Re: Hell with qmail

  • na_paulhar
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 26 8:37 AM
      > /share/hdd/data/opt/bin/sendmail which I assume to be the version of
      > sendmail that xmail has provided. So I copied it...
      >
      > cp sendmail /usr/sbin/sendmail.xmail
      > chmod +s /usr/sbin/sendmail.xmail
      >
      > ...as per the instructions.

      *cough* maybe the package isn't perfect...

      > (2) I found no sendmail.sh script as mentioned in the instructions, so
      > I was unable to continue.

      You don't need a sendmail.sh; all that script did was do
      export MAIL_ROOT=/opt/var/MailRoot
      /opt/sbin/sendmail $*

      Any app that is trying to call sendmail directly will probably fail
      anyway unless the environment variable is globally set (how, not sure)
      or the sendmail binary gets renamed to sendmail.bin and the
      sendmail.sh gets renamed to sendmail.

      In my personal environment I've just hacked my personal scripts to
      call sendmail with the env variable set manually.

      In section "Starting XMail" the scripts already exist in
      /opt/etc/init.d/ so you won't need to edit them.

      The paths for CtrlClnt etc are wrong in the beginners docs - you'll
      have to substitute them for our environment.

      Once you've created a user account you should test a client attaching
      and popping their mail. You should also be able to get outgoing smtp
      mail going at this point without much more hassle.

      Good luck :) I suggest you document all the "funnies" you're seeing
      getting it working and we can either get a wiki page going for
      configuration, or fix the package with some docs (or both?). As I had
      the fun trying to get it to build in the first place I'd probably skip
      some basics if I tried to do it from memory.

      Kind regards

      Paul
    • Jim Tucker
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 28 11:50 AM
        On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 16:37:31 -0000, na_paulhar <paulhar@...> wrote:
        > I suggest you document all the "funnies" you're seeing
        > getting it working and we can either get a wiki page going for
        > configuration, or fix the package with some docs (or both?).

        Will do. Once I have figured out enough to make it meaningful, I
        should be able to offer material for a wiki. At the moment I am still
        at the groping-in-the-dark stage.

        > In section "Starting XMail" the scripts already exist in
        > /opt/etc/init.d/ so you won't need to edit them.

        I've made a little progress, using the
        http://www.ubaight.com/xmail/BeginnersGuide.html#StartXMail
        instructions as my guide:

        bash-2.05b# export MAIL_ROOT=/share/hdd/data/opt/var/MailRoot
        bash-2.05b# /share/hdd/data/opt/bin/XMail -Md -Pl -Sl -Fl -Cl -Ll
        SMAIL thread [00] started
        <<omitted a whole lot of similar messages>>
        [XMail 1.21 CTRL Server] started
        [XMail 1.21 POP3 Server] started
        [XMail 1.21 ESMTP Server] started
        [XMail 1.21 PSYNC Server] started
        [XMail 1.21 FINGER Server] started
        LMAIL thread [00] started
        LMAIL thread [01] started
        LMAIL thread [02] started

        > Once you've created a user account you should test a client attaching
        > and popping their mail. You should also be able to get outgoing smtp
        > mail going at this point without much more hassle.

        Using Microsoft Outlook I was able to establish a network connection,
        find the SMTP server, and find the POP3 server. However, it reported
        errors with logon to the POP3 and SMTP servers. I double-checked the
        username and password. I saw no error messages on the slug, so I'm
        not sure how to troubleshoot. Any ideas?
      • Jim Tucker
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 28 12:15 PM
          On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 16:37:31 -0000, na_paulhar <paulhar@...> wrote:
          > I suggest you document all the "funnies" you're seeing
          > getting it working

          Here's another "funny":

          Following the http://www.ubaight.com/xmail/BeginnersGuide.html#MailDomain
          instructions, I tried to create a virtual XMail domain but I got a
          timeout error

          bash-2.05b# /share/hdd/data/opt/bin/CtrlClnt -s
          mail.[mydomain].dyndns.org -u postmaster -p ciao domainadd
          [mydomain].dyndns.org
          ErrCode = -5
          ErrString = Timeout error

          (Note: I used my DynDNS domain name, not "[mydomain]")
        • na_paulhar
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 29 3:50 AM
            > Following the
            http://www.ubaight.com/xmail/BeginnersGuide.html#MailDomain
            > instructions, I tried to create a virtual XMail domain but I got a
            > timeout error
            >
            > bash-2.05b# /share/hdd/data/opt/bin/CtrlClnt -s
            > mail.[mydomain].dyndns.org -u postmaster -p ciao domainadd
            > [mydomain].dyndns.org
            > ErrCode = -5
            > ErrString = Timeout error
            >
            > (Note: I used my DynDNS domain name, not "[mydomain]")

            I did this instead:

            # CtrlClnt -s 127.0.0.1 -u postmaster -p ciao domainadd test.paul.uk
            #

            So - use 127.0.0.1 instead of your hostname. [I'm assuming you're
            doing this on your slug]

            If you use the wrong password you'll get odd messages like this:
            # CtrlClnt -s 127.0.0.1 -u postmaster -p badpasswd domainadd test.paul.uk
            ErrCode = -148
            ErrString = Controller response error
            ErrInfo = Resource lock entry not found

            The same will happen if you have the wrong admin username.

