New F/W for USB flash drive users

  • mrthreeplates
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 18, 2004

      Forgive me for using another 4MB+ of this groups upload space,
      but I thought others may be interested in this.

      My main goal is to use the NLSU2 w/only a USB flash drive
      (I hate noisy disks...).

      Anyway, I took the idea from the Brian's(?) modded f/w and created
      a small hack in /etc/rc.d/rc.local which adds the following lines:

      F=/share/flash/data/hacks/rc.flash
      if [ -f $F ] ; then
      /bin/sh $F >$F.out 2>&1
      fi

      Otherwise, this is stock Linksys F/W.

      For USB flash drive users, you should also take the hacks.tar
      file that I have uploaded and untar it in /share/flash/data
      (creating a hacks directory). The rc.flash script above will
      execute any .sh file in the hacks/rc.d subdirectory.

      I've already included example hacks which set the root passwd to
      "welcome" and automatically enable telnet. If you want
      to add more hacks, just copy in a new .sh file. If you
      want a different passwd for root, just copy in it and
      reboot. You will notice that a log file gets created that
      may be useful for debugging your hack scripts.

      Obviously, this probably won't be useful for those using
      USB HDDs (v.s. FLASH), but there may be some of you out
      there who find this useful. Or, maybe we can create a
      version that works in all possible combinations.

      Note: I haven't seen anyone post instructions on how to
      automatically enable telnet. All I did was create
      /etc/inetd.conf and run it's startup script. Seems to work.

      Regards,

      George
    • mrthreeplates
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 18, 2004
        I forgot to also add that it also overwrites
        (or resets back) the password of "ourtelnetrescueuser"
        to "welcome" as well. This is a side effect of the
        fact that the passwd file is copied after the
        user's passwd file get's changed during startup.

        Note that since I do not have a USB HDD to test with,
        I am *certain* that the startup hack scripts that I
        have provided need to be enhanced to handle the additional
        state/files that are stored in the HDD partitions.

        George

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "mrthreeplates"
        <mrthreeplates@y...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Forgive me for using another 4MB+ of this groups upload space,
        > but I thought others may be interested in this.
        >
        > My main goal is to use the NLSU2 w/only a USB flash drive
        > (I hate noisy disks...).
        >
        > Anyway, I took the idea from the Brian's(?) modded f/w and created
        > a small hack in /etc/rc.d/rc.local which adds the following lines:
        >
        > F=/share/flash/data/hacks/rc.flash
        > if [ -f $F ] ; then
        > /bin/sh $F >$F.out 2>&1
        > fi
        >
        > Otherwise, this is stock Linksys F/W.
        >
        > For USB flash drive users, you should also take the hacks.tar
        > file that I have uploaded and untar it in /share/flash/data
        > (creating a hacks directory). The rc.flash script above will
        > execute any .sh file in the hacks/rc.d subdirectory.
        >
        > I've already included example hacks which set the root passwd to
        > "welcome" and automatically enable telnet. If you want
        > to add more hacks, just copy in a new .sh file. If you
        > want a different passwd for root, just copy in it and
        > reboot. You will notice that a log file gets created that
        > may be useful for debugging your hack scripts.
        >
        > Obviously, this probably won't be useful for those using
        > USB HDDs (v.s. FLASH), but there may be some of you out
        > there who find this useful. Or, maybe we can create a
        > version that works in all possible combinations.
        >
        > Note: I haven't seen anyone post instructions on how to
        > automatically enable telnet. All I did was create
        > /etc/inetd.conf and run it's startup script. Seems to work.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > George
      • joule360
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 18, 2004
          version of inetd.conf which includes the line to enable telnet (which is put there by the
          Linksys web scripts when you use the web interface Management/telnet.cgi to do this) as
          well as enabling the internal time protocol (needed, I think, by nfs).

          I then as part of the startup symlink /etc/inetd.conf to /share/hdd/data/etc/inetd.conf,
          and restart the inetd daemon. (Note that I've taken Brian's recommendaton and moved all
          of my custom stuff over the /share/hdd/data from .../conf; I create a whole root
          filesystem (/bin, /sbin, /lib, /usr, /opt, /home, etc) on the data partition in anticipation of
          the day when I will be doing a pivot root to that filesystem).

          My startup script (/share/hdd/data/etc/rc.d/rc.local) which is run from /etc/rc.local by
          modified firmware) handles doing this:

          [ -e /etc/inetd.conf ] && rm /etc/inetd.conf
          ln -s /share/hdd/data/etc/inetd.conf /etc/inetd.conf
          /etc/rc.d/rc.xinetd

          That enables telnet on boot up.

          nl