NSLU2 and twonky mediaserver

  • funny_foxii
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 29, 2004
      Hello Everyone,

      I'm now using the NSLU2 for 3 months and just installed unslung 3.16.
      My question is : I've reached the internet to find the answer but
      nobody seems to have it.
      So, I'll ask you guys...maybe somebody can help me out.

      Question :
      I have a DSM-320 and a NSLU2 wiht external HDD 120GB.
      I've installed unslung 3.16 (i have previously 2.12).
      My problem : when i start up NSLU2 he starts up all my scripts (that
      are located in /opt/etc/init.d/...).
      But I've also got TwonkyVision Mediaserver running, and this script
      doesn't start up automatically.
      I've tried everything (even used nohup), but the only way to start
      it up, is to telnet to the NSLU2 and manually start the script.
      I can tell you it has nothing to do with the script by itself (i
      hope i'm right!!). So, why can't the Nslu2 start up automatically
      the script ?
      One last thing : i've also got mt-daapd, who starts up automatically
      when i boot the NSLU2.

      I've tried these two scripts :

      1) S99mediaserver
      #!/bin/sh
      chdir /opt
      mediaserver &

      2) S99mediaserver
      #!/bin/sh
      cd /
      /opt/nohup /opt/mediaserver &

      1) working manually, not automatically (but shuts down after i
      closed the shell - know problem -> used nohup (see 2))

      2) only works manually.

      Can anybody help me out???

      Thanks,
      Davy
    • conziatwork
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 29, 2004

        i'm not shure if this may help you but:
        Did you set the executable flag (for everyone) for the script and the
        mediaserver? Like 'chmod ugoa+rwx S99mediaserver'

        Maybe your "boottime-user" is not allowed to start the script (or the
        mediaserver itself)

        Greetings from Euskrichen/Germany
        Martin aka ConziAtWork

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "funny_foxii" <funny_foxii@y...>
        wrote:

        > Hello Everyone,
        >
        > I'm now using the NSLU2 for 3 months and just installed unslung 3.
        16.
        > My question is : I've reached the internet to find the answer but
        > nobody seems to have it.
        > So, I'll ask you guys...maybe somebody can help me out.
        >
        > Question :
        > I have a DSM-320 and a NSLU2 wiht external HDD 120GB.
        > I've installed unslung 3.16 (i have previously 2.12).
        > My problem : when i start up NSLU2 he starts up all my scripts (that
        > are located in /opt/etc/init.d/...).
        > But I've also got TwonkyVision Mediaserver running, and this script
        > doesn't start up automatically.
        > I've tried everything (even used nohup), but the only way to start
        > it up, is to telnet to the NSLU2 and manually start the script.
        > I can tell you it has nothing to do with the script by itself (i
        > hope i'm right!!). So, why can't the Nslu2 start up automatically
        > the script ?
        > One last thing : i've also got mt-daapd, who starts up automatically
        > when i boot the NSLU2.
        >
        > I've tried these two scripts :
        >
        > 1) S99mediaserver
        > #!/bin/sh
        > chdir /opt
        > mediaserver &
        >
        > 2) S99mediaserver
        > #!/bin/sh
        > cd /
        > /opt/nohup /opt/mediaserver &
        >
        > 1) working manually, not automatically (but shuts down after i
        > closed the shell - know problem -> used nohup (see 2))
        >
        > 2) only works manually.
        >
        > Can anybody help me out???
        >

        > Thanks,
        > Davy
      • Karl
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 29, 2004

          I seem to be having the same problem. Although, it doesn't seem to
          be that the script fails to run, but that the mediaserver terminates.

          Execute the mediaserver then using ps, watch the memory for the
          program. On my NSLU2 it gets to about 80552 then stops.

          I'm assuming that it runs out of memory?

          If you add:-
          echo `date` "Server Started" >> \nohup.out
          to the S99mediaserver file after the /opt/nohup /opt/mediaserver &
          line. Then when telnet into the box type:-
          cat /nohup.out

          It will show if the script was executed.

