Re: [nslu2-linux] Auto Power-on

  • Voight
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2005
      > (In fact the APS UPS came with Linux support, so the shutdown can be
      > automated, unfortunately the driver needs a 2.6 kernel so I haven't done it
      > yet...)

      Were did you get it?
    • Jon Pounder
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2005

        >> (In fact the APS UPS came with Linux support, so the shutdown can be
        >> automated, unfortunately the driver needs a 2.6 kernel so I haven't done
        >> it
        >> yet...)
        >
        > Were did you get it?

        check the NUT project for linux, there are drivers for lots of ups's.
        some ups's also have snmp built in or support an add on box that handles
        it via their serial port. (circuitry is actually very similar to a slug)

        I am interested in porting netsnmp to the slug but just havn't got to it
        yet. If no one else has got to it yet, I expect to have a bunch of time
        available end of April/May timeframe so will work on that then. It should
        be a pretty straightforward port though.

        > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the Wiki at
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Jon Pounder

        _/_/_/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/_/ _/ _/ _/_/_/_/
        _/ _/_/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/ _/ _/_/
        _/ _/ _/_/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/ _/
        _/_/_/ _/ _/ _/_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/ _/ _/_/_/_/

        Inline Internet Systems Inc.
        Thorold, Ontario, Canada

        Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
        www.inline.net
        www.ihtml.com
        www.ihtmlmerchant.com
        www.opayc.com
      • John Bowler
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2005
          From: Voight [mailto:voights@...]
          >jbowler:
          >> (In fact the APS UPS came with Linux support, so the shutdown can be
          >> automated, unfortunately the driver needs a 2.6 kernel so I haven't done
          it
          >> yet...)
          >
          >Were did you get it?

          I meant 'the APC UPS' - APC back-ups XS1500 (www.apc.com) but that doesn't
          mention an XS1500 - I think it's actually a BR1500.

          I used a Belkin 1200VA UPS before, the controller board seems to have failed
          on it (definately not the battery!) I guess it worked for a couple of
          years... (I do have a leviton surge protector at the main power
          distribution panel.)

          Both the Belkin and the APC have USB interfaces. I got the Linux drivers
          from the APC web site. The supplied software is Windows/SNMP stuff in both
          cases, but the APC web site claims their PowerChute software supports Linux.

          It seems logical to me to plug the UPS into a slug - the disk server is the
          most important thing to protect and the slug should be able to handle SNMP
          for the other clients. Since the slug supports USB this seems ideal.

          John Bowler <jbowler@...>