Re: Got Perl 5.6.1 working at NSLU2

  • tj_yang2001
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 3, 2005
      Hi, Rene

      Can you upload the files on pauahtun.org to sf.net or nslu2 sites ?
      I am having problem to download your gcc-3.4.2 binary.

      ftp://www.pauahtun.org/pub/nslu2/nslu-native-gcc3.4.2-glibc-2.3.2.tgz

      Thanks

      tj

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "r2004roellig" <r2004roellig@y...>
      wrote:

      > Hi dyoung,
      >
      > unslung 3.17 fixes a bug in the NWFP emulator. I've requested an
      > patch yesterday, Rod has incorporated the fix into OE, rebuilt
      > unslung and has released 3.17. Thus this issue has gone.
      >
      > Initially I have thought that this is a compiler issues as for
      > the NSLU in crosstool the target "armv5b-softfloat.dat" is used.
      > "Softfloat" meant to me that the compiler uses own floating point
      > routines.
      > By building gcc3.4.2/glibc 2.3.2 my impression got reinforced, as
      > this combination worked excellent, by using obviously true
      > glibc/compiler internal fp code (see
      > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/NativeFloatingPointToolchain)
      >
      > Over the weekend I have learnt that the native tool chain with
      > gcc 3.3.4/glibc2.2.5 is not a real softfloat tool chain. By running
      > gcc -S I have seen that it emits math instructions instead. Those
      > get emulated by the Netwinder Kernel FP emu. Unfortunately the
      > negation() and fabs() instruction handler functions were broken.
      > This explains exactly the behavior we saw with unslung <= 3.16.
      >
      > Rene.
      >
      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "dyoung8888" <dyoung8888@y...>
      wrote:

      > > It in fact does work as expected.
      > >
      > > > Under 3.16 the 4th line of the results was not correct. That was
      > > > the same result I would get using the native compiler. That being
      > > > said, I have no reason to believe that the native compiler wouldnt
      > > > work.
      > >
      > > # /share/hdd/data/tools/gcc/bin/armv5b-softfloat-linux-gcc -lm hello-
      > > fp.c
      > > # ./a.out
      > > val = 10
      > > result = 2.30259
      > > hallo world.
      > > 0.500000
      > > 0.250000
      > > 88888888.800000
      > > 2.718282
      > > 2.250000
    • tj_yang2001
      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 4, 2005
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "tj_yang2001" <tj_yang2001@y...>
        wrote:

        > Hi, Rene
        >
        > Can you upload the files on pauahtun.org to sf.net or nslu2 sites ?
        > I am having problem to download your gcc-3.4.2 binary.
        >
        > ftp://www.pauahtun.org/pub/nslu2/nslu-native-gcc3.4.2-glibc-2.3.2.tgz

        Looks like the problem is from my internet connection.
        I can download short scripts quickly but not the big tar.gz.

        tj

      • Gregoire Cosendai
        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 4, 2005
          Sam,
          I am having some issues with the server, it does not store the cache.
          I cant find anywhere the file .slimserver.db which should in /root
          And the server doesn't remember the previous scan, therfore it takes
          half a day scanning everytime.

          Looks from slim website that its coming from a memory leak in perl5.6
          which may be fixed in perl5.8

          Do you have the same problem ?
          Greg
        • Sam
          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 4, 2005
            Yes, I noticed the same thing with the scans getting lost every restart.
            I didn't spend much time looking into it yet, and figured it was due
            to some dumbness on my part - thanks for the info. I'll play with it
            too and let you know if I discover any way to retain song info.

            Sam

            Gregoire Cosendai wrote:

            > Sam,
            > I am having some issues with the server, it does not store the cache.
            > I cant find anywhere the file .slimserver.db which should in /root
            > And the server doesn't remember the previous scan, therfore it takes
            > half a day scanning everytime.
            >
            > Looks from slim website that its coming from a memory leak in perl5.6
            > which may be fixed in perl5.8
            >
            > Do you have the same problem ?
            > Greg
            >

            > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the Wiki at
            > http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]

          • r2004roellig
            Message 5 of 30 , Jan 5, 2005
              Hello,

              I've put perl 5.8.6 ipk on my download directory. Just give it a
              try. Simply follow the instructions on
              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BuildPerlOnYourNSLU2Box

              Rene.

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Sam <sam@p...> wrote:
              > Yes, I noticed the same thing with the scans getting lost every
              restart.
              > I didn't spend much time looking into it yet, and figured it was due
              > to some dumbness on my part - thanks for the info. I'll play with it
              > too and let you know if I discover any way to retain song info.
              >
              > Sam
              >

              > Gregoire Cosendai wrote:
              > >
              > > Sam,
              > > I am having some issues with the server, it does not store the cache.
              > > I cant find anywhere the file .slimserver.db which should in /root
              > > And the server doesn't remember the previous scan, therfore it takes
              > > half a day scanning everytime.
              > >
              > > Looks from slim website that its coming from a memory leak in perl5.6
              > > which may be fixed in perl5.8
              > >
              > > Do you have the same problem ?
              > > Greg
              > >

              > > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the
              Wiki at
              > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]

            • r2004roellig
              Message 6 of 30 , Jan 5, 2005
                Sorry, I need to call back this message: after testing perl I've
                just written this email and installed the ipkg in parallel at
                my slug. Due to the significant bigger size of perl 5.6.8
                (ipk=10MB) the NSLU came never back again (tested on unslung 1.15).
                Thus I need to check what under /opt/lib can be stripped down.
                This will take me some time...