          Any information you've got would be helpful

          regards

          Karl Williams

          wrote:

          > Hello Everyone,
          >
          > I'm now using the NSLU2 for 3 months and just installed unslung
          3.16.
          > My question is : I've reached the internet to find the answer but
          > nobody seems to have it.
          > So, I'll ask you guys...maybe somebody can help me out.
          >
          > Question :
          > I have a DSM-320 and a NSLU2 wiht external HDD 120GB.
          > I've installed unslung 3.16 (i have previously 2.12).
          > My problem : when i start up NSLU2 he starts up all my scripts
          (that
          > are located in /opt/etc/init.d/...).
          > But I've also got TwonkyVision Mediaserver running, and this
          script
          > doesn't start up automatically.
          > I've tried everything (even used nohup), but the only way to start
          > it up, is to telnet to the NSLU2 and manually start the script.
          > I can tell you it has nothing to do with the script by itself (i
          > hope i'm right!!). So, why can't the Nslu2 start up automatically
          > the script ?
          > One last thing : i've also got mt-daapd, who starts up
          automatically
          > when i boot the NSLU2.
          >
          > I've tried these two scripts :
          >
          > 1) S99mediaserver
          > #!/bin/sh
          > chdir /opt
          > mediaserver &
          >
          > 2) S99mediaserver
          > #!/bin/sh
          > cd /
          > /opt/nohup /opt/mediaserver &
          >
          > 1) working manually, not automatically (but shuts down after i
          > closed the shell - know problem -> used nohup (see 2))
          >
          > 2) only works manually.
          >
          > Can anybody help me out???
          >

          > Thanks,
          > Davy
        • bastiaanve
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 29, 2004
            wrote:

            > Hello Everyone,
            >
            > I'm now using the NSLU2 for 3 months and just installed unslung 3.16.

            I'm using 2.12b

            > Can anybody help me out???

            my script is something like:

            chdir /opt/bin
            /opt/bin/mediaserver -D

            This starts just fine at boot and keeps the server running.
            -D starts it in daemon mode. This is documented at
            http://www.twonkyvision.de/UPnP/MediaServerUsage.html

            Bastiaan

            > Thanks,
            > Davy
          • funny_foxii
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 30, 2004
              Hello Bastiaan,

              I've tried it, same thing : manually ok, automatically not working
              at all.

              Any other suggestions ?

              -Davy
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "bastiaanve" <bastiaanve@y...>
              wrote:

              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "funny_foxii"
              <funny_foxii@y...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello Everyone,
              > >
              > > I'm now using the NSLU2 for 3 months and just installed unslung
              3.16.

              > I'm using 2.12b
              >

              > > Can anybody help me out???
              >
              > my script is something like:
              >
              > chdir /opt/bin
              > /opt/bin/mediaserver -D
              >
              > This starts just fine at boot and keeps the server running.
              > -D starts it in daemon mode. This is documented at
              > http://www.twonkyvision.de/UPnP/MediaServerUsage.html
              >
              > Bastiaan
              >

              > > Thanks,
              > > Davy
            • funny_foxii
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 30, 2004
                Hello Karl,

                Tried your options, same thing -> manually ok, automatically (with
                boot) not working.
                But my nohup.out says : TwonkyVision Mediaserver 2.4 started (only
                manually).

                Hope we can sort this out!!

                -Davy
                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Karl" <boylard@o...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > I seem to be having the same problem. Although, it doesn't seem
                > be that the script fails to run, but that the mediaserver
                terminates.

