Re: [nslu2-linux] DLINK DNS-120 anyone?

  • Terry Gray
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2005
      Perhaps this would help with your formatting problem?

      http://www.mager.org/mkdosfs/

      By the way, I think the DNS-120 has three advantages over *unmodified*
      slugs:

      . It understands FAT32 filesystems, thus enhancing interoperability.
      . It does not insist on spinning up the hard drive(s) every 30
      minutes regardless of whether they are being accessed by the user.
      . You can use both USB ports for flash drives (or other things
      besides hard drives, such as DVD drives.)

      On the other hand, it has one serious drawback compared to the NSLU2:

      . It is much slower... my tests indicate about 1.22MB/s from DNS-120
      to an XP box, vs. 4.23MB/s from an NSLU2 (that's with EXT3
      filesystems; FAT32 is slower, i.e. around 3.5MB/s.)

      Fortunately, because of the work of the sluggers in this group, the
      problems with the NSLU2 can be overcome. One person has attempted to
      replicate this community for the DNS-120, but I don't see much
      activity over there, and I suspect the performance limitations of the
      DNS120 will seal its fate.

      -teg