                If you want to test in advance just check out the tgz archive:
                http://www.familie-roellig.de/public/nslu2/unslung/perl-5.8.6-bin-static.tgz

                Thanks,
                Rene.

                wrote:

                > Hello,
                >
                > I've put perl 5.8.6 ipk on my download directory. Just give it a
                > try. Simply follow the instructions on
                > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BuildPerlOnYourNSLU2Box
                >
                > Rene.
                >

                > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Sam <sam@p...> wrote:
                > > Yes, I noticed the same thing with the scans getting lost every
                > restart.
                > > I didn't spend much time looking into it yet, and figured it was
                due
                > > to some dumbness on my part - thanks for the info. I'll play with it
                > > too and let you know if I discover any way to retain song info.
                > >
                > > Sam
                > >

                > > Gregoire Cosendai wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Sam,
                > > > I am having some issues with the server, it does not store the
                cache.
                > > > I cant find anywhere the file .slimserver.db which should in /root
                > > > And the server doesn't remember the previous scan, therfore it takes
                > > > half a day scanning everytime.
                > > >
                > > > Looks from slim website that its coming from a memory leak in
                perl5.6
                > > > which may be fixed in perl5.8
                > > >
                > > > Do you have the same problem ?
                > > > Greg
                > > >

                > > > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the
                > Wiki at
                > > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]

              • Gregoire Cosendai
                Message 7 of 30 , Jan 6, 2005
                  Rene,
                  Thank you so much for the 5.6.8 you definitely move quicker than me.
                  a few things:
                  - I have perl5.6.8 static running ok on unslug3.17b so far so good
                  - The slimserver running on 5.6.8 does indeed create
                  the .slimserver.db. (Yeah !)
                  - For some reason the build even static seems much less hungry in
                  memory than the initial perl5.6.1-1
                  - A weired thing tough; is that when I run perl as a daemon, it exits
                  or crashes (e.g. perl slimserver.pl &) but it doesn't when I run it
                  as a console.
                  - I think there is a typo in the howtobuildperl... it currently reads
                  "
                  1) ipkg install perl
                  2) ipkg install perl561-static (same as 1, just alias)
                  3) ipkg install perl586-static
                  4) ipkg install perl586-shared (works since
                  "
                  and I think it should read
                  "
                  1) ipkg ...
                  ...static
                  4) ipkg install perl561-shared (works since
                  "
                  If you agree and give me an ok, I will fix it.

                  Best !
                  Greg

                  <r2004roellig@y...> wrote:

                  > Sorry, I need to call back this message: after testing perl I've
                  > just written this email and installed the ipkg in parallel at
                  > my slug. Due to the significant bigger size of perl 5.6.8
                  > (ipk=10MB) the NSLU came never back again (tested on unslung 1.15).
                  > Thus I need to check what under /opt/lib can be stripped down.
                  > This will take me some time...
                  >
                  > If you want to test in advance just check out the tgz archive:
                  > http://www.familie-roellig.de/public/nslu2/unslung/perl-5.8.6-bin-
                  static.tgz

                  > Thanks,
                  > Rene.
                  >

                  > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "r2004roellig"
                  <r2004roellig@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hello,
                  > >
                  > > I've put perl 5.8.6 ipk on my download directory. Just give it a
                  > > try. Simply follow the instructions on
                  > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BuildPerlOnYourNSLU2Box
                  > >
                  > > Rene.
                  > >

                  > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Sam <sam@p...> wrote:
                  > > > Yes, I noticed the same thing with the scans getting lost every
                  > > restart.
                  > > > I didn't spend much time looking into it yet, and figured it
                  was
                  > due
                  > > > to some dumbness on my part - thanks for the info. I'll play
                  with it
                  > > > too and let you know if I discover any way to retain song info.
                  > > >
                  > > > Sam

                  > cache.

                  > perl5.6

                  > > Wiki at

                  subject=Unsubscribe>

                  Terms of

                • r2004roellig
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jan 6, 2005
                    Hi Gregoire and all,

                    thanks for testing my perl build.
                    Yes, you were right, that I had a typo in my install notes.
                    A shared build exsists for Perl 5.6.1 only so far. Perl 5.8.6
                    is static.
                    I have fould that static builds are faster and need less
                    memory than shared builds !? Faster is clear, as static uses
                    user space fp and there is no dyna loader overhead. But less
                    memory??? But that´s the reason I think static should be fine
                    as long as all needed packages are compiled in.

                    Despite of the huge pkg file of perl586-static (10MB) ipkg
                    installation works on 3.17. Seems that during my first test
                    on my slug with 1.x the ipkg script run out of memory... No
                    chance to get a cause, as the slug hung.
                    Anyway, udate to 3.17 is recommended.

                    I´ve updated the docu at
                    http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BuildPerlOnYourNSLU2Box.

                    Have fun,