                > Execute the mediaserver then using ps, watch the memory for the
                > program. On my NSLU2 it gets to about 80552 then stops.
                >
                > I'm assuming that it runs out of memory?
                >
                > If you add:-
                > echo `date` "Server Started" >> \nohup.out
                > to the S99mediaserver file after the /opt/nohup /opt/mediaserver &
                > line. Then when telnet into the box type:-
                > cat /nohup.out
                >
                > It will show if the script was executed.
                >
                > Any information you've got would be helpful
                >
                > regards
                >
                > Karl Williams
                >
                > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "funny_foxii"
                <funny_foxii@y...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello Everyone,
                > >
                > > I'm now using the NSLU2 for 3 months and just installed unslung
                > 3.16.
                > > My question is : I've reached the internet to find the answer
                but
                > > nobody seems to have it.
                > > So, I'll ask you guys...maybe somebody can help me out.
                > >
                > > Question :
                > > I have a DSM-320 and a NSLU2 wiht external HDD 120GB.
                > > I've installed unslung 3.16 (i have previously 2.12).
                > > My problem : when i start up NSLU2 he starts up all my scripts
                > (that
                > > are located in /opt/etc/init.d/...).
                > > But I've also got TwonkyVision Mediaserver running, and this
                > script
                > > doesn't start up automatically.
                > > I've tried everything (even used nohup), but the only way to
                start
                > > it up, is to telnet to the NSLU2 and manually start the script.
                > > I can tell you it has nothing to do with the script by itself (i
                > > hope i'm right!!). So, why can't the Nslu2 start up
                automatically
                > > the script ?
                > > One last thing : i've also got mt-daapd, who starts up
                > automatically
                > > when i boot the NSLU2.
                > >
                > > I've tried these two scripts :
                > >
                > > 1) S99mediaserver
                > > #!/bin/sh
                > > chdir /opt
                > > mediaserver &
                > >
                > > 2) S99mediaserver
                > > #!/bin/sh
                > > cd /
                > > /opt/nohup /opt/mediaserver &
                > >
                > > 1) working manually, not automatically (but shuts down after i
                > > closed the shell - know problem -> used nohup (see 2))
                > >
                > > 2) only works manually.
                > >
                > > Can anybody help me out???
                > >

                > > Thanks,
                > > Davy
              • funny_foxii
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 30, 2004
> [...]

                  start
                  > > it up, is to telnet to the NSLU2 and manually start the script.
                  > > I can tell you it has nothing to do with the script by itself (i
                  > > hope i'm right!!). So, why can't the Nslu2 start up
                  automatically
                  > > the script ?
                  > > One last thing : i've also got mt-daapd, who starts up
                  > automatically
                  > > when i boot the NSLU2.
                  > >
                  > > I've tried these two scripts :
                  > >
                  > > 1) S99mediaserver
                  > > #!/bin/sh
                  > > chdir /opt
                  > > mediaserver &
                  > >
                  > > 2) S99mediaserver
                  > > #!/bin/sh
                  > > cd /
                  > > /opt/nohup /opt/mediaserver &
                  > >
                  > > 1) working manually, not automatically (but shuts down after i
                  > > closed the shell - know problem -> used nohup (see 2))

                • funny_foxii
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 30, 2004
                    hi Martin,

                    I've tried what you explained, but didn't change anything.
                    Thanks for trying to helping me out anyway !!

                    Regards,
                    Davy
                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "conziatwork" <yahoo@c...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > i'm not shure if this may help you but:
                    > Did you set the executable flag (for everyone) for the script and
                    the
                    > mediaserver? Like 'chmod ugoa+rwx S99mediaserver'
                    >
                    > Maybe your "boottime-user" is not allowed to start the script (or
                    the
                    > mediaserver itself)
                    >
                    > Greetings from Euskrichen/Germany
                    > Martin aka ConziAtWork
                    >