            > I double-checked the
            > username and password. I saw no error messages on the slug, so I'm
            > not sure how to troubleshoot. Any ideas?

            Logs are stored in /opt/var/MailRoot/logs. One per protocol per day.
            So for me to look for logs from today, I do this:
            # cd /opt/var/MailRoot/logs
            # ls -l *20050329*
            -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 889 Mar 29 12:40 ctrl-200503290000
            -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 89 Mar 29 09:55 pop3-200503290000
            -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 485 Mar 29 10:10 smail-200503290000
            -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1122 Mar 29 10:10 smtp-200503290000
            #

            The ctrl is the CtrlClnt log that your server is logging. These logs
            are not (mail) domain specific.

            Once you've created your domain, create your users. Then you can
            configure Outlook to talk to the domain with the correct user/pass.

            BTW - I had "fun" figuring out how to configure dyndns so initially
            test using just IP addresses so you can prove it's all working.
          • Jim Tucker
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 29 7:06 PM
              On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:u50:09 -0000, na_paulhar <paulhar@...> wrote:
              > I did this instead:
              >
              > # CtrlClnt -s 127.0.0.1 -u postmaster -p ciao domainadd test.paul.uk
              > #
              >
              > So - use 127.0.0.1 instead of your hostname. [I'm assuming you're
              > doing this on your slug]

              Thanks. That helps.

              > Once you've created your domain, create your users. Then you can
              > configure Outlook to talk to the domain with the correct user/pass.
              >
              > BTW - I had "fun" figuring out how to configure dyndns so initially
              > test using just IP addresses so you can prove it's all working.

              I had little trouble with the dyndns part of things, and I am now able
              to send and receive messages through the xmail server. (Yay!)

              Strange thing is, Outlook still complains when it tries to send its
              'test' message. In the "Test Account Settings" dialog: "Send test
              e-mail message: Unable to logon to the outgoing mail server (SMTP).
              Please verify your SMTP server and - if your server requires
              authentication - the authentication information on the 'More Settings'
              pages."

              I don't know why Outlook thinks there's a problem, or if I should even
              care. Any thoughts?
            • Jim Tucker
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 29 10:32 PM
                On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:50:09 -0000, na_paulhar <paulhar@...> wrote:
                > Once you've created your domain, create your users. Then you can
                > configure Outlook to talk to the domain with the correct user/pass.

                Great! I now have Xmail up and running out of a diversion script.

                Next, I want to find an e-mail client to run on the slug that will
                work easily with Xmail. I had a look at the version of mutt that is
                in the NSLU2 ipkg feed, but I am not sure if it will work. Any
                suggestions?
              • na_paulhar
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 29 11:10 PM
                  > I don't know why Outlook thinks there's a problem, or if I should even
                  > care. Any thoughts?

                  If you can send mail from outlook and receive it too, and externally
                  sent mail is also working, then you can ignore Outlooks test.

                  In my infrastructure I also have this setup:
                  NSLU2<-->WRT54G<--->WAG54G<--->internet . If I use my dyndns (static)
                  name (or IP address) the WAG54G/WRT54G combo stops packets coming back
                  as "loopback". *I suspect the double NAT is what's killing it* So my
                  trick was to create another entry in Outlook using the NSLU2 local IP
                  address (192.168.1.77) - it means wherever I am at least one of my
                  send-receive Outlook will fail, but I get all the mail regardless.

                  As for a proper mail client on the NSLU2 - I've been cheating and just
                  going into /opt/var/MailRoot/domains/<domain name>/<user>/new and
                  doing a "vi *" to read them if my outlook client isn't available to
                  get them properly. You can't just create mails in here manually though
                  - they will block your send-receive so you'd have to delete the manual
                  ones.

                  Regards

                  Paul
                • Jim Tucker
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 29 11:51 PM
                    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:10:59 -0000, na_paulhar <paulhar@...> wrote:
                    > As for a proper mail client on the NSLU2 - I've been cheating and just
                    > going into /opt/var/MailRoot/domains/<domain name>/<user>/new and
                    > doing a "vi *" to read them if my outlook client isn't available to
                    > get them properly. You can't just create mails in here manually though
                    > - they will block your send-receive so you'd have to delete the manual
                    > ones.

                    Neat trick! What I really want is to have a real live mail client
                    running on the slug available to send and receive messages through
                    Xmail's SMTP and POP servers. Preferably I would also like vim
                    integration for message editing or at least the option of vi-type
                    navigation keybindings. The ipkg version of mutt provided for the
                    NSLU2 does not support POP (although it could if it were compiled
                    differently, it seems). Nail is the only other available mail client
                    for the slug that I am aware of, but it seems very, very basic and I
                    have not really tried at all to make it work.

