RE: [nslu2-linux] Re: FTP into the unSlung NLSU2

  • tonymy01
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2005
      Message
      ftpd -D doesn't show up in the process list for me either, do the inetd.conf mod and it will (should) work.   It appears the process only shows up when you attempt to ftp into the SLUG (well, certainly for the inetd.conf mod)

      Regards
      Tony.
      --
      http://tonyspage.abock.de for some Topfield info including turning those recordings into DVDs, adding features with the open source TAP environment etc...
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2005
        Message
        p.s.  /var/log/messages will tell you if there was a bind problem with the daemon, I have this:

        <91>Mar  2 07:42:01 ftpd[13773]: control bind: Address already in use

        when attempting to "ftp -D"
        Do the inetd.conf mod..
        Regards

        Hi Tony, thanks for the tip. But it is still not working. Starting
        FTPD -D gives no errors, but after a ps -ef | grep ftpd* there are no
        processes running ftpd. Is there some kind of logoption, so I can
        check which error the ftpd program issues?

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, tonymy01 <tony_h@b...> wrote:
        > If your SLUG is unslung /opt/libexec is equal to
        /share/hdd/conf/opt/libexec/ (as /opt is symlinked to /share/hdd/conf.
          If you did an "ls -l" in the root directory you would see this).

        > I followed these steps with no probs (I wrote this wiki entry):
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Puppy/PuppyCron
        > Regards
        > --
        > Tonymy01
        > --
        > http://tonyspage.abock.de

        [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the Wiki at http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]

      • ohagers
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2005
          Hi Tony,

          I edit the inetd.conf file and then typed /bin/inetd. In the
          /var/log/messages file, these lines appear:

          <91>Mar 2 17:07:34 ftpd[1002]: control bind: Address already in use
          <27>Mar 2 17:22:35 inetd[1040]: ftp/tcp: bind: Address already in use
          <27>Mar 2 17:22:35 inetd[1040]: telnet/tcp: bind: Address already in use
          <27>Mar 2 17:32:29 inetd[1040]: telnet/tcp: bind: Address already in use
          <27>Mar 2 17:32:29 inetd[1040]: ftp/tcp: bind: Address already in use

          I am just starting with Linux, maybe I have to start /bin/inetd not
          from the command line. It seems to me that the FTP port (21?) is
          already taken by some application? Is there any way to check this out?

          Because I tried also other ftp programs like vsftpd, and they didn't
          work, it looks like there is some conflict.

          Onno

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "tonymy01" <tony_h@b...> wrote:
          > p.s. /var/log/messages will tell you if there was a bind problem
          with the
          > daemon, I have this:
          >
          > <91>Mar 2 07:42:01 ftpd[13773]: control bind: Address already in use
          >
          > when attempting to "ftp -D"
          > Do the inetd.conf mod..
          > Regards
        • ohagers
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2005
            Hi Tony,

            I did an nmap from a Windows XP PC to the unslung NLSU2 and this is
            what is says:

            21/tcp open ftp
            23/tcp open telnet
            80/tcp open http
            139/tcp open netbios-ssn
            389/tcp open ldap
            3689/tcp open rendezvous

            So I think there is already i program conflicting with the ftpd demon,
            but maybe it is the ftpdemon itself? How can I figure this out on the
            NLSU2?

            Onno

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "tonymy01" <tony_h@b...> wrote:
            > p.s. /var/log/messages will tell you if there was a bind problem
            with the
            > daemon, I have this:
            >
            > <91>Mar 2 07:42:01 ftpd[13773]: control bind: Address already in use
            >
            > when attempting to "ftp -D"
            > Do the inetd.conf mod..
            > Regards
          • ohagers
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2, 2005
              Found it! And working now. After I did an nmap to the NLSU2 machine
              from a Windows XP PC I found out that there was already a port 21
              open. I search for the inetd processes and found out that it was
              running several times. I killed al instances and then started the ftp
              daemon manually by typing ftpd -D and it works now! I can ftp into the
              NLSU2 without any problems!

              Because the ftp is behind a firewall for now, I use it locally to
              update my website (Apache on the NLSU2), when I want to have it also
              accessible from the web I will probably will use vsftpd or something
              like that. Now I have to figure out what the rights has to be for the
              uploader to correctly display the pages. I am now using [root], but I
              am sure that this will not be the correct way to make it secure.
            • Robert Hammond
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 19, 2005
                In message <d050f1+mq63@...>, ohagers <ohagers@...> writes

                >Found it! And working now. After I did an nmap to the NLSU2 machine
                >from a Windows XP PC I found out that there was already a port 21
                >open. I search for the inetd processes and found out that it was
                >running several times. I killed al instances and then started the ftp
                >daemon manually by typing ftpd -D and it works now! I can ftp into the
                >NLSU2 without any problems!

                I have also discovered the same problem and cannot run up the ProFTPD
                server that I have installed (I want to use this server because it is
                easy to configure the passive ports across my NAT router).

                Can you enlighten me with more details of how to search for the running
                port 21 process and how to kill it??

                --
                Robert Hammond
                PGP:0x154144DA