                    > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "funny_foxii"
                    <funny_foxii@y...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hello Everyone,
                    > >
                    > > I'm now using the NSLU2 for 3 months and just installed unslung
                    3.
                    > 16.
                    > > My question is : I've reached the internet to find the answer
                    but
                    > > nobody seems to have it.
                    > > So, I'll ask you guys...maybe somebody can help me out.
                    > >
                    > > Question :
                    > > I have a DSM-320 and a NSLU2 wiht external HDD 120GB.
                    > > I've installed unslung 3.16 (i have previously 2.12).
                    > > My problem : when i start up NSLU2 he starts up all my scripts
                    (that
                    > > are located in /opt/etc/init.d/...).
                    > > But I've also got TwonkyVision Mediaserver running, and this
                    script
                    > > doesn't start up automatically.
                    > > I've tried everything (even used nohup), but the only way to
                    start
                    > > it up, is to telnet to the NSLU2 and manually start the script.
                    > > I can tell you it has nothing to do with the script by itself (i
                    > > hope i'm right!!). So, why can't the Nslu2 start up
                    automatically
                    > > the script ?
                    > > One last thing : i've also got mt-daapd, who starts up
                    automatically
                    > > when i boot the NSLU2.
                    > >
                    > > I've tried these two scripts :
                    > >
                    > > 1) S99mediaserver
                    > > #!/bin/sh
                    > > chdir /opt
                    > > mediaserver &
                    > >
                    > > 2) S99mediaserver
                    > > #!/bin/sh
                    > > cd /
                    > > /opt/nohup /opt/mediaserver &
                    > >
                    > > 1) working manually, not automatically (but shuts down after i
                    > > closed the shell - know problem -> used nohup (see 2))
                    > >
                    > > 2) only works manually.
                    > >
                    > > Can anybody help me out???
                    > >

                    > > Thanks,
                    > > Davy
                  • Siddy
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 1, 2005
                      Hi!

                      > My problem : when i start up NSLU2 he starts up all my scripts (that
                      > are located in /opt/etc/init.d/...).
                      > But I've also got TwonkyVision Mediaserver running, and this script
                      > doesn't start up automatically.

                      I had similar problems with two of my scripts in /opt/etc/init.d. The
                      problems resulted from two totaly different reasons, so here they are:

                      1) Startup of your mediaserver will fail if it needs access to files
                      on /share/hdd/data for startup. The data-partition is unavailable
                      during execution of the init-scripts.

                      2) Does the mediaserver need external libraries? If it does, they will
                      probably be in /opt/lib, which is not included in LD_LIBRARY_PATH
                      during execution of the init-scripts. Simply execute the mediaserver
                      via LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/lib /path/to/funky/mediaserver and there you
                      go!

                      Cheers,
                      Siddy
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 1, 2005
                        > 1) Startup of your mediaserver will fail if it needs access to files
                        > on /share/hdd/data for startup. The data-partition is unavailable
                        > during execution of the init-scripts.

                        That's not correct (or if it is correct then it's a serious bug). The
                        data partition is mounted in rc.bootbin, well before the
                        /opt/etc/init.d scripts run.

                        > 2) Does the mediaserver need external libraries? If it does, they will
                        > probably be in /opt/lib, which is not included in LD_LIBRARY_PATH
                        > during execution of the init-scripts. Simply execute the mediaserver
                        > via LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/lib /path/to/funky/mediaserver and there you
                        > go!

                        As a customer, you should alert Twonkyvision to the fact that they can
                        encode that library path into the executable at link time to save you
                        this trouble. Point them to the Unslung packages Makefile where this
                        is now done automatically for all Unslung packages.

                        --- Rod
                      • Siddy
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 2, 2005
                          Hi!

                          On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 08:14:26 +1030, Rod Whitby <list.yahoo@...> wrote:

                          > > 1) Startup of your mediaserver will fail if it needs access to files
                          > > on /share/hdd/data for startup. The data-partition is unavailable
                          > > during execution of the init-scripts.
                          >
                          > That's not correct (or if it is correct then it's a serious bug). The
                          > data partition is mounted in rc.bootbin, well before the
                          > /opt/etc/init.d scripts run.

