Wish: MySql for NSLU2

  • Spöttel Otmar
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2 1:45 AM
      Hello,

      would it possible to port mysql to NSLU2?
      For many PHP Project it is a requirement to have a installed mysql database.

      If anyone have the knowledge to do the porting, please can you do this for
      us "stupid" NSLU2 users ;-))

      Many thanx!

      Otmar
    • turbocharged_5
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2 1:56 AM
        What about DB.* as and alternative? I believe its an open source
        database system designed for embedded devices. It may be worth a look
        :).

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Spöttel Otmar
        <otmar.spoettel@g...> wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > would it possible to port mysql to NSLU2?
        > For many PHP Project it is a requirement to have a installed mysql
        database.

        > If anyone have the knowledge to do the porting, please can you do
        this for
        > us "stupid" NSLU2 users ;-))
        >
        > Many thanx!
        >
        > Otmar
      • Spöttel Otmar
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2 3:25 AM
          It's for me no alternative. Because the most "Ready-to Install" CMS systems
          need a mySQL database.
          Have a look on http://www.opensourcecms.com/

          The only good alternative with text- / filebased "database" is GuppY. But
          there are some main problems. The developer group are france people and i
          don't understand france...
          The language support (i.e. english /german) is very buggy. Many plugins
          won't work well in other language as france.
          The Support forum is available in france and english. But in english you get
          very less help...

          Regards

          Otmar
          What about DB.* as and alternative? I believe its an open source
          database system designed for embedded devices. It may be worth a look
          :).
        • Dave Redfern
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2 5:36 AM
            Being one of the "Stupid" I would also like MySQL support but don't
            really know how to go about it.

            Shame its not a package.

            Cheers

            Dave
          • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2 5:45 AM
              Being rather ignorant here: To what extent do you guys need MySQL? Could
              other SQL servers do the same for you?

              best,

              -- Inge

              > Being one of the "Stupid" I would also like MySQL
              > support but don't
              > really know how to go about it.
              >

              > Shame its not a package.
              >
              > Cheers
              >
              > Dave
              >

              > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving
              > to the Wiki at http://www.nslu2-linux.org ] Yahoo! Groups
              > Links

            • Katherine
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 2 7:53 AM
                Hi Spöttel,
                I have successfully installed Movable Type with the BerkeleyDB back
                end. I too have been trying to get MySQL compiled on the NSLU2 but I
                have not been successfull.

                <otmar.spoettel@g...> wrote:
                > It's for me no alternative. Because the most "Ready-to Install"
                CMS systems
                > need a mySQL database.
                > Have a look on http://www.opensourcecms.com/
                >
                > The only good alternative with text- / filebased "database" is
                GuppY. But
                > there are some main problems. The developer group are france
                people and i
                > don't understand france...
                > The language support (i.e. english /german) is very buggy. Many
                plugins
                > won't work well in other language as france.
                > The Support forum is available in france and english. But in
                english you get
                > very less help...
                >
                > Regards
                >
                > Otmar

              • Spöttel Otmar
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 2 8:22 AM
                  I'am not sure, because i am in this case (mySQL) a noop.
                  I see only in the installation description from many CMS Systems, that they
                  are pre configured for mySQL. In the most cases you must only type in the
                  sql database name, sql username and password.
                  So i think the easiest way for many PHP projects (all thea use a
                  Database...) is, that we have also a mySQL database system running on the
                  NSLU2

                  Otmar

                  > Being rather ignorant here: To what extent do you guys need MySQL? Could
                  > other SQL servers do the same for you?
                  >
                  > best,
                  >
                  > -- Inge

                • hoffspot
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 22 12:53 PM
                    Hi Katherine,
                    I've been working on getting mysql compiled on the good old
                    slug and would like to collaborate if you've learned anything more.
                    I have parameters for the configure script that create makefiles
                    based on the native environment provided at http://www.nslu2-
                    linux.org/. The parameters are as follows:

                    ./configure --with-named-thread-libs=/opt/armeb/armv5b-softfloat-
                    linux/lib/libpthread.so --build=i686-build_pc-linux-gnu --
                    target=armv5b-softfloat-linux --with-named-curses-
                    libs=/opt/lib/libncurses.so.5.4 --with-low-memory --with-mysqld-
                    user=mysql \
                    --prefix=/opt/mysql --localstatedir=/opt/mysql/data

                    I used the named thread libs to get around the LinuxThreads error
                    and the curses to get around a curses not found error I was getting
                    from configure. Unfortunately during the compile, a c file in mysys
                    gets errors. Specifically, it can't find a reference to a thread
                    mutex holding variable. My thought is that the pthread libs
                    compiled with the native environment are screwy but I'm a rookie at
                    this. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly
                    appreciated. My next steps are to figure out how to compile the
                    glibc libs and linuxthreads again to try an eliminate that as an
                    issue.

                    Regards,
                    Tom

                    .com, "Katherine" <kate@b...> wrote:

                    > Hi Spöttel,
                    > I have successfully installed Movable Type with the BerkeleyDB
                    back
                    > end. I too have been trying to get MySQL compiled on the NSLU2 but
                    > have not been successfull.
                    >
                    > -K

                  • Katherine
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 1, 2005
                      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "hoffspot" <thoffman2@a...> wrote:

                      > Hi Katherine,
                      > I've been working on getting mysql compiled on the good old
                      > slug and would like to collaborate if you've learned anything more.

                      Hi Tom, I haven't learned anything more. I used a similar set of
                      configure parameters but I've never been able to get it to work. I'll
                      try it today using your parameters to see if I can reproduce your
                      error.

                      -Katherine