How to create ttyUSB0?

  • janne
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 1, 2005
      Hi folks,

      I'm working on an "SmartHome" controll system from Utronix.
      I have it hooked up to my slug with an serial to USB converter (Aten
      UC-232A) and this uses drivers from Prolific.
      I think all is working, but where do I find the ttyUSB0? ..or how do I
      create it?

      dmesg said this:
      usb.c: registered new driver serial
      usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Generic
      usbserial.c: USB Serial Driver core v1.4
      usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for PL-2303
      pl2303.c: Prolific PL2303 USB to serial adaptor driver v0.10
      hub.c: new USB device 00:01.1-2, assigned address 2
      usbserial.c: PL-2303 converter detected
      usbserial.c: PL-2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0 (or usb/tts/0 for
      devfs)

      Cheers
      /Janne
    • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 1, 2005
        > I think all is working, but where do I find the ttyUSB0?
        > ..or how do I
        > create it?

        We don't have devfs yet, so you must mknod it manually. Test it first on the
        ramfs /dev before doing it on the flash:

        mknod /mnt/dev/ttyUSB0 c 188 0

        (I think the major dev number is correct, but double check with your
        driver).

        best,

        -- Inge
      • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 1, 2005
          I didn't sleep that much last night. Sorry, it is of course:

          mknod /dev/ttyUSB0 c 188 0

          to test it on the ramfs.

          best,

          -- Inge

          > > I think all is working, but where do I find the ttyUSB0?
          > > ..or how do I
          > > create it?
          >
          > We don't have devfs yet, so you must mknod it manually.
          > Test it first on the ramfs /dev before doing it on the
          > flash:
          >
          > mknod /mnt/dev/ttyUSB0 c 188 0
          >
          > (I think the major dev number is correct, but double
          > check with your driver).
          >
          > best,
          >
          > -- Inge
          >

          > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving
          > to the Wiki at http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • janne
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 1, 2005
            Thank you.
            I haven't sleept ither for a while...
            I got the ttyUSB0 now.
            ...how do I send the command "1ON1" to the device? :)

            /Janne

            Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen wrote:

            >I didn't sleep that much last night. Sorry, it is of course:
            >
            >mknod /dev/ttyUSB0 c 188 0

          • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 1, 2005
              echo "1ON1" > /dev/ttyUSB0 ?? Maybe I am being naïve here... (don't really
              know the environment you're setting up).

              best,

              -- inge

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 1, 2005
                The latest miau package puts the logs in /opt/var/spool/miau ...

                -- Rod

                On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 16:34:38 -0000, caplink811 <caplink@...> wrote:

                > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Matt McNeill"
                > <matt_mcneill@h...> wrote:
                >
                > Hi Matt,
                >
                > > 2) Can the logs be redirected elsewhere? (I would like to access
                > them
                > > on a share)
                >
                > Yes, there can, but you have to recompile miau, cause it's hardcoded
                > in miau.c. There is a patch in CVS.
                >
                > bye
                > JrB
                >

                > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the Wiki at
                > http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]

              • janne
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 1, 2005
                  That was my guess also, but it did nothing.
                  Should I use the minicom serial terminal to send the command?
                  Is there an minicom ipkg -package?
                  I saw the bb -package in the openembedded, but I don't know how to build
                  that one :)

                  /Janne