samba v3

  • goodnewscd
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 24, 2005
      I am currently runing 2.12. Did anymore try to upgrade the samba to
      v3?? I am using it to serve MAC OSX, Windows 2K and XP users. It is
      working fine until the users try to save files with Chinese on the
      filename. It is no problem by using "true" windows 2k server. I have
      similer problem on the other linux box until I upgrade it to samba v3.
      I believe samba v2 only support single codepage and not unicode at
      all. I have email this question to Linksys; but they have no idea too.

      I beleive someone may be able to build the samba v3 package and
      replace the build-in one.

      I need unicode filename support. Any suggestion??

      :-)
    • goodnewscd
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 26, 2005
        Ok,

        Finally, I have samba v3 runing. It is working great and supporting
        all the mixing codepage/unicode filenames (english, chinese,
        japaness...).

        I compiled it directly form the latest samba v3 source by using the
        native toolchain that just released yesterday.

        Thanks everyone's hard work for the native toolchain. I cannot make
        it happen without it.

        I still don't have any idea to replace the build-in samba. I wrote a
        simple script to kill the built-in v2 smbd and start the v3 smbd.

        BTW, I also have the squid and apache compiled. It is close to have
        all my tools running now. It is time to think about to shutdown my
        old Linux server (a noise junk box), and move over to this little guy.

        :-)

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "goodnewscd" <mung_house@y...> wrote:

        > I am currently runing 2.12. Did anymore try to upgrade the samba to
        > v3?? I am using it to serve MAC OSX, Windows 2K and XP users. It is
        > working fine until the users try to save files with Chinese on the
        > filename. It is no problem by using "true" windows 2k server. I have
        > similer problem on the other linux box until I upgrade it to samba v3.
        > I believe samba v2 only support single codepage and not unicode at
        > all. I have email this question to Linksys; but they have no idea
        too.

        > I beleive someone may be able to build the samba v3 package and
        > replace the build-in one.
        >
        > I need unicode filename support. Any suggestion??
        >

        > :-)
      • Matthias Appel
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 26, 2005
          goodnewscd wrote:

          > Finally, I have samba v3 runing. It is working great and supporting
          > all the mixing codepage/unicode filenames (english, chinese,
          > japaness...).

          [...]

          > BTW, I also have the squid and apache compiled. It is close to have
          > all my tools running now. It is time to think about to shutdown my
          > old Linux server (a noise junk box), and move over to this little guy.

          Do you plan to checkin your samba.mk, squid.mk and apache.mk into the
          Unslung CVS? (instructions can be found here:
          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/AddAPackageToUnslung) If you
          do so, then all of the Unslung users can benefit from your work. ;-)

          --
          MFG Matthias

          Quick!! Act as if nothing has happened!
        • na_paulhar
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 26, 2005
            > BTW, I also have the squid and apache compiled. It is close to have
            > all my tools running now. It is time to think about to shutdown my
            > old Linux server (a noise junk box), and move over to this little guy.

            Ooh. Can we have an "idiots guide" - from installing the new chaintool
            stuff through to compiling and getting a usable squid?

            Although I love to experiment I'd rather have a cheat-sheet handy to
            guide me along :)

            Thanks!

            Paul
          • goodnewscd
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 26, 2005
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Matthias Appel <lists@g...> wrote:

              > Do you plan to checkin your samba.mk, squid.mk and apache.mk into the
              > Unslung CVS? (instructions can be found here:
              > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/AddAPackageToUnslung) If you
              > do so, then all of the Unslung users can benefit from your work. ;-)

              I am going to do it after I understand the process ;-P

              :-)
            • goodnewscd
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 26, 2005
                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "na_paulhar" <paulhar@n...> wrote:

                > Ooh. Can we have an "idiots guide" - from installing the new chaintool
                > stuff through to compiling and getting a usable squid?
                >
                > Although I love to experiment I'd rather have a cheat-sheet handy to
                > guide me along :)
                >
                > Thanks!
                >
                > Paul

                Actually, it is really easy.
                You need a running unslung nslu2 box. I am using v2.12beta firmware

                Before you do anything, make sure you have enough disk space. I moved
                my /opt to /share/hdd/data/opt, and created link back to /opt.

