DLINK DNS-120 anyone?

  • braineo
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2005
      Just bought a DLINK DNS-120 unit similar to the nslu2 and wondered if
      anyone knows anything about this unit other than it sucks!!!

      I've been unable to format my usb drives (200 and 250 GB) using a non
      NTFS file system from within Windows xp home at home... I might just
      need to install the drives internally to have them formatted.

      Anyone has used Knoppix to format large external USB drives?

      I wish I had found this group and info before I bought the DLINK
      dinousaur but for $53 (newegg AR) I guess I got what I paid for....

      Thanks for any assistance!
    • Terry Gray
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2005
        Perhaps this would help with your formatting problem?

        http://www.mager.org/mkdosfs/

        By the way, I think the DNS-120 has three advantages over *unmodified*
        slugs:

        . It understands FAT32 filesystems, thus enhancing interoperability.
        . It does not insist on spinning up the hard drive(s) every 30
        minutes regardless of whether they are being accessed by the user.
        . You can use both USB ports for flash drives (or other things
        besides hard drives, such as DVD drives.)

        On the other hand, it has one serious drawback compared to the NSLU2:

        . It is much slower... my tests indicate about 1.22MB/s from DNS-120
        to an XP box, vs. 4.23MB/s from an NSLU2 (that's with EXT3
        filesystems; FAT32 is slower, i.e. around 3.5MB/s.)

        Fortunately, because of the work of the sluggers in this group, the
        problems with the NSLU2 can be overcome. One person has attempted to
        replicate this community for the DNS-120, but I don't see much
        activity over there, and I suspect the performance limitations of the
        DNS120 will seal its fate.

        -teg