RE: [nslu2-linux] ipkg says "cannot create directory /usr/lib/ipkg file exists"

  • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
      > > Reason: DNS is unreachable.
      >
      > > Solution: Make sure your netmasks and gateway
      > > information are set properly.
      >
      > Question: what netmasks and gateway information? On
      > the NSLU2 or on my router? What would be the proper
      > settings?

      On the NSLU2 - you can't expect IPKG to work until you can reach servers on
      the internet from your slug. A brief "ping www.google.com" usually is enough
      to see whether this is the case. The proper settings for gateway and dns can
      be copied from your PC (provided they are on the same logical network (type
      "ipconfig /all" in Windows command prompt or "ifconfig" at Linux shell
      prompt to get this information).

      > > If they are and you're running an own dhcp server on
      > > your LAN, see that there's a line like option
      > > domain-name-servers dns.ip.address.here,
      > > 2nd.ip.address.here; in your /etc/dhcpd.conf file.
      >
      > My NSLU2 is behind a D-Link router that is running
      > DHCP but I have my ip address of NSLU2 set statically.
      > In the above paragraph, would the file
      > /etc/dhcpd.conf be a file on the NSLU2 or on a DHCP
      > server running on my LAN?

      You are not using DHCP for the slug, so ignore this.

      > Will this work at all if my NSLU2 is a static address?

      Yes, but you must fill in DNS and gateway addresses on teh NSLU2.

      > I am beginning to think that "unslinging" to my flash
      > drive was a mistake.

      Maybe - the above problem is unrelated - it is a brute fact of networking.

      best,

      -- Inge
    • Tom Gross
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
        Thanks Inge, that should give me something to play
        with when I get home tonight - I have both Windows
        machines and a Gentoo box on my Lan with the NSLU2 at
        home, so I think maybe I can figure this out. :-)

        I tried pinging various sites last night from my NSLU2
        (do people just say "slug"?) and couldn't reach
        anything...

        Eventually I'd like to improve the newbie instructions
        so that idiots like me, who can install Gentoo with
        help from online experts, can get these "slugs" setup.

        --- Inge Bj�rnvall Arnesen

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail