Re: USB serial roadblock

  • jaimesmith_42
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
      There's probably software out there, but not likely exactly what
      I'll need. I'm trying to build an appliance that's only a part of
      my automation system. All I want from the slug is to be a
      gateway/scheduler for my X10 stuff. Anything out there would likely
      have a ton of extra features that would probably overwhelm the tiny
      memory of the slug. As for one port being enough, I can control
      everything in the house with it. IO to and from a control system
      (like a web app) would be across the network. But, if you need 2
      ports it shouldn't be a problem, the driver documentation says it
      will support up to 255.

      Besides, I went through all this effort just so I would be able to
      write the software myself. That's the fun part.

      Jaime

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "tj_yang2001" <tj_yang2001@y...>
      wrote:

      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "jaimesmith_42" <jaime@s...>
      wrote:

      > > Thanks for all your help, it works!!!!!!
      > >
      > > I was trying too hard. In case any one else out there is trying
      > > get a serial port working on an Unslung NSLU2 -- here's how mine
      > > works --
      > >
      > > Running unslung-able, 12/31 build with some tweaks by Rod to add
      usb-
      > > serial support to the kernel. I have an IOGear GUC-232A USB to
      > > Serial adapter I got from Amazon.com for under $30.
      > >
      > > I installed:
      > > update-modules_1.0-r3_all.ipk
      > > kernel-module-usbserial_2.3r25-r7_nslu2.ipk
      > > kernel-module-pl2303_2.3r25-r7_nslu2.ipk
      > >
      > > to get the drivers. My first mistake was loading them like this:
      > > insmod usbserial vendor=0x557 product=0x2008
      > > insmod pl2303
      > >
      > > When i did that, the generic driver took over the adapter and it
      > > didn't work.
      > >
      > > Using:
      > > insmod usbserial
      > > insmod pl2303
      > >
      > > everything works wonderfully. With a simple terminal app
      running on
      > > the slug (miniterm), and a SmartHome controller plugged into the
      > > serial port, I see X10 codes on my slug terminal screen as I
      turn my
      > > lights on and off!!!!
      > >
      > > Now... I need to write some software.
      > >

      > Thanks for sharing the details, I will get one so I can reuse
      > your effort. I look at the picture, this unit only has one serial
      > port, Is one port engough for Home Automation ? Can I plugging
      > two GUC-232A to get two serial ports (via usb hub) ?
      >
      > Aren't they any home automation Linux software that can interact
      > with X10 to do what you need already ? I bet they should be
      plenty.

      > > Jaime
      > >

      > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <list.yahoo@r...>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I wonder what all that is about ...

      > > usb/tts/0
      > > >
      > > > I assume you created /dev/ttyUSB0 correctly?
      > > >
      > > > (I'll add those to bk)

      > > output
      > > >
      > > > Sorry, dunno :-(
      > > >
      > > > -- Rod
    • Aaron Anderson
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
        You look at Mr. house?

        http://w3.misterhouse.com:81/

        Just an idea.

        wrote:

        > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "jaimesmith_42" <jaime@s...>
        wrote:

        > > Thanks for all your help, it works!!!!!!
        > >
        > > I was trying too hard. In case any one else out there is trying
        > > get a serial port working on an Unslung NSLU2 -- here's how mine
        > > works --
        > >
        > > Running unslung-able, 12/31 build with some tweaks by Rod to add
        usb-
        > > serial support to the kernel. I have an IOGear GUC-232A USB to
        > > Serial adapter I got from Amazon.com for under $30.
        > >
        > > I installed:
        > > update-modules_1.0-r3_all.ipk
        > > kernel-module-usbserial_2.3r25-r7_nslu2.ipk
        > > kernel-module-pl2303_2.3r25-r7_nslu2.ipk
        > >
        > > to get the drivers. My first mistake was loading them like this:
        > > insmod usbserial vendor=0x557 product=0x2008
        > > insmod pl2303
        > >
        > > When i did that, the generic driver took over the adapter and it
        > > didn't work.
        > >
        > > Using:
        > > insmod usbserial
        > > insmod pl2303
        > >
        > > everything works wonderfully. With a simple terminal app
        running on
        > > the slug (miniterm), and a SmartHome controller plugged into the
        > > serial port, I see X10 codes on my slug terminal screen as I
        turn my
        > > lights on and off!!!!
        > >
        > > Now... I need to write some software.
        > >

        > Thanks for sharing the details, I will get one so I can reuse your
        > effort. I look at the picture, this unit only has one serial port, Is
        > one port engough for Home Automation ? Can I plugging two GUC-232A to
        > get two serial ports (via usb hub) ?
        >
        > Aren't they any home automation Linux software that can interact with
        > X10 to do what you need already ? I bet they should be
        plenty.

        > > Jaime
        > >

        > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <list.yahoo@r...>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I wonder what all that is about ...

        > > usb/tts/0
        > > >
        > > > I assume you created /dev/ttyUSB0 correctly?
        > > >
        > > > (I'll add those to bk)

        > > output
        > > >
        > > > Sorry, dunno :-(
        > > >
        > > > -- Rod

        [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the Wiki at
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org ] Yahoo! Groups Links
      • jaimesmith_42
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
          Looks nice.... But it doesn't mention support for my SmartHome
          PowerLinc X10 interface. Also, absolute minimum is 10MB of RAM and
          it needs PERL. No biggie for an old PC, but pushing it for an
          NSLU2. Actually, I'd envision my slug as a device conrolled by
          something similar to Mr. House. I want it to be very simple,
          reliable, and something that just sits there silently and never
          breaks, never crashes, and never needs to be upgraded or tinkered
          with.
          I'll put all the bells and whistles in the front end, probably to be
          written in Java or C#, and probably running on a hacked X-Box. And
          when the hard drive on that crashes two years from now, my outside
          lights will still work, I just won't be able to change the program
          until I rebuild the front-end.

          Jaime

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Anderson" <anderson@w...>