NFS mount always hangs

  • mtisza
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
      Hi all,

      I'm trying to mount the /share/flash/data nfs share to a SUSE linux box.
      I'm using nfs-utils on unslung 3.18 Beta. I've got all the latest
      versions, since I installed nfs-utils today. I can see the shares
      from the SUSE box using showmount -e. I can mount it as well. I can
      navigate through the directories, but when I try to copy a file from
      the SLUG the transfer hangs.

      Thanks,
      Miki
    • Lang Eike Michael
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2005
        Am 02.03.2005 um 02:23 schrieb mtisza:

        > I'm trying to mount the /share/flash/data nfs share to a SUSE linux
        > box.
        > I'm using nfs-utils on unslung 3.18 Beta.  I've got all the latest
        > versions, since I installed nfs-utils today.  I can see the shares
        > from the SUSE box using showmount -e.  I can mount it as well.  I can
        > navigate through the directories, but when I try to copy a file from
        > the SLUG the transfer hangs.

        Take a look in the logs/dmesg and see if you get a kernel oops or page
        fault or something of the sort (can't remember exactly). I had that
        happen to me in a similar fashion (I wanted to copy stuff *to* the
        slug), after a few k I'd get the error and nfs became a no-go until
        reboot.

        Suspecting unslung I went back to the Linksys firmware only two
        discover thantupon the second samba connection and after transfering a
        few dozen to hundred megs something even worse would happen, the entire
        slug keeled over, not even reacting to the power button (sometimes I
        could ping it, but that was it). Bottom line is I sent it in to have it
        repaired/replaced.

        So "hardware defect" might be a possible explanation.

        Regards,
        Eike

        --
        Eike M. Lang
        mail@...
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2005
          On 2 Mar 2005, at 16:22, Lang Eike Michael wrote:
          > Suspecting unslung I went back to the Linksys firmware only two
          > discover thantupon the second samba connection and after transfering a
          > few dozen to hundred megs something even worse would happen, the entire
          > slug keeled over, not even reacting to the power button (sometimes I
          > could ping it, but that was it). Bottom line is I sent it in to have it
          > repaired/replaced.
          >
          > So "hardware defect" might be a possible explanation.

          What stock linksys firmware did you go back to? It's just I'm wondering
          whether the crashing is related to this bug that Linksys fixed in the
          2.3 R29 Firmware maybe? Probably not as you're reporting it crashing
          after a few hundred megs (and it affecting NFS as-well as Samba) but
          its perhaps worth considering.

          "Firmware version 2.3 Release 29
          1.) Fixed large file lockup issue caused by files larger than 1GB being
          transfered across the network."

          > Regards,
          > Eike
          >
          > --
          > Eike M. Lang
          > mail@...

          Cheers,
          ----
          Philip Johnson (plasticmonkey@...)
        • Eike M. Lang
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 4, 2005
            Am Donnerstag, den 03.03.2005, 17:08 +0000 schrieb Philip Johnson:

            [locked slug]

            > What stock linksys firmware did you go back to? It's just I'm
            > wondering
            > whether the crashing is related to this bug that Linksys fixed in the
            > 2.3 R29 Firmware maybe? Probably not as you're reporting it crashing
            > after a few hundred megs (and it affecting NFS as-well as Samba) but
            > its perhaps worth considering.
            >
            > "Firmware version 2.3 Release 29
            > 1.) Fixed large file lockup issue caused by files larger than 1GB
            > being
            > transfered across the network."

            I went back to 2.3 Release 29, didn't help. Didn't expect it to, either:
            I didn't transfer large files, just large amounts of data (couple
            hundred mp3's).

            Best Regards,
            Eike

            --