Re: gcc ipk package.

  • dyoung8888
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 30, 2004

      > Can you do it ? I am just a newbie trying to gain experience.
      > gcc is the foundation pacakge, better not in my hands. besides
      > my nslu2 is up without an ip address after reboot ;<

      Its on my todo list. I've been busy with getting unslung-4.x out;
      but the main reason it hasnt been touched in 2 weeks is it does NOT
      pass the fp tests perfectly.

      It all works except for the -f test. I was hoping that would get
      sorted out first. Also note that our crosstool cross compiler give
      the same faulty result for the -f test.
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 30, 2004
        On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 02:39:13 -0000, dyoung8888 <dyoung8888@...> wrote:

        > > Can you do it ? I am just a newbie trying to gain experience.
        > > gcc is the foundation pacakge, better not in my hands. besides
        > > my nslu2 is up without an ip address after reboot ;<

        tjyang: you should be able to do it. You just need to copy everything
        into the right place in the ipk_dir and let the makefile do the rest

        dyoung is busy with the switchbox reimplementation. He's doing it
        because I have an imminent arrival of a second child, so I'm not
        starting anything that I can't finish within 10 minutes.

        -- Rod
      • tj_yang2001
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 30, 2004
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <list.yahoo@r...> wrote:
          > On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 02:39:13 -0000, dyoung8888 <dyoung8888@y...> wrote:
          > >

          > > > Can you do it ? I am just a newbie trying to gain experience.
          > > > gcc is the foundation pacakge, better not in my hands. besides
          > > > my nslu2 is up without an ip address after reboot ;<
          >
          > tjyang: you should be able to do it. You just need to copy everything
          > into the right place in the ipk_dir and let the makefile do the rest

          My only avaiable machine is a slow redhat box with dual CPUs at home.
          I need to jump another hoop to get my fast machine at work to have
          cvs pass firewall. This will be a later work.

          On my machine at home with direct internet connection , I will see if
          I can "make crosstool-native" after "toolchain" is done.

          I have a similar Makefile at work to do similiar things, nslu2's
          Makefile is much cleaner than mine. I will copy some of the
          clean/better syntax to my makefile at work :)

          > dyoung is busy with the switchbox reimplementation. He's doing it
          > because I have an imminent arrival of a second child, so I'm not
          > starting anything that I can't finish within 10 minutes.

          I am interested to get on board too. it is just the canadian crossing
          thing is quite scary. Not there, never did it before. The best milage
          I have is to use Sun WorkShop compiler to compile gcc.

          I feel guilty the other day to drag you to help me out for hours.

          later

          > -- Rod
        • tj_yang2001
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 30, 2004
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "dyoung8888" <dyoung8888@y...> wrote:

            > > Can you do it ? I am just a newbie trying to gain experience.
            > > gcc is the foundation pacakge, better not in my hands. besides
            > > my nslu2 is up without an ip address after reboot ;<
            > >

            > Its on my todo list. I've been busy with getting unslung-4.x out;
            > but the main reason it hasnt been touched in 2 weeks is it does NOT
            > pass the fp tests perfectly.
            >
            > It all works except for the -f test. I was hoping that would get
            > sorted out first. Also note that our crosstool cross compiler give
            > the same faulty result for the -f test.

            I happened to have another version when trying out "./demo.sh" from
            0.28-37 on a 8 CPUS RH box at work. I will try the gcc to see if it
            can past -f test.

            tj
          • tj_yang2001
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 30, 2004
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "dyoung8888" <dyoung8888@y...> wrote:

              > Note that I've already done some heavy lifting for the native
              > compiler package. its all in crosstool-native.mk
              >
              > It works up to the point where its supposed to make an ipk. Thats
              > the only part that is not done.

              In crosstool.mk,

              <snip>
              $(CROSSTOOL_IPK): $(CROSSTOOL_BUILD_DIR)/.built
              rm -rf $(CROSSTOOL_IPK_DIR) $(CROSSTOOL_IPK)
              install -d $(CROSSTOOL_IPK_DIR)/opt/bin
              $(TARGET_STRIP) $(CROSSTOOL_BUILD_DIR)/crosstool -o
              $(CROSSTOOL_IPK_DIR)/opt/bin/crosstool
              install -d $(CROSSTOOL_IPK_DIR)/CONTROL
              install -m 644 $(CROSSTOOL_SOURCE_DIR)/control
              $(CROSSTOOL_IPK_DIR)/CONTROL/control
              cd $(BUILD_DIR); $(IPKG_BUILD) $(CROSSTOOL_IPK_DIR)
              ^^^^^^^^^^^
              Looks like it is already can build the package.

              tj
            • Lennert Buytenhek
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 31, 2004
                On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 08:54:05PM -0000, r2004roellig wrote:

                > The expected output is:
                > http://www.familie-roellig.de/public/nslu2/toolchain/hello-fp-output.txt

                Aha! It doesn't negate properly. The 'abs' operation is probably
                also broken.

