Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: What are all those folders for?

  • Carsten Brasholt
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2005
      Hi.

      Yes, the dot means that the file is hidden.
      You can list hidden files with ls -a (or ls -la) (a for all :-)

      You are not supposed to run .profile yourself... if it is placed in your home directory it gets executed automatically whenever you log in.

      You would have to type in the file EXCATLY as shown... including the [ and ] and spaces in-between - the spaces are very important!

      export means "make my changes visible to the surrounding environment"

      I hope this helps!

      Cheers
      Carsten
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2005
        Cheers Carsten.

        V. Helpful :)

        wrote:
        > Hi.
        >
        > Yes, the dot means that the file is hidden.
        > You can list hidden files with ls -a (or ls -la) (a for all :-)
        >
        > You are not supposed to run .profile yourself... if it is placed in
        your home directory it gets executed automatically whenever you log in.

        > You would have to type in the file EXCATLY as shown... including the
        [ and ] and spaces in-between - the spaces are very important!

        > export means "make my changes visible to the surrounding environment"
        >
        > I hope this helps!
        >
        > Cheers
        > Carsten

        01-03-2005

        > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the
        Wiki at http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Service.