Re: FTP into the unSlung NLSU2

  • ohagers
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2005
      Hi Tony,

      I did an nmap from a Windows XP PC to the unslung NLSU2 and this is
      what is says:

      21/tcp open ftp
      23/tcp open telnet
      80/tcp open http
      139/tcp open netbios-ssn
      389/tcp open ldap
      3689/tcp open rendezvous

      So I think there is already i program conflicting with the ftpd demon,
      but maybe it is the ftpdemon itself? How can I figure this out on the
      NLSU2?

      Onno

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "tonymy01" <tony_h@b...> wrote:
      > p.s. /var/log/messages will tell you if there was a bind problem
      with the
      > daemon, I have this:
      >
      > <91>Mar 2 07:42:01 ftpd[13773]: control bind: Address already in use
      >
      > when attempting to "ftp -D"
      > Do the inetd.conf mod..
      > Regards
    • ohagers
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2005
        Found it! And working now. After I did an nmap to the NLSU2 machine
        from a Windows XP PC I found out that there was already a port 21
        open. I search for the inetd processes and found out that it was
        running several times. I killed al instances and then started the ftp
        daemon manually by typing ftpd -D and it works now! I can ftp into the
        NLSU2 without any problems!

        Because the ftp is behind a firewall for now, I use it locally to
        update my website (Apache on the NLSU2), when I want to have it also
        accessible from the web I will probably will use vsftpd or something
        like that. Now I have to figure out what the rights has to be for the
        uploader to correctly display the pages. I am now using [root], but I
        am sure that this will not be the correct way to make it secure.
      • Robert Hammond
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 19, 2005
          In message <d050f1+mq63@...>, ohagers <ohagers@...> writes

          >Found it! And working now. After I did an nmap to the NLSU2 machine
          >from a Windows XP PC I found out that there was already a port 21
          >open. I search for the inetd processes and found out that it was
          >running several times. I killed al instances and then started the ftp
          >daemon manually by typing ftpd -D and it works now! I can ftp into the
          >NLSU2 without any problems!

          I have also discovered the same problem and cannot run up the ProFTPD
          server that I have installed (I want to use this server because it is
          easy to configure the passive ports across my NAT router).

          Can you enlighten me with more details of how to search for the running
          port 21 process and how to kill it??

          --
          Robert Hammond
          PGP:0x154144DA