XMail - (was Re: Hell with qmail)

  • na_paulhar
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 29, 2005
      > I don't know why Outlook thinks there's a problem, or if I should even
      > care. Any thoughts?

      If you can send mail from outlook and receive it too, and externally
      sent mail is also working, then you can ignore Outlooks test.

      In my infrastructure I also have this setup:
      NSLU2<-->WRT54G<--->WAG54G<--->internet . If I use my dyndns (static)
      name (or IP address) the WAG54G/WRT54G combo stops packets coming back
      as "loopback". *I suspect the double NAT is what's killing it* So my
      trick was to create another entry in Outlook using the NSLU2 local IP
      address (192.168.1.77) - it means wherever I am at least one of my
      send-receive Outlook will fail, but I get all the mail regardless.

      As for a proper mail client on the NSLU2 - I've been cheating and just
      going into /opt/var/MailRoot/domains/<domain name>/<user>/new and
      doing a "vi *" to read them if my outlook client isn't available to
      get them properly. You can't just create mails in here manually though
      - they will block your send-receive so you'd have to delete the manual
      ones.

      Regards

      Paul
    • Jim Tucker
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 29, 2005
        On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:10:59 -0000, na_paulhar <paulhar@...> wrote:
        > As for a proper mail client on the NSLU2 - I've been cheating and just
        > going into /opt/var/MailRoot/domains/<domain name>/<user>/new and
        > doing a "vi *" to read them if my outlook client isn't available to
        > get them properly. You can't just create mails in here manually though
        > - they will block your send-receive so you'd have to delete the manual
        > ones.

        Neat trick! What I really want is to have a real live mail client
        running on the slug available to send and receive messages through
        Xmail's SMTP and POP servers. Preferably I would also like vim
        integration for message editing or at least the option of vi-type
        navigation keybindings. The ipkg version of mutt provided for the
        NSLU2 does not support POP (although it could if it were compiled
        differently, it seems). Nail is the only other available mail client
        for the slug that I am aware of, but it seems very, very basic and I
        have not really tried at all to make it work.

        Sometimes I SSH into the slug and use elinks to access my Gmail
        account, but that involves a lot of web navigation that tends to slow
        down the core activity of reading and writing messages. It seems to
        me that, now that I have XMail working, a really good native Linux
        mail client would be a lot more efficient.

        I hope that someone on this list is able to point me to such a package.
      • jimkovar
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 30, 2005
          If you have PHP 4.3.10 and a compatible webserver setup on your NSLU2,
          you might try NOCC webmail (http://nocc.sourceforge.net). It is
          working well for me on my Win2kPro laptop, even though the setup for
          Xitami was a little odd.

          73, KC0HOS - Jim

          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 30, 2005
            On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:07:53 -0000, jimkovar <jimkovar@...> wrote:
            > If you have PHP 4.3.10 and a compatible webserver setup on your NSLU2,
            > you might try NOCC webmail (http://nocc.sourceforge.net).

            Thanks! I'm trying it now. I've installed it to run with my Apache
            server. I've hit a snag, however, with the ipkg version of PHP
            apparently not supporting IMAP. My nocc web page says, "The IMAP
            module does not seem to be installed on this PHP setup, please see
            NOCC's documentation." I have upgraded PHP to the latest ipkg version
            (5.0.3-2) but there is no difference.

            Any ideas?
          • Josh Parsons
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 30, 2005
              On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 12:28 -0800, Jim Tucker wrote:

              > Thanks! I'm trying it now. I've installed it to run with my Apache
              > server. I've hit a snag, however, with the ipkg version of PHP
              > apparently not supporting IMAP. My nocc web page says, "The IMAP
              > module does not seem to be installed on this PHP setup, please see
              > NOCC's documentation." I have upgraded PHP to the latest ipkg version
              > (5.0.3-2) but there is no difference.

              Unslung's php does not support imap yet. This is because it would need
              to be built natively to link with libraries from cyrus-imapd.

              If there is demand for this feature, I'll look at building php natively
              - that would enable imap and pear support.

              --
              Josh Parsons
              Philosophy Department

            • Jim Tucker
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 30, 2005
                On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:37:24 -0800, Josh Parsons <jbparsons@...> wrote:
                > Unslung's php does not support imap yet.
                >
                > If there is demand for this feature, I'll look at building php natively
                > - that would enable imap and pear support.

                I would be very happy to see php support imap, please! How much
                'demand' are you looking for?

                (I'm not much good with the development side of things, but if it
                helps I could offer to do some wiki documentation or something.)
              • Jim Tucker
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 30, 2005
                  On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:10:59 -0000, na_paulhar <paulhar@...> wrote:
                  > As for a proper mail client on the NSLU2 - I've been cheating and just
                  > going into /opt/var/MailRoot/domains/<domain name>/<user>/new and
                  > doing a "vi *" to read them if my outlook client isn't available to
                  > get them properly.

                  I'm not sure I understand this correctly, but isn't XMail supposed to
                  be a full-featured mail solution that not only does POP and SMTP but
                  also replaces (or at least works with) the standard Linux mail tools?
                  Maybe I should focus on that rather than looking in the POP/SMTP
                  direction.

                  You mentioned earlier, Paul, that you didn't worry too much about the
                  "Replacing Sendmail" section of the XMail Beginners' document. Like
                  you, I didn't spend much time on that part of the equation. Can
                  anyone tell me what to try first if I want to make XMail funtion as a
                  "real" Linux mail system (and, presumably, work with tools like mutt
                  without having to worry about the fact that our mutt doesn't support
                  POP).
                • Jim Tucker
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 30, 2005
                    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:50:09 -0000, na_paulhar <paulhar@...> wrote:
                    > Once you've created your domain, create your users. Then you can
                    > configure Outlook to talk to the domain with the correct user/pass.

                    I don't know if you've seen PHPXmail
                    (http://phpxmail.sourceforge.net/) but I've started using it on my
                    slug. It's a PHP web front end for server, domain and account
                    administration.
                  • na_paulhar
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 31, 2005
                      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Jim Tucker <rjtucker@g...> wrote:
                      > On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:50:09 -0000, na_paulhar <paulhar@n...> wrote:
                      > > Once you've created your domain, create your users. Then you can
                      > > configure Outlook to talk to the domain with the correct user/pass.
                      >
                      > I don't know if you've seen PHPXmail
                      > (http://phpxmail.sourceforge.net/) but I've started using it on my
                      > slug. It's a PHP web front end for server, domain and account
                      > administration.

                      Interesting; thanks!