                1. echo "src/gz unslung-native
                http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/native" >
                /etc/ipkg/unslung-native.conf
                2. ipkg update
                3. ipkg upgrade
                2. ipkg install make
                3. ipkg install autoconf
                4. ipkg install automake
                5. ipkg install crosstool-native
                6. ipkg install perl

                I cannot recall what addition packages I needed. I have installed
                almost all the packages by ipkg. I believe I need to use the "real"
                shell (bash).

                Now, downlaod the squid source package from www.squid-cache.org. I
                used squid-2.5.STABLE6.tar.gz.

                7. zcat squid-2.5.STABLE6.tar.gz | tar xvf -
                8. cd squid-2.5.STABLE6
                9. ./configure --prefix=/opt/share/squid
                10. make all
                11. make install

                Now, you should be able to configure and start the squid. The home
                dir is /opt/share/squid. You can change it to different place by
                using different prefix (step 7).

                kin-kwok :-)
              • rwhitby
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 26, 2005
                  wrote:
                  > Actually, it is really easy.

                  > 1. echo "src/gz unslung-native
                  > http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/native" >
                  > /etc/ipkg/unslung-native.conf

                  Instead, you can now just type "ipkg install unslung-feeds".

                  > 2. ipkg update
                  > 3. ipkg upgrade
                  > 2. ipkg install make
                  > 3. ipkg install autoconf
                  > 4. ipkg install automake
                  > 5. ipkg install crosstool-native

                  Make sure you have at least 120MB of space for crosstool-native, and
                  double check that all 117 MB of files have been installed
                  in /opt/armeb

                  > 6. ipkg install perl

                  > I cannot recall what addition packages I needed. I have installed
                  > almost all the packages by ipkg. I believe I need to use the "real"
                  > shell (bash).

                  Correct. The user shell must be be bash.

                  The required packages are listed at:

                  http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/NativelyCompileUnslungPackages

                  > Now, downlaod the squid source package from www.squid-cache.org. I
                  > used squid-2.5.STABLE6.tar.gz.
                  >
                  > 7. zcat squid-2.5.STABLE6.tar.gz | tar xvf -
                  > 8. cd squid-2.5.STABLE6
                  > 9. ./configure --prefix=/opt/share/squid
                  > 10. make all
                  > 11. make install

                  If you follow the instructions at:

                  http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/AddAPackageToUnslung

                  (which are not really different from what you have done above), then
                  you will be an offical Unslung package developer. You have already
                  shown you have the aptitude and initiative, so please consider taking
                  the extra step of contributing the packages back to the community for
                  everyone else's benefit.

                  -- Rod
                • goodnewscd
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 26, 2005
                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "rwhitby" <list.yahoo@r...> wrote:

                    > If you follow the instructions at:
                    >
                    > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/AddAPackageToUnslung
                    >
                    > (which are not really different from what you have done above), then
                    > you will be an offical Unslung package developer. You have already
                    > shown you have the aptitude and initiative, so please consider taking
                    > the extra step of contributing the packages back to the community for
                    > everyone else's benefit.
                    >
                    > -- Rod

                    I have downloaded the CVS and working on the .mk file. It is still
                    compiling. I believe it takes over an hour to build the package
                    nativly. Now, I need to know how to join the project? I would like
                    to chech in the .mk file if it works.

                    :-)
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 27, 2005
                      On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 07:32:33 -0000, goodnewscd <mung_house@...> wrote:
                      > I have downloaded the CVS and working on the .mk file. It is still
                      > compiling. I believe it takes over an hour to build the package
                      > nativly.