                I would ask you to apply this kernel patch:

                http://lists.arm.linux.org.uk/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2004-October/024909.html

                But that's going to be rather hard in case of the NSLU2. Anyone got a
                2.6 kernel running on the thing yet?

                cheers,
                Lennert
              • Lennert Buytenhek
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 31, 2004
                  On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 03:18:03AM -0000, tj_yang2001 wrote:

                  > > dyoung is busy with the switchbox reimplementation. He's doing it
                  > > because I have an imminent arrival of a second child, so I'm not
                  > > starting anything that I can't finish within 10 minutes.
                  >
                  > I am interested to get on board too. it is just the canadian crossing
                  > thing is quite scary. Not there, never did it before. The best milage
                  > I have is to use Sun WorkShop compiler to compile gcc.

                  I've managed to compile a 'native' gcc using qemu ARM emulation on
                  a x86 box. You just need an ARM chroot and then chroot into it using
                  qemu-arm (qemu-armeb in this case.)

                  This way you can just do "./configure && make && make install", no
                  need for fussing around with Canadian builds.

                  cheers,
                  Lennert
                • r2004roellig
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 31, 2004
                    Hi Lennert,

                    this sounds like a good explanation for the floating point sign issues
                    with NWFPE hardfloat. Due to those issues I have compiled my cross
                    compilers to do softfloat only...

                    Your patch is for kernel 2.6.x, however in this portion of the kernel
                    there are no differences to NSLU's 2.4.22 kernel. Thus I think the
                    patch should work for 2.4.22 too.

                    Here is what I'll do next:
                    - recompile unslung 3.16 with patched kernel
                    - give hello-fp.c another try
                    - if successful compile perl with native toolchain
                    - if perl compiles & runs flawless @ NSLU with patched kernel
                    I suggest that the patch should be driven into OE. Maybe then
                    all openslug and unslung 4.x developers/users could benefit from
                    working fp.

                    To run the tests will take me until Sunday. I need to go party now :)

                    Rene.

                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Lennert Buytenhek <buytenh@w...>
                    wrote:
                    > On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 08:54:05PM -0000, r2004roellig wrote:
                    >
                    > > The expected output is:

                    http://www.familie-roellig.de/public/nslu2/toolchain/hello-fp-output.txt

                    > Aha! It doesn't negate properly. The 'abs' operation is probably
                    > also broken.
                    >
                    > I would ask you to apply this kernel patch:

                    http://lists.arm.linux.org.uk/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2004-October/024909.html

                    > But that's going to be rather hard in case of the NSLU2. Anyone got a
                    > 2.6 kernel running on the thing yet?
                    >

                    > cheers,
                    > Lennert
                  • r2004roellig
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 1, 2005
                      Hi Lennert et all,

                      based on your kernel patch suggestion for the Netwinder floating
                      point issues I have performed these steps:

                      - recompiled unslung 3.16 with patched kernel (OE build) -> PASS
                      - gave hello-fp.c another try (esp. sign and abs tests) -> PASS
                      - compiled perl with native compiler -> PASS
                      - expecuted perl test suite -> PASS 100.0%

                      Although perl might not be a 100% test for floating point calculations
                      I think fp looks pretty robust now. Of course more comprehensive fp tests
                      are required. However at this point I would say this is a great break
                      through! Thanks for your help.

                      I'll request, that one of the NSLU2 OE developers will put the
                      patch into OE!

                      More on Perl (linked against shlibs with dynaloader support) to
                      follow in another message.

                      Thanks,
                      Rene.

                      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "r2004roellig" <r2004roellig@y...>

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 1, 2005
                        On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 00:13:48 -0000, r2004roellig <r2004roellig@...> wrote:
                        > I'll request, that one of the NSLU2 OE developers will put the
                        > patch into OE!

                        Done.

                        Can you test the 3.17 built from OE? When someone reports that 3.17
                        built from source fixes the problem, then we will release an updated
                        binary.