Compiling/Headers query

  • dtansley1974
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2005
      Hi folks,

      Being a bit of a linux compilation newcomer, I'm finding all kinds of
      problems making code on the Slug. Most of my problems seem to stem
      from the configure scripts failing to find specific headers (usually
      ncurses or libjpeg).

      (Stop me if I'm making any incorrect assumptions here, I know I'm
      virtually clueless..)

      I've checked in /opt/include and I'm fairly sure that I've got what I
      need in there. How do I make the configure script see them in this
      location?

      An example output of a configure script would be: [from BitchX]

      checking whether to use use tgetent or setupterm... setupterm
      checking for setupterm in -lncurses... no
      checking for setupterm in -lcurses... no
      checking for tgetent in -ltinfo... no
      checking for tgetent in -lmytinfo... no
      checking for setupterm in -ltinfo... no
      configure: WARNING: cannot find setupterm - trying tgetent
      checking for tgetent in -ltermlib... no
      checking for tgetent in -ltermcap... no
      checking for tgetent in -lcurses... no
      configure: error: cannot find setupterm or tgetent

      What does it mean by "-lncurses", "-ltinfo" etc?

      Apologies if this is an extremely basic query, any help greatly
      appreciated.

      Dave
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 31, 2005
        On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:03:18 -0000, dtansley1974 <dave.tansley@...> wrote:
        > Being a bit of a linux compilation newcomer, I'm finding all kinds of
        > problems making code on the Slug. Most of my problems seem to stem
        > from the configure scripts failing to find specific headers (usually
        > ncurses or libjpeg).

        If you use the instructions at:

        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/AddAPackageToUnslung

        then the Unslung packages Makefile there gives configure the correct
        include paths.

        I cannot stress strongly enough that the easiest way to natively
        compile software on the slug is to use those instructions to create an
        Unslung package. A nice side-effect is that your package is then
        ready for contribution to the CVS repository (which then causes the
        package binary to be uploaded to the feed for everyone else to use).

        -- Rod
      • janne
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 31, 2005
          >I cannot stress strongly enough that the easiest way to natively
          >compile software on the slug is to use those instructions to create an
          >Unslung package. A nice side-effect is that your package is then
          >ready for contribution to the CVS repository (which then causes the
          >package binary to be uploaded to the feed for everyone else to use).

          How does this side-effect work? Do I upload all I compile on the slug
          automaticly?

          /Janne
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 31, 2005
            On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 00:32:10 +0100, janne <janne@...> wrote:
            > >I cannot stress strongly enough that the easiest way to natively
            > >compile software on the slug is to use those instructions to create an
            > >Unslung package. A nice side-effect is that your package is then
            > >ready for contribution to the CVS repository (which then causes the
            > >package binary to be uploaded to the feed for everyone else to use).
            > >
            > How does this side-effect work? Do I upload all I compile on the slug
            > automaticly?

            There is a fairly regular (every couple of days) build of the native
            packages and upload to the feed. If you catch me in IRC then it can
            sometimes be done immediately.

            You need to have added them to the READY_TO_BE_TESTED variable in the
            top-level Makefile for them to be noticed, tested, and then uploaded.

            -- Rod
          • goodnewscd
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 31, 2005
              Your configure scripts report it cannot find some of the lib files.
              If you are sure you have all the files, try to do
              'export GCC_EXEC_PREFIX=/opt/lib' before you run your configure scripts.

