Re: [nslu2-linux] NFS mount always hangs

  • Lang Eike Michael
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2005
      Am 02.03.2005 um 02:23 schrieb mtisza:

      > I'm trying to mount the /share/flash/data nfs share to a SUSE linux
      > box.
      > I'm using nfs-utils on unslung 3.18 Beta.  I've got all the latest
      > versions, since I installed nfs-utils today.  I can see the shares
      > from the SUSE box using showmount -e.  I can mount it as well.  I can
      > navigate through the directories, but when I try to copy a file from
      > the SLUG the transfer hangs.

      Take a look in the logs/dmesg and see if you get a kernel oops or page
      fault or something of the sort (can't remember exactly). I had that
      happen to me in a similar fashion (I wanted to copy stuff *to* the
      slug), after a few k I'd get the error and nfs became a no-go until
      reboot.

      Suspecting unslung I went back to the Linksys firmware only two
      discover thantupon the second samba connection and after transfering a
      few dozen to hundred megs something even worse would happen, the entire
      slug keeled over, not even reacting to the power button (sometimes I
      could ping it, but that was it). Bottom line is I sent it in to have it
      repaired/replaced.

      So "hardware defect" might be a possible explanation.

      Regards,
      Eike

      --
      Eike M. Lang
      mail@...
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2005
        On 2 Mar 2005, at 16:22, Lang Eike Michael wrote:
        > Suspecting unslung I went back to the Linksys firmware only two
        > discover thantupon the second samba connection and after transfering a
        > few dozen to hundred megs something even worse would happen, the entire
        > slug keeled over, not even reacting to the power button (sometimes I
        > could ping it, but that was it). Bottom line is I sent it in to have it
        > repaired/replaced.
        >
        > So "hardware defect" might be a possible explanation.

        What stock linksys firmware did you go back to? It's just I'm wondering
        whether the crashing is related to this bug that Linksys fixed in the
        2.3 R29 Firmware maybe? Probably not as you're reporting it crashing
        after a few hundred megs (and it affecting NFS as-well as Samba) but
        its perhaps worth considering.

        "Firmware version 2.3 Release 29
        1.) Fixed large file lockup issue caused by files larger than 1GB being
        transfered across the network."

        > Regards,
        > Eike
        >
        > --
        > Eike M. Lang
        > mail@...

        Cheers,
        ----
        Philip Johnson (plasticmonkey@...)
      • Eike M. Lang
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4, 2005
          Am Donnerstag, den 03.03.2005, 17:08 +0000 schrieb Philip Johnson:

          [locked slug]

          > What stock linksys firmware did you go back to? It's just I'm
          > wondering
          > whether the crashing is related to this bug that Linksys fixed in the
          > 2.3 R29 Firmware maybe? Probably not as you're reporting it crashing
          > after a few hundred megs (and it affecting NFS as-well as Samba) but
          > its perhaps worth considering.
          >
          > "Firmware version 2.3 Release 29
          > 1.) Fixed large file lockup issue caused by files larger than 1GB
          > being
          > transfered across the network."

          I went back to 2.3 Release 29, didn't help. Didn't expect it to, either:
          I didn't transfer large files, just large amounts of data (couple
          hundred mp3's).

          Best Regards,
          Eike

          --