                      Yep, that's why we try to cross-compile first :-) But for some
                      packages that are cross-compilation-resistant, you just have to wait

                      > Now, I need to know how to join the project? I would like
                      > to chech in the .mk file if it works.

                      I have replied to you privately. The best way is to join the IRC
                      channel and ask there for real-time help. We are always happy to help
                      new package developers.

                      -- Rod
                    • tj_yang2001
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 27, 2005
                        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "goodnewscd" <mung_house@y...> wrote:

                        > Ok,
                        >
                        > Finally, I have samba v3 runing. It is working great and supporting
                        > all the mixing codepage/unicode filenames (english, chinese,
                        > japaness...).
                        >
                        > I compiled it directly form the latest samba v3 source by using the
                        > native toolchain that just released yesterday.
                        >
                        > Thanks everyone's hard work for the native toolchain. I cannot make
                        > it happen without it.
                        >
                        > I still don't have any idea to replace the build-in samba. I wrote a
                        > simple script to kill the built-in v2 smbd and start the v3 smbd.
                        >
                        > BTW, I also have the squid and apache compiled. It is close to have
                        > all my tools running now. It is time to think about to shutdown my
                        > old Linux server (a noise junk box), and move over to this little guy.

                        ditto here. I realize why I spent so much time on learning another
                        pacakge system is to eliminate the source of noise in my basement.
                        the fan of my old linux box is just too noisy.

                        I also need big brother server/client on nslu2 to monitor
                        my other nodes(wrt54g,wap54g ...etc) within the house.
                        I will port it at my own spare time if nobody ported bb before me.

                        tj

                        > :-)

                      • na_paulhar
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 27, 2005
                          > I have downloaded the CVS and working on the .mk file. It is still
                          > compiling. I believe it takes over an hour to build the package
                          > nativly. Now, I need to know how to join the project? I would like
                          > to chech in the .mk file if it works.

                          BTW - were you using unslung-3.18 or 3.17? I realise the wiki says
                          that you should use .18 but, as with all things, I like to prove things.

                          I'm still running 3.17 and seeing errors compiling squid like this:
                          /opt/armeb/lib/gcc-lib/armv5b-softfloat-linux/3.3.5/include/stddef.h:213:
                          error:
                          In file included from
                          /opt/armeb/armv5b-softfloat-linux/sys-include/stdio.h:36,
                          from cf_gen.c:55:
                          /opt/armeb/armv5b-softfloat-linux/sys-include/bits/types.h:114: error:
                          parse err

                          That doesn't feel like a slug-version error... but I guess anything is
                          possible :)
                        • goodnewscd
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 27, 2005
                            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "na_paulhar" <paulhar@n...> wrote:

                            > BTW - were you using unslung-3.18 or 3.17? I realise the wiki says
                            > that you should use .18 but, as with all things, I like to prove things.
                            >
                            > I'm still running 3.17 and seeing errors compiling squid like this:

                            /opt/armeb/lib/gcc-lib/armv5b-softfloat-linux/3.3.5/include/stddef.h:213:
                            > error:
                            > In file included from
                            > /opt/armeb/armv5b-softfloat-linux/sys-include/stdio.h:36,
                            > from cf_gen.c:55:
                            > /opt/armeb/armv5b-softfloat-linux/sys-include/bits/types.h:114: error:
                            > parse err
                            >
                            > That doesn't feel like a slug-version error... but I guess anything is
                            > possible :)

                            Aaahh....

                            I am still using v2.12beta. I had tried upgrade it v3.17 once; but it
                            had big problem with my HD. I have it backed to 2.12. It runs real
                            solid without problem. I don't think I am going to v3/v4 till I buy
                            another one. I am shopping around for a cheap nslu2.

                            BTW, which version of squid did you try? I have no problem on v2.5.
                            I am testing v3.0 right now.

