Motion on the NSLU2?

  • Robert Bilsland
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005
      Please forgive me if this has already been discussed, but I'm rather
      new to this amazing bit of kit and I couldn't find anyone else
      discussing it.

      I have been reading about Motion
      (http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome) and was
      wondering if it was possible to this on a NSLU2? It would be a perfect
      solution for a multi cam security system. Small box, hard drive, a few
      of cams and all on the end of a network cable, neat.

      Just interested on other comments if this would be possible?

      Bob.
    • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005
        Search the group archives. There you will find, among others, Dave's message
        (btw: Motion hasn't made it to CVS):

        "...Incidentally, I managed to get the motion tracking program "motion"
        working on my Slug (with Webcam). The software is here:
        http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome. It actually works, and
        succesfully streams output to a browser over the net, and highlights
        detected movement with a white box.

        The trouble is, it is hell on the Slug's CPU. Even when it is idling with no
        motion detected, at its lowest scanning frequency, it takes up 30-40% cpu.
        When something strays into its field of view, the whole slug mostly locks up
        and logins will terminate. So it's probably not a particularly useful
        achievement.

        Nevertheless, when I've got it to compile as a package, I'll put it into CVS
        and let others decide..."

        best,

        -- Inge

        > Please forgive me if this has already been discussed, but
        > I'm rather new to this amazing bit of kit and I couldn't
        > find anyone else discussing it.
        >
        > I have been reading about Motion
        > (http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome) and
        > was wondering if it was possible to this on a NSLU2? It
        > would be a perfect solution for a multi cam security
        > system. Small box, hard drive, a few of cams and all on
        > the end of a network cable, neat.
        >
        > Just interested on other comments if this would be
        > possible?
        >
        > Bob.
        >

        > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving
        > to the Wiki at http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Robert Bilsland
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005
          Thanks for your reply, I had a feeling that processor power would be
          the problem for running something like this.

          Bob.

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen

        • fransmeulenbroeks
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 18, 2005
            Inge, all,

            I dug up the message below as I was interested to see if someone
            already got motion working.

            Despite the cpu load I decided to give it a try (hey, I didn't
            overclock my CPU for no purpose!).

            I compiled motion 3.2.3 (the latest as far as I know) natively on the
            slug and connected my Philips PCVC680K webcam to it.
            (there is no ffmpeg on my slug so that code was disabled by configure).

            Based on Inge's findings I set the cam to 176x144
            also I set low_cpu to 1.

            With that the load turned out to be around 3.5 %. And if motion is
            detected I see the load going towards 10% but that is about it.
            Actually I did connect two cams at the same time without any problem.

            There needs to be a fair amount of movement with this res as the
            default conf says that 1500 pixels must be changed (which is about 6%
            in the resolution I am using).

            Note that I did not use the webbrowser.
            I also haven't seen the box around the moved area.

            I can imagine that with ffmpeg you run in CPU problems though (as
            ffmpeg probably will do quite some FP math).

            The other cause for problems could be the way the cam is connected.
            I connected both cams through a usb hub to one port of the slug and my
            hard disk (where the pics go to) to the other port.
            As the cam's are USB1.1 this seemed the best option.

            Other experiences?

            Frans.