XMail - (was Re: Hell with qmail)

  • na_paulhar
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 29, 2005
      http://www.ubaight.com/xmail/BeginnersGuide.html#MailDomain
      > instructions, I tried to create a virtual XMail domain but I got a
      > timeout error
      >
      > bash-2.05b# /share/hdd/data/opt/bin/CtrlClnt -s
      > mail.[mydomain].dyndns.org -u postmaster -p ciao domainadd
      > [mydomain].dyndns.org
      > ErrCode = -5
      > ErrString = Timeout error
      >
      > (Note: I used my DynDNS domain name, not "[mydomain]")

      I did this instead:

      # CtrlClnt -s 127.0.0.1 -u postmaster -p ciao domainadd test.paul.uk
      #

      So - use 127.0.0.1 instead of your hostname. [I'm assuming you're
      doing this on your slug]

      If you use the wrong password you'll get odd messages like this:
      # CtrlClnt -s 127.0.0.1 -u postmaster -p badpasswd domainadd test.paul.uk
      ErrCode = -148
      ErrString = Controller response error
      ErrInfo = Resource lock entry not found

      The same will happen if you have the wrong admin username.

      > I double-checked the
      > username and password. I saw no error messages on the slug, so I'm
      > not sure how to troubleshoot. Any ideas?

      Logs are stored in /opt/var/MailRoot/logs. One per protocol per day.
      So for me to look for logs from today, I do this:
      # cd /opt/var/MailRoot/logs
      # ls -l *20050329*
      -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 889 Mar 29 12:40 ctrl-200503290000
      -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 89 Mar 29 09:55 pop3-200503290000
      -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 485 Mar 29 10:10 smail-200503290000
      -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1122 Mar 29 10:10 smtp-200503290000
      #

      The ctrl is the CtrlClnt log that your server is logging. These logs
      are not (mail) domain specific.

      Once you've created your domain, create your users. Then you can
      configure Outlook to talk to the domain with the correct user/pass.

      BTW - I had "fun" figuring out how to configure dyndns so initially
      test using just IP addresses so you can prove it's all working.
    • Jim Tucker
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 29, 2005
        On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:u50:09 -0000, na_paulhar <paulhar@...> wrote:
        > I did this instead:
        >
        > # CtrlClnt -s 127.0.0.1 -u postmaster -p ciao domainadd test.paul.uk
        > #
        >
        > So - use 127.0.0.1 instead of your hostname. [I'm assuming you're
        > doing this on your slug]

        Thanks. That helps.

        > Once you've created your domain, create your users. Then you can
        > configure Outlook to talk to the domain with the correct user/pass.
        >
        > BTW - I had "fun" figuring out how to configure dyndns so initially
        > test using just IP addresses so you can prove it's all working.

        I had little trouble with the dyndns part of things, and I am now able
        to send and receive messages through the xmail server. (Yay!)

        Strange thing is, Outlook still complains when it tries to send its
        'test' message. In the "Test Account Settings" dialog: "Send test
        e-mail message: Unable to logon to the outgoing mail server (SMTP).
        Please verify your SMTP server and - if your server requires
        authentication - the authentication information on the 'More Settings'
        pages."

        I don't know why Outlook thinks there's a problem, or if I should even
        care. Any thoughts?
      • Jim Tucker
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 29, 2005
          On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:50:09 -0000, na_paulhar <paulhar@...> wrote:
          > Once you've created your domain, create your users. Then you can
          > configure Outlook to talk to the domain with the correct user/pass.

          Great! I now have Xmail up and running out of a diversion script.

          Next, I want to find an e-mail client to run on the slug that will
          work easily with Xmail. I had a look at the version of mutt that is
          in the NSLU2 ipkg feed, but I am not sure if it will work. Any
          suggestions?
        • na_paulhar
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 29, 2005
            > I don't know why Outlook thinks there's a problem, or if I should even
            > care. Any thoughts?

            If you can send mail from outlook and receive it too, and externally
            sent mail is also working, then you can ignore Outlooks test.

            In my infrastructure I also have this setup:
            NSLU2<-->WRT54G<--->WAG54G<--->internet . If I use my dyndns (static)
            name (or IP address) the WAG54G/WRT54G combo stops packets coming back
            as "loopback". *I suspect the double NAT is what's killing it* So my
            trick was to create another entry in Outlook using the NSLU2 local IP
            address (192.168.1.77) - it means wherever I am at least one of my
            send-receive Outlook will fail, but I get all the mail regardless.

            As for a proper mail client on the NSLU2 - I've been cheating and just
            going into /opt/var/MailRoot/domains/<domain name>/<user>/new and
            doing a "vi *" to read them if my outlook client isn't available to
            get them properly. You can't just create mails in here manually though
            - they will block your send-receive so you'd have to delete the manual
            ones.

            Regards

            Paul
          • Jim Tucker
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 29, 2005
              On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:10:59 -0000, na_paulhar <paulhar@...> wrote:
              > As for a proper mail client on the NSLU2 - I've been cheating and just
              > going into /opt/var/MailRoot/domains/<domain name>/<user>/new and
              > doing a "vi *" to read them if my outlook client isn't available to
              > get them properly. You can't just create mails in here manually though
              > - they will block your send-receive so you'd have to delete the manual
              > ones.

