RE: [nslu2-linux] Re: FTP into the unSlung NLSU2

  • tonymy01
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1 1:21 PM
      Message
      p.s.  /var/log/messages will tell you if there was a bind problem with the daemon, I have this:

      <91>Mar  2 07:42:01 ftpd[13773]: control bind: Address already in use

      when attempting to "ftp -D"
      Do the inetd.conf mod..
      Regards
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2 8:40 AM
        Hi Tony,

        I edit the inetd.conf file and then typed /bin/inetd. In the
        /var/log/messages file, these lines appear:

        <91>Mar 2 17:07:34 ftpd[1002]: control bind: Address already in use
        <27>Mar 2 17:22:35 inetd[1040]: ftp/tcp: bind: Address already in use
        <27>Mar 2 17:22:35 inetd[1040]: telnet/tcp: bind: Address already in use
        <27>Mar 2 17:32:29 inetd[1040]: telnet/tcp: bind: Address already in use
        <27>Mar 2 17:32:29 inetd[1040]: ftp/tcp: bind: Address already in use

        I am just starting with Linux, maybe I have to start /bin/inetd not
        from the command line. It seems to me that the FTP port (21?) is
        already taken by some application? Is there any way to check this out?

        Because I tried also other ftp programs like vsftpd, and they didn't
        work, it looks like there is some conflict.

        Onno

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "tonymy01" <tony_h@b...> wrote:
        > p.s. /var/log/messages will tell you if there was a bind problem
        with the
        > daemon, I have this:
        >
        > <91>Mar 2 07:42:01 ftpd[13773]: control bind: Address already in use
        >
        > when attempting to "ftp -D"
        > Do the inetd.conf mod..
        > Regards
      • ohagers
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2 8:57 AM
          Hi Tony,

          I did an nmap from a Windows XP PC to the unslung NLSU2 and this is
          what is says:

          21/tcp open ftp
          23/tcp open telnet
          80/tcp open http
          139/tcp open netbios-ssn
          389/tcp open ldap
          3689/tcp open rendezvous

          So I think there is already i program conflicting with the ftpd demon,
          but maybe it is the ftpdemon itself? How can I figure this out on the
          NLSU2?

          Onno

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "tonymy01" <tony_h@b...> wrote:
          > p.s. /var/log/messages will tell you if there was a bind problem
          with the
          > daemon, I have this:
          >
          > <91>Mar 2 07:42:01 ftpd[13773]: control bind: Address already in use
          >
          > when attempting to "ftp -D"
          > Do the inetd.conf mod..
          > Regards
        • ohagers
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2 10:25 AM
            Found it! And working now. After I did an nmap to the NLSU2 machine
            from a Windows XP PC I found out that there was already a port 21
            open. I search for the inetd processes and found out that it was
            running several times. I killed al instances and then started the ftp
            daemon manually by typing ftpd -D and it works now! I can ftp into the
            NLSU2 without any problems!

            Because the ftp is behind a firewall for now, I use it locally to
            update my website (Apache on the NLSU2), when I want to have it also
            accessible from the web I will probably will use vsftpd or something
            like that. Now I have to figure out what the rights has to be for the
            uploader to correctly display the pages. I am now using [root], but I
            am sure that this will not be the correct way to make it secure.
          • Robert Hammond
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 19 12:57 PM
              In message <d050f1+mq63@...>, ohagers <ohagers@...> writes

              >Found it! And working now. After I did an nmap to the NLSU2 machine
              >from a Windows XP PC I found out that there was already a port 21
              >open. I search for the inetd processes and found out that it was
              >running several times. I killed al instances and then started the ftp
              >daemon manually by typing ftpd -D and it works now! I can ftp into the
              >NLSU2 without any problems!

              I have also discovered the same problem and cannot run up the ProFTPD
              server that I have installed (I want to use this server because it is
              easy to configure the passive ports across my NAT router).

              Can you enlighten me with more details of how to search for the running
              port 21 process and how to kill it??

              --
              Robert Hammond
              PGP:0x154144DA