                          Well... I wanted to start a thttpd, which should log to
                          /share/hdd/data/log/thttpd.log. Starting the script manually was no
                          problem at all, automatic startup on boot gave an error "Can't connect
                          to /share/hdd/data/log/thttpd.log" (or similar, can't remember...).
                          Logging to /share/hdd/conf/log/thttpd.log solved that problem. So, to
                          me it looks like the data-partition is unavailable (at least for
                          writing) during script-execution.

                          Ciao,
                          Siddy
                        • Siddy
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 2, 2005
                            Rehi!

                            On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 11:59:57 +0100, Siddy <sidddy@...> wrote:
                            > Hi!
                            >
                            > On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 08:14:26 +1030, Rod Whitby <list.yahoo@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > 1) Startup of your mediaserver will fail if it needs access to files
                            > > > on /share/hdd/data for startup. The data-partition is unavailable
                            > > > during execution of the init-scripts.
                            > >
                            > > That's not correct (or if it is correct then it's a serious bug). The
                            > > data partition is mounted in rc.bootbin, well before the
                            > > /opt/etc/init.d scripts run.
                            >
                            > Well... I wanted to start a thttpd, which should log to
                            > /share/hdd/data/log/thttpd.log. Starting the script manually was no
                            > problem at all, automatic startup on boot gave an error "Can't connect
                            > to /share/hdd/data/log/thttpd.log" (or similar, can't remember...).
                            > Logging to /share/hdd/conf/log/thttpd.log solved that problem. So, to
                            > me it looks like the data-partition is unavailable (at least for
                            > writing) during script-execution.

                            Here's the output of mount, executed via an init.d-script:

                            /dev/mtdblock4 on / type jffs2 (rw)
                            /proc on /proc type proc (rw)
                            usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
                            /dev/mtdblock4 on /dev.state type jffs2 (rw)
                            ramfs on /dev type ramfs (rw)
                            /dev/mtdblock4 on /var.state type jffs2 (rw)
                            ramfs on /var type ramfs (rw)
                            /dev/sda1 on /share/hdd/data type ext3 (ro)
                            /dev/sda2 on /share/hdd/conf type ext3 (rw,sync)
                            none on /tmp type ramfs (rw)

                            So, the data-partition is mounted read-only, which _was_ a problem for
                            my thttpd.

                            Cheers,
                            Siddy
                          • bastiaanve
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 2, 2005
                              wrote:

                              > Hello Bastiaan,
                              >
                              > I've tried it, same thing : manually ok, automatically not working
                              > at all.
                              >
                              > Any other suggestions ?
                              >
                              > -Davy

                              I just installed 3.16b + twonkyvision server without any problems.
                              I'll try to go into detail what I did:

                              put mediaserver in /opt/bin, make sure it's executable
                              cd to /opt/bin and run ./mediaserver
                              ctrl+c to kill it
                              this will have created twonkyvision-mediaserver.ini in the same directory
                              edit this file to your preference.
                              if you use contentdir option, make sure this path exists
                              if you use dbfile option, make sure this path exists

                              create the following files in /opt/etc/init.d:
                              S99twonky:
                              #!/bin/sh
                              cd /opt/bin
                              /opt/bin/mediaserver -D

                              K99twonky:
                              #!/bin/sh
                              /bin/killall mediaserver

                              make them executable:
                              chmod +x S99twonky K99twonky

                              that's it...
                              you can try to run /opt/etc/init.d/S99twonky from the commandline to
                              check that the script is working. it should print "TwonkyVision Media
                              Server Version 2.4" and return immediately. ps should now show it running.

                              Bastiaan

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 2, 2005
                                On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 12:18:08 +0100, Siddy <sidddy@...> wrote:
                                > /dev/sda1 on /share/hdd/data type ext3 (ro)
                                > /dev/sda2 on /share/hdd/conf type ext3 (rw,sync)
                                > So, the data-partition is mounted read-only, which _was_ a problem for
                                > my thttpd.

                                Are you sure it's not the quota checking which is causing your data
                                drive to be read-only at that time? Try diverting rc.quota to a null
                                script which returns 0.