ipkg says "cannot create directory /usr/lib/ipkg file exists"

  • thomas144@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2005
      I have loaded version 3.17 of Unslung and figured out how to get a
      persistent root password.

      It seems like the next thing I want to do is to try to install some
      packages with ipkg.

      All ipkg commands including "ipkg update" return something like this:

      ipkg: Cannot create directory '/usr/lig/ipkg': File exists
      ipkg: Cannot create directory '/usr/lig/ipkg': File exists
      ipkg: Cannot create directory '/usr/lig/ipkg': File exists
      ipkg: Cannot create directory '/usr/lig/ipkg': File exists
      ipkg_update_cmd: ERROR: failed to make
      directory /usr/lib/ipkg/lists: File exists
      An error ocurred, return value: 22.

      #ipkg list and #ipkg upgrade return these three lines:
      ipkg: Cannot create directory '/usr/lig/ipkg': File exists
      ipkg: Cannot create directory '/usr/lig/ipkg': File exists
      ipkg: Cannot create directory '/usr/lig/ipkg': File exists

      Any idea what's going on?

      I'm a little confused (okay, a lot confused) about what I am
      supposed to do with this little Linux box next. :-)
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 31, 2005
        On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 01:05:45 -0000, thomas144@...
        <thomas144@...> wrote:
        > All ipkg commands including "ipkg update" return something like this:
        >
        > ipkg: Cannot create directory '/usr/lig/ipkg': File exists

        Does that say "/usr/lig/ipkg" or "/usr/lib/ipkg" (hint: /usr/lig is
        not a directory on a normal slug).

        -- Rod
      • Tom Gross
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
          argh- yes that should be /usr/lib/ipkg of course, as
          it says in the subject (sorry for the typo).

          I deleted /usr/lib/ipkg and now I am getting the error
          mentioned in FAQ #20. Unfortunately I don't
          understand the answer given in the FAQ:

          > 20. ipkg update doesn't work
          >
          > Symptoms: ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with
          >return value 1: `wget --passive-ftp -q -P
          >/tmp/ipkg-x3a5K1 http://ipkg.nslu2-linux An error
          > ocurred, return value: 1.

          > Reason: DNS is unreachable.

          > Solution: Make sure your netmasks and gateway
          > information are set properly.

          Question: what netmasks and gateway information? On
          the NSLU2 or on my router? What would be the proper
          settings?

          > If they are and you're running an own dhcp server on
          > your LAN, see that there's a line like option
          > domain-name-servers dns.ip.address.here,
          > 2nd.ip.address.here; in your /etc/dhcpd.conf file.

          My NSLU2 is behind a D-Link router that is running
          DHCP but I have my ip address of NSLU2 set statically.
          In the above paragraph, would the file
          /etc/dhcpd.conf be a file on the NSLU2 or on a DHCP
          server running on my LAN?

          Will this work at all if my NSLU2 is a static address?

          I am beginning to think that "unslinging" to my flash
          drive was a mistake. I have a USB 2.0 enclosure on
          order from Newegg that I should be able to put a spare
          hard drive in, so I'll probably start all over with
          that drive in a couple of days.

          Incidentally, I couldn't get my NSLU2 to work at all
          out of the box (it didn't show up on my LAN) until I
          bought and attached a USB 2.0 Flash drive. I'm
          wondering if there isn't some weirdness due to the
          fact that I am using a D-Link Router (DI-624, I think)
          and not a Linksys router. I hope not. :-)

          --- Rod Whitby <list.yahoo@...> wrote:

          > On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 01:05:45 -0000,
          > thomas144@...
          > <thomas144@...> wrote:
          > > All ipkg commands including "ipkg update" return
          > something like this:
          > >
          > > ipkg: Cannot create directory '/usr/lig/ipkg':
          > File exists
          >
          > Does that say "/usr/lig/ipkg" or "/usr/lib/ipkg"
          > (hint: /usr/lig is
          > not a directory on a normal slug).
          >
          > -- Rod

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
            > > Reason: DNS is unreachable.
            >
            > > Solution: Make sure your netmasks and gateway
            > > information are set properly.
            >
            > Question: what netmasks and gateway information? On
            > the NSLU2 or on my router? What would be the proper
            > settings?

            On the NSLU2 - you can't expect IPKG to work until you can reach servers on
            the internet from your slug. A brief "ping www.google.com" usually is enough
            to see whether this is the case. The proper settings for gateway and dns can
            be copied from your PC (provided they are on the same logical network (type
            "ipconfig /all" in Windows command prompt or "ifconfig" at Linux shell
            prompt to get this information).

            > > If they are and you're running an own dhcp server on
            > > your LAN, see that there's a line like option
            > > domain-name-servers dns.ip.address.here,
            > > 2nd.ip.address.here; in your /etc/dhcpd.conf file.
            >
            > My NSLU2 is behind a D-Link router that is running
            > DHCP but I have my ip address of NSLU2 set statically.
            > In the above paragraph, would the file
            > /etc/dhcpd.conf be a file on the NSLU2 or on a DHCP
            > server running on my LAN?

            You are not using DHCP for the slug, so ignore this.

            > Will this work at all if my NSLU2 is a static address?

            Yes, but you must fill in DNS and gateway addresses on teh NSLU2.

            > I am beginning to think that "unslinging" to my flash
            > drive was a mistake.

            Maybe - the above problem is unrelated - it is a brute fact of networking.

            best,

            -- Inge
          • Tom Gross
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
              Thanks Inge, that should give me something to play
              with when I get home tonight - I have both Windows
              machines and a Gentoo box on my Lan with the NSLU2 at
              home, so I think maybe I can figure this out. :-)

              I tried pinging various sites last night from my NSLU2
              (do people just say "slug"?) and couldn't reach
              anything...

              Eventually I'd like to improve the newbie instructions
              so that idiots like me, who can install Gentoo with
              help from online experts, can get these "slugs" setup.

              --- Inge Bj�rnvall Arnesen