              Neat trick! What I really want is to have a real live mail client
              running on the slug available to send and receive messages through
              Xmail's SMTP and POP servers. Preferably I would also like vim
              integration for message editing or at least the option of vi-type
              navigation keybindings. The ipkg version of mutt provided for the
              NSLU2 does not support POP (although it could if it were compiled
              differently, it seems). Nail is the only other available mail client
              for the slug that I am aware of, but it seems very, very basic and I
              have not really tried at all to make it work.

              Sometimes I SSH into the slug and use elinks to access my Gmail
              account, but that involves a lot of web navigation that tends to slow
              down the core activity of reading and writing messages. It seems to
              me that, now that I have XMail working, a really good native Linux
              mail client would be a lot more efficient.

              I hope that someone on this list is able to point me to such a package.
            • jimkovar
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 30, 2005
                If you have PHP 4.3.10 and a compatible webserver setup on your NSLU2,
                you might try NOCC webmail (http://nocc.sourceforge.net). It is
                working well for me on my Win2kPro laptop, even though the setup for
                Xitami was a little odd.

                73, KC0HOS - Jim

                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 30, 2005
                  On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:07:53 -0000, jimkovar <jimkovar@...> wrote:
                  > If you have PHP 4.3.10 and a compatible webserver setup on your NSLU2,
                  > you might try NOCC webmail (http://nocc.sourceforge.net).

                  Thanks! I'm trying it now. I've installed it to run with my Apache
                  server. I've hit a snag, however, with the ipkg version of PHP
                  apparently not supporting IMAP. My nocc web page says, "The IMAP
                  module does not seem to be installed on this PHP setup, please see
                  NOCC's documentation." I have upgraded PHP to the latest ipkg version
                  (5.0.3-2) but there is no difference.

                  Any ideas?
                • Josh Parsons
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 30, 2005
                    On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 12:28 -0800, Jim Tucker wrote:

                    > Thanks! I'm trying it now. I've installed it to run with my Apache
                    > server. I've hit a snag, however, with the ipkg version of PHP
                    > apparently not supporting IMAP. My nocc web page says, "The IMAP
                    > module does not seem to be installed on this PHP setup, please see
                    > NOCC's documentation." I have upgraded PHP to the latest ipkg version
                    > (5.0.3-2) but there is no difference.

                    Unslung's php does not support imap yet. This is because it would need
                    to be built natively to link with libraries from cyrus-imapd.

                    If there is demand for this feature, I'll look at building php natively
                    - that would enable imap and pear support.

                    --
                    Josh Parsons
                    Philosophy Department

                  • Jim Tucker
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 30, 2005
                      On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:37:24 -0800, Josh Parsons <jbparsons@...> wrote:
                      > Unslung's php does not support imap yet.
                      >
                      > If there is demand for this feature, I'll look at building php natively
                      > - that would enable imap and pear support.

                      I would be very happy to see php support imap, please! How much
                      'demand' are you looking for?

                      (I'm not much good with the development side of things, but if it
                      helps I could offer to do some wiki documentation or something.)
                    • Jim Tucker
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 30, 2005
                        On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:10:59 -0000, na_paulhar <paulhar@...> wrote:
                        > As for a proper mail client on the NSLU2 - I've been cheating and just
                        > going into /opt/var/MailRoot/domains/<domain name>/<user>/new and
                        > doing a "vi *" to read them if my outlook client isn't available to
                        > get them properly.

                        I'm not sure I understand this correctly, but isn't XMail supposed to
                        be a full-featured mail solution that not only does POP and SMTP but
                        also replaces (or at least works with) the standard Linux mail tools?
                        Maybe I should focus on that rather than looking in the POP/SMTP
                        direction.

                        You mentioned earlier, Paul, that you didn't worry too much about the
                        "Replacing Sendmail" section of the XMail Beginners' document. Like
                        you, I didn't spend much time on that part of the equation. Can
                        anyone tell me what to try first if I want to make XMail funtion as a
                        "real" Linux mail system (and, presumably, work with tools like mutt
                        without having to worry about the fact that our mutt doesn't support
                        POP).
                      • Jim Tucker
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 30, 2005
                          On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:50:09 -0000, na_paulhar <paulhar@...> wrote:
                          > Once you've created your domain, create your users. Then you can
                          > configure Outlook to talk to the domain with the correct user/pass.

                          I don't know if you've seen PHPXmail
                          (http://phpxmail.sourceforge.net/) but I've started using it on my
                          slug. It's a PHP web front end for server, domain and account
                          administration.
                        • na_paulhar
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 31, 2005
                            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Jim Tucker <rjtucker@g...> wrote:
                            > On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:50:09 -0000, na_paulhar <paulhar@n...> wrote:
                            > > Once you've created your domain, create your users. Then you can
                            > > configure Outlook to talk to the domain with the correct user/pass.
                            >
                            > I don't know if you've seen PHPXmail
                            > (http://phpxmail.sourceforge.net/) but I've started using it on my
                            > slug. It's a PHP web front end for server, domain and account
                            > administration.

                            Interesting; thanks!