What are all those folders for?

  • turbocharged_5
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2005
      Hi All,

      Forgive the stupid question but the NSLU2 is my first real experience
      with Linux.

      Here I am having unslung my slug and managed to get remote access via
      SSH and SCP but even with my many years of dos/windows excperience I'm
      still struggling to grasp what it is I now have access too :(

      Just what are all those folders for?

      /bin - contains executables available to... the root only, perhaps, or
      everyone?
      /sbin - contains more executables perhaps these are ment to be for
      everyone?
      /opt - seems to be a symbolic link to /share/hdd/conf/opt/ with what
      looks to be a duplication of the root with another /bin and /sbin ...
      this one lives on the HDD I beleive.
      /usr - has yet another /bin and /sbin? why?

      What created the xxx.old folders and can I remove them?

      Where should the executables be? I tried setting up Nano and after the
      "ipkg install nano" was done nano failed to run as it was an
      unrecognised command. Turns out it was in /opt/bin and when I copied
      it to the root /bin it worked fine.

      What is the equivalent of paths on linux?

      Is there any good documentation on this subject - ie. whats what and
      where what lives :)

      Any help will be greatfully accepted :)

      Cheers,
      Turbo
    • Carsten Brasholt
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2005
        Hi!

        /bin is typically for user-execuables
        /sbin is typically for superuser executables

        You cannot execute nano because /opt/bin is not in your PATH
        try echo $PATH and you'll see.

        I have created a .profile (to be placed in you home-directory) which does a few checks and setup's.
        it will amongst other things add /opt/bin to your PATH....
        Look below and be inspired :-)

        Cheers
        Carsten

        #! /bin/sh
        #
        # Add directories to PATH if they exist
        #
        [ -d /usr/local/bin ] && PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin
        [ -d /opt/bin ] && PATH=$PATH:/opt/bin
        export PATH

        export TERM=ansi
[...]

        [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the Wiki at http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]

      • turbocharged_5
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2005
          Hi Carsten

          Thanx for the help :)... every bit counts and I'm gradually getting to
          grips with things.

          Am I correct in assuming a file prefixed with a '.' is marked as a
          hidden file?

          Is it possible to list hidden files with the ls command?

          How does your .profile work as '-d /bin' always produces the message
          "-d: No such file or directory" even when the directory definatly does
          exist.

          What is the export for and why does it export PATH is it not alreay
          set by the PATH=$PATH:/xxx/xxx/

          Cheers
          Turbo

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Carsten Brasholt" <carsten@b...>
          wrote:
          > Hi!
          >
          > /bin is typically for user-execuables
          > /sbin is typically for superuser executables
          >
          > You cannot execute nano because /opt/bin is not in your PATH
          > try echo $PATH and you'll see.
          >
          > I have created a .profile (to be placed in you home-directory) which
          does a few checks and setup's.
          > it will amongst other things add /opt/bin to your PATH....
          > Look below and be inspired :-)
          >
          > Cheers
          > Carsten
          >
          > #! /bin/sh
          > #
          > # Add directories to PATH if they exist
          > #
          > [ -d /usr/local/bin ] && PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin
          > [ -d /opt/bin ] && PATH=$PATH:/opt/bin
          > export PATH
          >
          > export TERM=ansi

          Service.

          > Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
        • Carsten Brasholt
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2005
            Hi.

            Yes, the dot means that the file is hidden.
            You can list hidden files with ls -a (or ls -la) (a for all :-)

            You are not supposed to run .profile yourself... if it is placed in your home directory it gets executed automatically whenever you log in.

            You would have to type in the file EXCATLY as shown... including the [ and ] and spaces in-between - the spaces are very important!

            export means "make my changes visible to the surrounding environment"

            I hope this helps!

            wrote:
            > Hi!
            >
            > /bin is typically for user-execuables
            > /sbin is typically for superuser executables
            >
            > You cannot execute nano because /opt/bin is not in your PATH
            > try echo $PATH and you'll see.
            >
            > I have created a .profile (to be placed in you home-directory) which
            does a few checks and setup's.
            > it will amongst other things add /opt/bin to your PATH....
            > Look below and be inspired :-)
            >
            > Cheers
            > Carsten
            >
            > #! /bin/sh
            > #
            > # Add directories to PATH if they exist
            > #
            > [ -d /usr/local/bin ] && PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin
            > [ -d /opt/bin ] && PATH=$PATH:/opt/bin
            > export PATH
            >
            > export TERM=ansi

            Service.

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 2, 2005
              Cheers Carsten.

              V. Helpful :)

              wrote:
              > Hi.
              >
              > Yes, the dot means that the file is hidden.
              > You can list hidden files with ls -a (or ls -la) (a for all :-)
              >
              > You are not supposed to run .profile yourself... if it is placed in
              your home directory it gets executed automatically whenever you log in.

              > You would have to type in the file EXCATLY as shown... including the
              [ and ] and spaces in-between - the spaces are very important!

              > export means "make my changes visible to the surrounding environment"
              >
              > I hope this helps!
              >
              > Cheers
              > Carsten

              01-03-2005

              > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the
              Wiki at http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Service.