How to add a user with a home directory and profile?

  • n1xnx
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2005
      I've unslung, installed tools, and am almost ready to try compiling
      "Hello, World" level proggies.

      In aid of this, I need to create a "normal" non-root user and give it
      a home directory and profile. No sweat on a non-embedded system, BUT
      the Linksys add-user tool on the Web admin system creates a user with
      no default directory; when I try to log in via Telnet with this user,
      it fails. Also, there's no way to set the user's default shell (no
      surprise, as Linksys didn't anticipate users actually logging into the
      slug via Telnet).

      Can someone tell me how to do this properly? With the passwd file
      echoed and mirrored and overwritten five ways from Sunday by the boot
      code, I'd like to get it right the first time (and add the
      instructions to the HowTo page so the question needn't be asked
      again).

      I am also attempting to write a shell script to set the environment
      variables to use the native toolchain, and while I can get the "export
      PATH=$PATH:/opt/bin" type stuff to work from a command line, the SAME
      commands don't do anything when executed as a shell script. I've tried
      1) writing the shell script on a Mandrake box with KEdit and copying
      it to the slug, and 2) creating the shell script line-by-line viw
      Telnet by appending the output of "echo" to a disk file. File LOOKS
      fine, should have the right kind of line terminations, gives no errors
      when run, but has no effect. Suggestions?
    • Geert Janssen
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 5, 2005
        My /etc/passwd is a symlink to /share/hdd/conf/passwd.
        I create new users via the web interface. After that I change the /etc/passwd
        with the jove editor such that new users have a home directory in /share/hdd/data
        and get /opt/bin/bash as shell. Make sure /opt/bin/bash is listed in /etc/shells.
        If you didn't install the bash ipkg package then you can use /opt/bin/sh from
        the new busybox package (and when lacking that you can use /bin/sh).
        Here is a line for a user in /etc/passwd:

        rab:scLziABCYOUA:2003:2003:White Rabbit:/share/hdd/data/rab:/opt/bin/bash

        You must manually create /share/hdd/data/rab and give it the correct permissions
        and ownership: chown rab.rab /share/hdd/data/rab and
        chmod 700 /share/hdd/data/rab.