RE: [nslu2-linux] Auto Power-on

  • John Bowler
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 28, 2005
      From: Rick Huang [mailto:rhuang@...]
      >I strongly suggest that you actually test the entire setup and time the
      >amount of time your UPS can stay up.

      But it doesn't really help - how long is a power outage? ;-)

      I.e. knowing that the UPS will stay up for 4hours 33.5minutes is no help at
      all 4 1/2 hours into a power outage.

      Most of the power supply problems I see are less than 1 second. Sometimes,
      but not always, that's long enough to reset some or other piece of
      equipment. So I use the UPS to stop this happening, but if the power is out
      for 15 minutes I assume that the UPS won't be sufficient. At this point all
      I need is enough power to shut everything down safely. (In fact the APS UPS
      came with Linux support, so the shutdown can be automated, unfortunately the
      driver needs a 2.6 kernel so I haven't done it yet...)

      Now auto power on might be convenient but a UPS is still essential unless
      you are absolutely confident that pulling the power on every file system
      (jffs2, ext2, ext3, nfs, samba/cifs) is absolutely safe. I'm fairly
      confident about journalled file systems (jffs2, ext3) and network file
      systems have to be robust anyway because of network failures, but I still
      want a controlled shutdown 'cause I'm not that confident.

      So my conclusion is that I have to have a UPS and the auto power on is just
      icing on the cake.

      One thing that *would* be nice though is to run everything off battery - all
      the PSUs are 5V or 12V, it seems pointless and highly inefficient to convert
      the UPS 6V or 12V to 120V then back to 12/5.

      John Bowler <jbowler@...>
    • Voight
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2005
        > (In fact the APS UPS came with Linux support, so the shutdown can be
        > automated, unfortunately the driver needs a 2.6 kernel so I haven't done it
        > yet...)

        Were did you get it?
      • Jon Pounder
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2005

          >> (In fact the APS UPS came with Linux support, so the shutdown can be
          >> automated, unfortunately the driver needs a 2.6 kernel so I haven't done
          >> it
          >> yet...)
          >
          > Were did you get it?

          check the NUT project for linux, there are drivers for lots of ups's.
          some ups's also have snmp built in or support an add on box that handles
          it via their serial port. (circuitry is actually very similar to a slug)

          I am interested in porting netsnmp to the slug but just havn't got to it
          yet. If no one else has got to it yet, I expect to have a bunch of time
          available end of April/May timeframe so will work on that then. It should
          be a pretty straightforward port though.

          > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the Wiki at
          > http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Jon Pounder

          _/_/_/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/_/ _/ _/ _/_/_/_/
          _/ _/_/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/ _/ _/_/
          _/ _/ _/_/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/ _/
          _/_/_/ _/ _/ _/_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/ _/ _/_/_/_/

          Inline Internet Systems Inc.
          Thorold, Ontario, Canada

          Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
          www.inline.net
          www.ihtml.com
          www.ihtmlmerchant.com
          www.opayc.com
        • John Bowler
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2005
            From: Voight [mailto:voights@...]
            >jbowler:
            >> (In fact the APS UPS came with Linux support, so the shutdown can be
            >> automated, unfortunately the driver needs a 2.6 kernel so I haven't done
            it
            >> yet...)
            >
            >Were did you get it?

            I meant 'the APC UPS' - APC back-ups XS1500 (www.apc.com) but that doesn't
            mention an XS1500 - I think it's actually a BR1500.

            I used a Belkin 1200VA UPS before, the controller board seems to have failed
            on it (definately not the battery!) I guess it worked for a couple of
            years... (I do have a leviton surge protector at the main power
            distribution panel.)

            Both the Belkin and the APC have USB interfaces. I got the Linux drivers
            from the APC web site. The supplied software is Windows/SNMP stuff in both
            cases, but the APC web site claims their PowerChute software supports Linux.

            It seems logical to me to plug the UPS into a slug - the disk server is the
            most important thing to protect and the slug should be able to handle SNMP
            for the other clients. Since the slug supports USB this seems ideal.

            John Bowler <jbowler@...>