SAMBA setup as a Domain Controller

  • Don Jones
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 10, 2005
      Not sure if this one has been discussed yet, but would it be possible
      to configure the Slug to act as an NT domain controller or member
      server of a domain?
    • John Bowler
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 10, 2005
        From: Don Jones [mailto:donaldjones@...]
        >Not sure if this one has been discussed yet, but would it be possible
        >to configure the Slug to act as an NT domain controller or member
        >server of a domain?

        I'm pretty sure configuration as a PDC should work without problem - that's
        my intent but I haven't tried it yet. If by 'member server' you mean backup
        domain controller I believe there are some problems in earlier versions of
        samba with doing the full multiple domain controller setup, but, of course,
        that's the first thing to try if the documentation says it's possible...

        I've found the SAMBA docs pretty good, but I've also found it necessary to
        think about the meaning of every single possible option in
        /etc/samba/smb.conf - the configuration depends very much on the individual
        network.

        John Bowler <jbowler@...>
      • Bob Coss
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 13, 2005
          I'm trying to work on it too.

          I did get my smb.conf configured to the point where I was able to get
          a windows 98 machine to authenticate through the domain, but not an XP
          pro machine.

          Unfortunately, as soon as the slug rebooted, the settings were
          overwritten. I need to figure out how to configure things so that the
          settings will persist and so that when changes are made via the
          administrative pages, they will work.

          I installed samba 3 using ipkg, but can't figure out how to configure
          it. I'm about to create a new samba 3 config file and append my
          settings to the end of it from the samba 2 file and see if I can get
          it to work.

          Bob

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Don Jones" <donaldjones@g...> wrote:

          > Not sure if this one has been discussed yet, but would it be possible
          > to configure the Slug to act as an NT domain controller or member
          > server of a domain?
        • Donald Jones
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 13, 2005
            Sounds good Bob, let me know if you get it working. I gave it a brief
            try and could not get XP machines to join to the domain properly

            On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 02:09:39 -0000, Bob Coss <bob1@...> wrote:

            > I'm trying to work on it too.
            >
            > I did get my smb.conf configured to the point where I was able to get
            > a windows 98 machine to authenticate through the domain, but not an XP
            > pro machine.
            >
            > Unfortunately, as soon as the slug rebooted, the settings were
            > overwritten. I need to figure out how to configure things so that the
            > settings will persist and so that when changes are made via the
            > administrative pages, they will work.
            >
            > I installed samba 3 using ipkg, but can't figure out how to configure
            > it. I'm about to create a new samba 3 config file and append my
            > settings to the end of it from the samba 2 file and see if I can get
            > it to work.
            >
            > Bob
            >
            > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Don Jones" <donaldjones@g...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Not sure if this one has been discussed yet, but would it be possible
            > > to configure the Slug to act as an NT domain controller or member
            > > server of a domain?
            >
            > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the Wiki at http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 14, 2005
              > I'm trying to work on it too.

              I didn't know it was possible in Samba 2.

              > Unfortunately, as soon as the slug rebooted, the settings
              > were overwritten. I need to figure out how to configure
              > things so that the settings will persist and so that when
              > changes are made via the administrative pages, they will
              > work.

              Do like the way we patch smb.conf to support CUPS. For an example, look at
              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddPrinter under point 4. That is: sed
              to modify or insert between existing entries and "cat >>" to append new
              sections.

              best,

              -- Inge
            • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 1, 2005
                Brief answer, since private emails like this is not a priority for me - the
                answer is made to the list:

                > Hello,
                >
                > I like a lot of other people am getting started working
                > with a *NIX system since my NSLU2 purchase.
                > As all of my other client pcs are windows based, I was
                > very much
                > interested in the thought of setting up the NSLU2 as a
                > PDC. Would it be possible for someone to explain how this
                > should be done?

                To some degree, though there are no shortcuts to becoming familiar with Unix
                systems. I suggest looking on the web for the large number of HowTo's and
                tutorials on Linux and sit down and work with the system.

                Note that the Samba 2 distribution that comes with Linksys is limited -
                programs have been removed and it can not be regarded as full Samba 2. The
                extent to which everything that should work on Samba 2 works on the Linksys
                Samba is an open question.

                http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-samba-tng.html

                explains how to set up Samba 2 as domain controller. It is pretty straight
                forward, though "useradd" is not a part of the NSLU2 utils yet
                (unfortunately - it should).

                If you can't get the Linksys Samba to work as domain controller, maybe you
                should consider installing the Samba 3 package. Before doing that, however,
                I suggest that you sit down and get yourself familiar with Linux.

                > - How to modify the smb.conf (what program to use for
                > editting)

                First make a copy, then edit using vi (or nano/jove/xemacs etc depending on
                what is installed).

                Then use diff to list the changes you have made and make a diversion script
                like in http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddPrinter (pt. 4) to reapply
                these changes on each reboot with disks attached.

                > - How to create the user directories on the slug (Home
                > directories)

                Basic unix. "mkdir userdir; chown user:group userdir", where "userdir" is an
                appropriate path (preferably on the HD), "user" is the name of the user and
                "group" is the main group she's a member of.

                > - How to add the user accounts to the PDC

                Basic Unix. Edit /etc/passwd.

                best,

                -- Inge