RE: [nslu2-linux] Motion on the NSLU2?

  • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1 12:51 PM
      Search the group archives. There you will find, among others, Dave's message
      (btw: Motion hasn't made it to CVS):

      "...Incidentally, I managed to get the motion tracking program "motion"
      working on my Slug (with Webcam). The software is here:
      http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome. It actually works, and
      succesfully streams output to a browser over the net, and highlights
      detected movement with a white box.

      The trouble is, it is hell on the Slug's CPU. Even when it is idling with no
      motion detected, at its lowest scanning frequency, it takes up 30-40% cpu.
      When something strays into its field of view, the whole slug mostly locks up
      and logins will terminate. So it's probably not a particularly useful
      achievement.

      Nevertheless, when I've got it to compile as a package, I'll put it into CVS
      and let others decide..."

      best,

      -- Inge

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1 1:04 PM
        Thanks for your reply, I had a feeling that processor power would be
        the problem for running something like this.

        Bob.

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen

      • fransmeulenbroeks
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 18, 2005
          Inge, all,

          I dug up the message below as I was interested to see if someone
          already got motion working.

          Despite the cpu load I decided to give it a try (hey, I didn't
          overclock my CPU for no purpose!).

          I compiled motion 3.2.3 (the latest as far as I know) natively on the
          slug and connected my Philips PCVC680K webcam to it.
          (there is no ffmpeg on my slug so that code was disabled by configure).

          Based on Inge's findings I set the cam to 176x144
          also I set low_cpu to 1.

          With that the load turned out to be around 3.5 %. And if motion is
          detected I see the load going towards 10% but that is about it.
          Actually I did connect two cams at the same time without any problem.

          There needs to be a fair amount of movement with this res as the
          default conf says that 1500 pixels must be changed (which is about 6%
          in the resolution I am using).

          Note that I did not use the webbrowser.
          I also haven't seen the box around the moved area.

          I can imagine that with ffmpeg you run in CPU problems though (as
          ffmpeg probably will do quite some FP math).

          The other cause for problems could be the way the cam is connected.
          I connected both cams through a usb hub to one port of the slug and my
          hard disk (where the pics go to) to the other port.
          As the cam's are USB1.1 this seemed the best option.

          Other experiences?

          Frans.