RE: [nslu2-linux] pppd on NSLU2

  • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
      Well, yeah. I have made the kernel modules, but I'm still a bit uncertain
      about ppp-mppe which needs some floating point library functions from the
      kernel. I did make a .mk and source files for pppd, but haven't started
      testing yet. What is your intended use (ppp-mppe is needed for compression)?
      Mine was VPN with IPsec, but I kind of abandoned it for use on the slug and
      compiled it for my Linksys WiFi router instead (WRT54GS) - for some reason I
      believe my slug will be a lot more unstable than the WRT.

      best,

      -- inge

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
        Hey Inge,

        Thanks for the reply. As far as my use, I was thinking of connecting
        the serial port of my DirecTiVo to the slug via PPP so it can make
        it's daily calls out over the net. I don't think any type of
        compression is required. Here are Windows-centric instructions for the
        setup:

        http://www.tivohelp.com/archive/tivohelp.swiki.net/45.html

        Does that make sense?

        Gill

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
        <i.b.arnesen@f...> wrote:
        > Well, yeah. I have made the kernel modules, but I'm still a bit
        uncertain
        > about ppp-mppe which needs some floating point library functions
        from the
        > kernel. I did make a .mk and source files for pppd, but haven't started
        > testing yet. What is your intended use (ppp-mppe is needed for
        compression)?
        > Mine was VPN with IPsec, but I kind of abandoned it for use on the
        slug and
        > compiled it for my Linksys WiFi router instead (WRT54GS) - for some
        reason I
        > believe my slug will be a lot more unstable than the WRT.
        >

        > best,
        >
        > -- inge

      • hd_de_2000
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2005
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gill Bates" <gill_gill@y...>
          wrote:

          > I don't see it is a listed package. Doesn't anybody know if it
          could
          > work?

          I am using pppd to connect to my Palm PDA over USB. You can download
          a precompiled binary with all required kernel modules and a startup
          script here:
          <http://www.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/pppdusb.tar.gz>

          Regards

          Helmut Dersch