FAT, FAT32 etc

  • Matt McNeill
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 19, 2004
      One of the major disadvantages in the reviews for this item (Tom's
      Hardware) is that to attach your USB drive it requires reformatting.
      It's kinda permanent really if you have one of the ubiquitous Win32
      machines. Furthermore, if like me, you have already got 100Gb+ on your
      Maxtor 250, this device is a waste of time unless you are prepared to
      shell out for another drive.

      Now, if I remember rightly from my days of playing around with Linux
      on dual boot machines, it is possible for linux to mount FAT/FAT32
      drives.

      So, if you will excuse my ignorance, what are the hurdles that face
      the idea of booting from a FAT/FAT32 mount rather than an ext3 linux
      mount?

      Or even simply mounting a FAT/FAT32 drive to share it as normal as a
      second drive having booted from a ext3 primary drive?

      Matt
    • m. allan noah
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 19, 2004
        the device does not 'boot' from any drive. it boots from ramdisk. then it
        shares out via samba fat from flash and ext2 from hd. this was a linksys
        design descision.

        linux cannot boot from fat. support for the umsdos fs is gone.

        allan

        On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, Matt McNeill wrote:

        > One of the major disadvantages in the reviews for this item (Tom's
        > Hardware) is that to attach your USB drive it requires reformatting.
        > It's kinda permanent really if you have one of the ubiquitous Win32
        > machines. Furthermore, if like me, you have already got 100Gb+ on your
        > Maxtor 250, this device is a waste of time unless you are prepared to
        > shell out for another drive.
        >
        > Now, if I remember rightly from my days of playing around with Linux
        > on dual boot machines, it is possible for linux to mount FAT/FAT32
        > drives.
        >
        > So, if you will excuse my ignorance, what are the hurdles that face
        > the idea of booting from a FAT/FAT32 mount rather than an ext3 linux
        > mount?
        >
        > Or even simply mounting a FAT/FAT32 drive to share it as normal as a
        > second drive having booted from a ext3 primary drive?
        >
        > Matt
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Jason Cooper
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 19, 2004
          Matt McNeill (matt_mcneill@...) scribbled:
          > One of the major disadvantages in the reviews for this item (Tom's
          > Hardware) is that to attach your USB drive it requires reformatting.
          > It's kinda permanent really if you have one of the ubiquitous Win32
          > machines. Furthermore, if like me, you have already got 100Gb+ on your
          > Maxtor 250, this device is a waste of time unless you are prepared to
          > shell out for another drive.
          >
          > Now, if I remember rightly from my days of playing around with Linux
          > on dual boot machines, it is possible for linux to mount FAT/FAT32
          > drives.

          Sure can.

          > So, if you will excuse my ignorance, what are the hurdles that face
          > the idea of booting from a FAT/FAT32 mount rather than an ext3 linux
          > mount?

          Two scenarios (I have the parts for the serial converter on my desk, so
          forgive the fact that I am not too far along yet :)

          1.) The stock kernel allows modules
          Get the stock kernel source and create the vfat, etc modules.
          create a new initrd image with the modules included.
          mod some scripts to allow mounting the drive w/o formatting.
          2.) No module support in stock kernel
          Get the stock kernel sources, compile a new kernel w/ vfat
          support.
          Replace the kernel with the new one.
          modify scripts etc...

          > Or even simply mounting a FAT/FAT32 drive to share it as normal as a
          > second drive having booted from a ext3 primary drive?

          Getting any linux kernel to view and use a windows partition is easy (no
          booting from it), getting the Linksys generated apps to work with it is
          another matter. Which is why my approach is to not even bother with the
          provided apps other than what is necessary in the kernel to see the
          hardware.

          hth,

          Cooper.
        • Craig Procter
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 19, 2004
            Hi all,

            my $0.02 as a Windows user - any chance for NTFS support to be added as well please?  No need to boot from the drive, but if Windows users can plug in their existing USB HDDs and not have to reformat then the device suddenly has a heck of a lot more usage for them (imho).  Really seems to be a Linksys oversight on that point.

            regards,

            Craig
            > One of the major disadvantages in the reviews for this item (Tom's
            > Hardware) is that to attach your USB drive it requires reformatting.
            > It's kinda permanent really if you have one of the ubiquitous Win32
            > machines. Furthermore, if like me, you have already got 100Gb+ on your
            > Maxtor 250, this device is a waste of time unless you are prepared to
            > shell out for another drive.
            >
            > Now, if I remember rightly from my days of playing around with Linux
            > on dual boot machines, it is possible for linux to mount FAT/FAT32
            > drives.

            Sure can.

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 19, 2004
              Craig Procter (craigwp@...) scribbled:
              > Hi all,
              >
              > my $0.02 as a Windows user - any chance for NTFS support to be added as well
              > please? No need to boot from the drive, but if Windows users can plug in
              > their existing USB HDDs and not have to reformat then the device suddenly
              > has a heck of a lot more usage for them (imho). Really seems to be a
              > Linksys oversight on that point.

              Or a bad marketing attempt at lock-in... :)

              Just looked at 2.6.8.1 kernel, NTFS read support is fine. However,
              write support is restricted, but safe. By restricted, you can write to
              files that already exist, as long as the new data is exactly the same
              length. I read this as "it ain't ready" :( Sorry.

              Cooper.