Re: [nslu2-linux] NSLU2 and twonky mediaserver

  • Siddy
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 2, 2005
      Rehi!

      On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 11:59:57 +0100, Siddy <sidddy@...> wrote:
      > Hi!
      >
      > On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 08:14:26 +1030, Rod Whitby <list.yahoo@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > 1) Startup of your mediaserver will fail if it needs access to files
      > > > on /share/hdd/data for startup. The data-partition is unavailable
      > > > during execution of the init-scripts.
      > >
      > > That's not correct (or if it is correct then it's a serious bug). The
      > > data partition is mounted in rc.bootbin, well before the
      > > /opt/etc/init.d scripts run.
      >
      > Well... I wanted to start a thttpd, which should log to
      > /share/hdd/data/log/thttpd.log. Starting the script manually was no
      > problem at all, automatic startup on boot gave an error "Can't connect
      > to /share/hdd/data/log/thttpd.log" (or similar, can't remember...).
      > Logging to /share/hdd/conf/log/thttpd.log solved that problem. So, to
      > me it looks like the data-partition is unavailable (at least for
      > writing) during script-execution.

      Here's the output of mount, executed via an init.d-script:

      /dev/mtdblock4 on / type jffs2 (rw)
      /proc on /proc type proc (rw)
      usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
      /dev/mtdblock4 on /dev.state type jffs2 (rw)
      ramfs on /dev type ramfs (rw)
      /dev/mtdblock4 on /var.state type jffs2 (rw)
      ramfs on /var type ramfs (rw)
      /dev/sda1 on /share/hdd/data type ext3 (ro)
      /dev/sda2 on /share/hdd/conf type ext3 (rw,sync)
      none on /tmp type ramfs (rw)

      So, the data-partition is mounted read-only, which _was_ a problem for
      my thttpd.

      Cheers,
      Siddy
    • bastiaanve
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 2, 2005
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "funny_foxii" <funny_foxii@y...>
        wrote:

        > Hello Bastiaan,
        >
        > I've tried it, same thing : manually ok, automatically not working
        > at all.
        >
        > Any other suggestions ?
        >
        > -Davy

        I just installed 3.16b + twonkyvision server without any problems.
        I'll try to go into detail what I did:

        put mediaserver in /opt/bin, make sure it's executable
        cd to /opt/bin and run ./mediaserver
        ctrl+c to kill it
        this will have created twonkyvision-mediaserver.ini in the same directory
        edit this file to your preference.
        if you use contentdir option, make sure this path exists
        if you use dbfile option, make sure this path exists

        create the following files in /opt/etc/init.d:
        S99twonky:
        #!/bin/sh
        cd /opt/bin
        /opt/bin/mediaserver -D

        K99twonky:
        #!/bin/sh
        /bin/killall mediaserver

        make them executable:
        chmod +x S99twonky K99twonky

        that's it...
        you can try to run /opt/etc/init.d/S99twonky from the commandline to
        check that the script is working. it should print "TwonkyVision Media
        Server Version 2.4" and return immediately. ps should now show it running.

        Bastiaan

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 2, 2005
          On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 12:18:08 +0100, Siddy <sidddy@...> wrote:
          > /dev/sda1 on /share/hdd/data type ext3 (ro)
          > /dev/sda2 on /share/hdd/conf type ext3 (rw,sync)
          > So, the data-partition is mounted read-only, which _was_ a problem for
          > my thttpd.

          Are you sure it's not the quota checking which is causing your data
          drive to be read-only at that time? Try diverting rc.quota to a null
          script which returns 0.