TiVo server anyone?

  • lredlefsen
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 9, 2004
      In case anyone was looking for a specific project ;), I've always thought it would be cool
      to have the NSLU2 serve up MP3s and photos to my TiVo, rather than having to run TiVo's
      desktop software on my PC. Unfortunately, the TiVo won't send Wake-on-LAN "Magic
      packets" to wake up a PC that's in sleep mode, so unless you disable sleep on the PC,
      you have to hoof it over to your computer to wake it up if you want to listen to some
      tunes. The NSLU2 looks like a great always-on file server solution here!

      TiVo publishes their interface to Home Media Option at tivo.com/developer/

      BTW, if you're doing a lot of transferring of files to the NSLU2 with the external disk (ie
      unplugging the drive from the NSLU2, mounting it on a PC/Mac/Linux machine/), I was
      thinking it might be easier to use a USB flash drive instead...
    • Brian
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 10, 2004
        --- On Mon 08/09, lredlefsen < lorenz-yahoo@... > wrote:
        > I've always thought it would be cool
        > to have the NSLU2 serve up MP3s and photos to my TiVo, rather than
        > having to run TiVo's desktop software on my PC.

        Check out http://sourceforge.net/projects/byrequest.

        I have modified this for my own needs, but the stock version works just fine. It is a 'C' program, compiles to a nice small executable, and will do all that the PC program does, as a Linux daemon.

        I haven't tried cross compiling (yet) but the NSLU2 could become a great Tivo server.

        Brian

        No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.
      • joule360
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 10, 2004
          Actually, the biggest question I have is one of just how much stuff
          can run on this thing at one time. Of the 32M of ram, about 24M is
          used on my running nslu2 - and 8M isn't a lot for running all the
          other applications I'd like to get going on this (at least courier-
          imap, fetchmail, maildrop, and squid). I wonder how
          difficult/feasible it would be to change the 32M chip for a larger
          memory - asy 256M?