RE: SAMBA setup as a Domain Controller

  • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2005
      Brief answer, since private emails like this is not a priority for me - the
      answer is made to the list:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I like a lot of other people am getting started working
      > with a *NIX system since my NSLU2 purchase.
      > As all of my other client pcs are windows based, I was
      > very much
      > interested in the thought of setting up the NSLU2 as a
      > PDC. Would it be possible for someone to explain how this
      > should be done?

      To some degree, though there are no shortcuts to becoming familiar with Unix
      systems. I suggest looking on the web for the large number of HowTo's and
      tutorials on Linux and sit down and work with the system.

      Note that the Samba 2 distribution that comes with Linksys is limited -
      programs have been removed and it can not be regarded as full Samba 2. The
      extent to which everything that should work on Samba 2 works on the Linksys
      Samba is an open question.

      http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-samba-tng.html

      explains how to set up Samba 2 as domain controller. It is pretty straight
      forward, though "useradd" is not a part of the NSLU2 utils yet
      (unfortunately - it should).

      If you can't get the Linksys Samba to work as domain controller, maybe you
      should consider installing the Samba 3 package. Before doing that, however,
      I suggest that you sit down and get yourself familiar with Linux.

      > - How to modify the smb.conf (what program to use for
      > editting)

      First make a copy, then edit using vi (or nano/jove/xemacs etc depending on
      what is installed).

      Then use diff to list the changes you have made and make a diversion script
      like in http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddPrinter (pt. 4) to reapply
      these changes on each reboot with disks attached.

      > - How to create the user directories on the slug (Home
      > directories)

      Basic unix. "mkdir userdir; chown user:group userdir", where "userdir" is an
      appropriate path (preferably on the HD), "user" is the name of the user and
      "group" is the main group she's a member of.

      > - How to add the user accounts to the PDC

      Basic Unix. Edit /etc/passwd.

      best,

      -- Inge