pppd on NSLU2

  • Gill Bates
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
      I don't see it is a listed package. Doesn't anybody know if it could
      work?

      Thanks,
      Gill
    • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
        Well, yeah. I have made the kernel modules, but I'm still a bit uncertain
        about ppp-mppe which needs some floating point library functions from the
        kernel. I did make a .mk and source files for pppd, but haven't started
        testing yet. What is your intended use (ppp-mppe is needed for compression)?
        Mine was VPN with IPsec, but I kind of abandoned it for use on the slug and
        compiled it for my Linksys WiFi router instead (WRT54GS) - for some reason I
        believe my slug will be a lot more unstable than the WRT.

        best,

        -- inge

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
          Hey Inge,

          Thanks for the reply. As far as my use, I was thinking of connecting
          the serial port of my DirecTiVo to the slug via PPP so it can make
          it's daily calls out over the net. I don't think any type of
          compression is required. Here are Windows-centric instructions for the
          setup:

          http://www.tivohelp.com/archive/tivohelp.swiki.net/45.html

          Does that make sense?

          Gill

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
          <i.b.arnesen@f...> wrote:
          > Well, yeah. I have made the kernel modules, but I'm still a bit
          uncertain
          > about ppp-mppe which needs some floating point library functions
          from the
          > kernel. I did make a .mk and source files for pppd, but haven't started
          > testing yet. What is your intended use (ppp-mppe is needed for
          compression)?
          > Mine was VPN with IPsec, but I kind of abandoned it for use on the
          slug and
          > compiled it for my Linksys WiFi router instead (WRT54GS) - for some
          reason I
          > believe my slug will be a lot more unstable than the WRT.
          >

          > best,
          >
          > -- inge

        • hd_de_2000
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2005
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gill Bates" <gill_gill@y...>
            wrote:

            > I don't see it is a listed package. Doesn't anybody know if it
            could
            > work?

            I am using pppd to connect to my Palm PDA over USB. You can download
            a precompiled binary with all required kernel modules and a startup
            script here:
            <http://www.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/pppdusb.tar.gz>

            Regards

            Helmut Dersch