                            :-)
                          • na_paulhar
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 27, 2005
                              > Aaahh....
                              >
                              > I am still using v2.12beta. I had tried upgrade it v3.17 once; but it
                              > had big problem with my HD. I have it backed to 2.12. It runs real
                              > solid without problem. I don't think I am going to v3/v4 till I buy
                              > another one. I am shopping around for a cheap nslu2.

                              Mine is only a couple of weeks old so I went straight for the most
                              recent version. I'm looking forward to the next upgrade - it'll be my
                              first :)

                              > BTW, which version of squid did you try? I have no problem on v2.5.
                              > I am testing v3.0 right now.

                              2.5-Stable7 (I noticed you used stable6).

                              Regards

                              Paul
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 27, 2005
                                On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:41:38 -0000, goodnewscd <mung_house@...> wrote:
                                > I am still using v2.12beta. I had tried upgrade it v3.17 once; but it
                                > had big problem with my HD. I have it backed to 2.12. It runs real
                                > solid without problem.

                                Try movin the /opt/bin and /opt/sbin directories to the end of the
                                path in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit - that should make 3.17 rock solid too.

                                -- Rod
                              • goodnewscd
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 31, 2005
                                  I have just checked in the samba v3 to the cvs this morning. Now, I
                                  am looking for a easy way to convert the build-in v2 conf file to v3.

                                  I have a lot of fun on it....

                                  What is the next package? How about a VoIP-PBX server (asterisk)? I
                                  believe nslu2 is little under-power; but, it is fun to try.

                                  KK
                                • na_paulhar
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 1, 2005
                                    > What is the next package? How about a VoIP-PBX server (asterisk)? I
                                    > believe nslu2 is little under-power; but, it is fun to try.

                                    Please look over the "wish list" and "package wish lists" to see if
                                    there are things people have asked for too. Although it may be less
                                    interesting - the results will affect many more people.

                                    Thanks :)

                                    Paul
                                  • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 1, 2005
                                      > What is the next package? How about a VoIP-PBX server
                                      > (asterisk)? I believe nslu2 is little under-power; but,
                                      > it is fun to try.

                                      Oh, that would be great. I'm not sure I will use it as my main IP phone
                                      system, though - it will depend a lot on stability: I'm serious about my
                                      phone connection. For me the major thing about Asterisk is the ability to
                                      have multiple IP phone vendors (one in each country you call on regular
                                      basis) and automatic vendor selection on calls.

                                      Talked to a friend about this a few weeks back. He runs it on a Mac and
                                      reported low CPU use and moderate memory requirements, so it might be
                                      possible.

                                      best,

                                      -- Inge
                                    • goodnewscd
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Feb 1, 2005
                                        I have asterisk on my ibook. It supports up to about 30 calls if SIP proxy/routing only.
                                        However, it does not work that good if there is need of transcoding or v-mail. It will
                                        quickly kill the box in around 5 calls. I hope the nslu2 can handle 2 calls. So, when I am
                                        on a phone call, the 2nd in-coming call can go to v-mail. This should be good enough for
                                        home use.

                                        KK

                                        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen <i.b.arnesen@f...> wrote:
                                        > > What is the next package? How about a VoIP-PBX server
                                        > > (asterisk)? I believe nslu2 is little under-power; but,
                                        > > it is fun to try.
                                        >
                                        > Oh, that would be great. I'm not sure I will use it as my main IP phone
                                        > system, though - it will depend a lot on stability: I'm serious about my
                                        > phone connection. For me the major thing about Asterisk is the ability to
                                        > have multiple IP phone vendors (one in each country you call on regular
                                        > basis) and automatic vendor selection on calls.
                                        >
                                        > Talked to a friend about this a few weeks back. He runs it on a Mac and
                                        > reported low CPU use and moderate memory requirements, so it might be
                                        > possible.
                                        >
                                        > best,
                                        >
                                        > -- Inge
                                      • goodnewscd
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Feb 1, 2005
                                          There is VOIP on the wish list. I also want to move my voip-pbx over too.

                                          KK :-)