                    Sometimes I SSH into the slug and use elinks to access my Gmail
                    account, but that involves a lot of web navigation that tends to slow
                    down the core activity of reading and writing messages. It seems to
                    me that, now that I have XMail working, a really good native Linux
                    mail client would be a lot more efficient.

                    I hope that someone on this list is able to point me to such a package.
                  • jimkovar
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 30 7:07 AM
                      If you have PHP 4.3.10 and a compatible webserver setup on your NSLU2,
                      you might try NOCC webmail (http://nocc.sourceforge.net). It is
                      working well for me on my Win2kPro laptop, even though the setup for
                      Xitami was a little odd.

                      73, KC0HOS - Jim

                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 30 12:28 PM
                        On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:07:53 -0000, jimkovar <jimkovar@...> wrote:
                        > If you have PHP 4.3.10 and a compatible webserver setup on your NSLU2,
                        > you might try NOCC webmail (http://nocc.sourceforge.net).

                        Thanks! I'm trying it now. I've installed it to run with my Apache
                        server. I've hit a snag, however, with the ipkg version of PHP
                        apparently not supporting IMAP. My nocc web page says, "The IMAP
                        module does not seem to be installed on this PHP setup, please see
                        NOCC's documentation." I have upgraded PHP to the latest ipkg version
                        (5.0.3-2) but there is no difference.

                        Any ideas?
                      • Josh Parsons
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 30 12:37 PM
                          On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 12:28 -0800, Jim Tucker wrote:

                          > Thanks! I'm trying it now. I've installed it to run with my Apache
                          > server. I've hit a snag, however, with the ipkg version of PHP
                          > apparently not supporting IMAP. My nocc web page says, "The IMAP
                          > module does not seem to be installed on this PHP setup, please see
                          > NOCC's documentation." I have upgraded PHP to the latest ipkg version
                          > (5.0.3-2) but there is no difference.

                          Unslung's php does not support imap yet. This is because it would need
                          to be built natively to link with libraries from cyrus-imapd.

                          If there is demand for this feature, I'll look at building php natively
                          - that would enable imap and pear support.

                          --
                          Josh Parsons
                          Philosophy Department

                        • Jim Tucker
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 30 1:50 PM
                            On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:37:24 -0800, Josh Parsons <jbparsons@...> wrote:
                            > Unslung's php does not support imap yet.
                            >
                            > If there is demand for this feature, I'll look at building php natively
                            > - that would enable imap and pear support.

                            I would be very happy to see php support imap, please! How much
                            'demand' are you looking for?

                            (I'm not much good with the development side of things, but if it
                            helps I could offer to do some wiki documentation or something.)
                          • Jim Tucker
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 30 2:19 PM
                              On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:10:59 -0000, na_paulhar <paulhar@...> wrote:
                              > As for a proper mail client on the NSLU2 - I've been cheating and just
                              > going into /opt/var/MailRoot/domains/<domain name>/<user>/new and
                              > doing a "vi *" to read them if my outlook client isn't available to
                              > get them properly.

                              I'm not sure I understand this correctly, but isn't XMail supposed to
                              be a full-featured mail solution that not only does POP and SMTP but
                              also replaces (or at least works with) the standard Linux mail tools?
                              Maybe I should focus on that rather than looking in the POP/SMTP
                              direction.

                              You mentioned earlier, Paul, that you didn't worry too much about the
                              "Replacing Sendmail" section of the XMail Beginners' document. Like
                              you, I didn't spend much time on that part of the equation. Can
                              anyone tell me what to try first if I want to make XMail funtion as a
                              "real" Linux mail system (and, presumably, work with tools like mutt
                              without having to worry about the fact that our mutt doesn't support
                              POP).
                            • Jim Tucker
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 30 8:15 PM
                                On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:50:09 -0000, na_paulhar <paulhar@...> wrote:
                                > Once you've created your domain, create your users. Then you can
                                > configure Outlook to talk to the domain with the correct user/pass.

                                I don't know if you've seen PHPXmail
                                (http://phpxmail.sourceforge.net/) but I've started using it on my
                                slug. It's a PHP web front end for server, domain and account
                                administration.
                              • na_paulhar
                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 31 12:41 PM
                                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Jim Tucker <rjtucker@g...> wrote:
                                  > On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:50:09 -0000, na_paulhar <paulhar@n...> wrote:
                                  > > Once you've created your domain, create your users. Then you can
                                  > > configure Outlook to talk to the domain with the correct user/pass.
                                  >
                                  > I don't know if you've seen PHPXmail
                                  > (http://phpxmail.sourceforge.net/) but I've started using it on my
                                  > slug. It's a PHP web front end for server, domain and account
                                  > administration.

                                  Interesting; thanks!