Reading or mounting NSLU2 USB2 Hard Drive

  • Miller Development Services
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2005
      My NLSU2 went bad, so I ordered a replacement. The replacement
      arrived, I plugged in the drive (Maxtor OneTouch USB2 250GB), but the
      NLSU2 (standard firmware, release 29) does not mount the drive. It
      says it is attached, but not formatted.

      When I examine the drive with PartitionMagic, I see three partitions
      on the drive: 1. Linux Ext2 (239,194.3 MB), 2. Linux Ext3 (117.7MB),
      Linux Swap (54.9MB).

      When I explore the drive with Ext2IFS and explore2fs, they only mount
      the Ext3 drive. On that drive, those programs see some files in the
      root, mostly SMB files, and four folders: lost+found, share, tmp, upgrade.

      I would like the NSLU2 to mount the USB2 drive if possible. But at
      this point, I would be happy just to be able to read the files off of
      the drive. If I could read the data off the HD, I can always copy the
      files back after reformatting.

      What are my options to mount the drive or access my files?

      BIG TIA
    • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2005
        If the drive was formatted on the NSLU2 both data partitions should be ext3
        - it does not look good for your data partition. There should be nothing
        fancy about the partitions and I recommend troubleshooting this on a Linux
        PC if you have access to one (Maybe CoLinux or DSL on XP can do just as
        well).

        In order to mount the disks on your NSLU2 you must be able to log on to it
        (since Telnet is not available on R29, you must find other ways... like...
        Unslung) - then just follow the steps on the two first sections of the wiki
        page
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/TroubleshootADriveNotFormattedConditio
        n - I suggest you just mount the partitions on their regular mount points
        (/share/hdd/data and /share/hdd/conf) so you can use your PC client to back
        up via Samba.

        If your data partition is bad, try a _non-destructive_ fsck.ext3 before
        giving up as to get some idea. This disk corruption thing is happening way
        to often for a journalling file system.

        best,

        -- Inge

        > My NLSU2 went bad, so I ordered a replacement. The
        > replacement arrived, I plugged in the drive (Maxtor
        > OneTouch USB2 250GB), but the NLSU2 (standard firmware,
        > release 29) does not mount the drive. It says it is
        > attached, but not formatted.
        >
        > When I examine the drive with PartitionMagic, I see three
        > partitions on the drive: 1. Linux Ext2 (239,194.3 MB), 2.
        > Linux Ext3 (117.7MB), Linux Swap (54.9MB).
        >
        > When I explore the drive with Ext2IFS and explore2fs,
        > they only mount the Ext3 drive. On that drive, those
        > programs see some files in the root, mostly SMB files,
        > and four folders: lost+found, share, tmp, upgrade.
        >
        > I would like the NSLU2 to mount the USB2 drive if
        > possible. But at this point, I would be happy just to be
        > able to read the files off of the drive. If I could read
        > the data off the HD, I can always copy the files back
        > after reformatting.
        >
        > What are my options to mount the drive or access my files?
        >
        > BIG TIA
        >

        > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving
        > to the Wiki at http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Kyle A. Miller
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2005
          Thank you Inge!

          I have CoLinux installed and am trying to access the device. The external drive is plugged into my PC. After I boot Linux, I am not sure which device to mount. There are a lot. When I look at the drive with Explore2fs, the one mountable partition appears as "hdf2". I tried mounting to the device, but mount said it is not a valid block device.

          How do I tell which device to mount? Do I have to make any entries in default.colinux.xml?

          I am hoping CoLinux can see the "bad" partition and fix it.