              KK

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "dtansley1974" <dave.tansley@g...>
              wrote:

              > Hi folks,
              >
              > Being a bit of a linux compilation newcomer, I'm finding all kinds of
              > problems making code on the Slug. Most of my problems seem to stem
              > from the configure scripts failing to find specific headers (usually
              > ncurses or libjpeg).
              >
              > (Stop me if I'm making any incorrect assumptions here, I know I'm
              > virtually clueless..)
              >
              > I've checked in /opt/include and I'm fairly sure that I've got what I
              > need in there. How do I make the configure script see them in this
              > location?
              >
              > An example output of a configure script would be: [from BitchX]

              > checking whether to use use tgetent or setupterm... setupterm
              > checking for setupterm in -lncurses... no
              > checking for setupterm in -lcurses... no
              > checking for tgetent in -ltinfo... no
              > checking for tgetent in -lmytinfo... no
              > checking for setupterm in -ltinfo... no
              > configure: WARNING: cannot find setupterm - trying tgetent
              > checking for tgetent in -ltermlib... no
              > checking for tgetent in -ltermcap... no
              > checking for tgetent in -lcurses... no
              > configure: error: cannot find setupterm or tgetent
              >
              > What does it mean by "-lncurses", "-ltinfo" etc?
              >
              > Apologies if this is an extremely basic query, any help greatly
              > appreciated.
              >
              > Dave
            • Efrain Salazar
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 2, 2005
                It doesn't work.
                I installed crosstool-native - 0.28-rc37-4.
                I then installed zlib - 1.2.2-1 and
                gzip - 1.2.4-1, libpng - 1.2.8-1.

                I then downloaded gd-2.0.33 and attempted to install
                it. I get that gzip, zlib, and libpng are not
                installed. I thought that installing crosstool-native
                will set all the correct paths to the libraries and
                headers. What do I have to do to get the compilation
                work with the required packages?

                ./configure --prefix=/opt
                I get the following:

                ..partial listing ..

                checking iconv.h usability... yes

                checking iconv.h presence... yes

                checking for iconv.h... yes

                checking whether iconv.h defines iconv_t... yes

                checking for sin... no

                checking for sin in -lm... yes

                checking for deflate in -lz... no

                configure: WARNING: zlib is required - see
                http://www.gzip.org/zlib/

                checking for libpng-config... no

                checking png.h usability... no

                checking png.h presence... no

                checking for png.h... no

                checking libpng/png.h usability... no

                checking libpng/png.h presence... no

                checking for libpng/png.h... no

                checking for png_create_read_struct in -lpng... no

                configure: WARNING: libpng is required - see
                http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/

                checking for freetype-config... no

                checking for FT_Init_FreeType in -lfreetype... no

                configure: WARNING: not found - disabling freetype
                support

                checking freetype/freetype.h usability... no

                checking freetype/freetype.h presence... no

                checking for freetype/freetype.h... no

                checking for jpeg_set_defaults in -ljpeg... no

                checking for XpmReadFileToXpmImage in -lXpm... no

                checking for the pthreads library -lpthreads... no

                checking whether pthreads work without any flags... no

                checking whether pthreads work with -Kthread... no

                checking whether pthreads work with -kthread... no

                checking for the pthreads library -llthread... no

                checking whether pthreads work with -pthread... yes

                checking for joinable pthread attribute...
                PTHREAD_CREATE_JOINABLE

                checking if more special flags are required for
                pthreads... no

                I installed the native compile

                http://my.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 3, 2005
                  On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 21:42:21 -0800 (PST), Efrain Salazar
                  <salazarer@...> wrote:
                  > It doesn't work.
                  > I installed crosstool-native - 0.28-rc37-4.
                  > I then installed zlib - 1.2.2-1 and
                  > gzip - 1.2.4-1, libpng - 1.2.8-1.
                  >
                  > I then downloaded gd-2.0.33 and attempted to install
                  > it. I get that gzip, zlib, and libpng are not
                  > installed. I thought that installing crosstool-native
                  > will set all the correct paths to the libraries and
                  > headers. What do I have to do to get the compilation
                  > work with the required packages?

                  If you use template.mk in-situ in the Unslung CVS build system, then
                  all the paths are set correctly for you. That's why we advise that
                  the first thing you do when trying to natively compile is to follow
                  the instructions in the HowTo which tells you how to add a package to
                  unslung.

                  If you don't use the Unslung CVS build environment and template.mk,
                  then you will really be on your own somewhat, because the Unslung
                  package development team (53 developers) all use that environment).