          > can use to help load FTP software onto the device.
          >
          > I see vsftp is available but the fact I have to telnet in and login
          > as root and .......... em probably end up with a broken device due
          > to my lack of knowledge.
          >
          > The other way is can you explain, like I'm a martian, to me key
          > stroke by keystroke how to do this? I also have no idead about
          > telnet or even what the root password is for my device.
          >
          > Donations to whatever developer org you want is offered for and
          > person willing to help me sort this out. After all if it wasn't for
          > the developers we wouldn't be here talking about the NSLU2.
          >
          > Thanks
          > John
          > john at oktogo dot co dot uk
          >

          > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the Wiki at
          > http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Jon Pounder

          _/_/_/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/_/ _/ _/ _/_/_/_/

          Inline Internet Systems Inc.
          Thorold, Ontario, Canada

          Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
          www.inline.net
          www.ihtml.com
          www.ihtmlmerchant.com
          www.opayc.com