Re: [nslu2-linux] NTFS/FAT32 and CF reader support

  • David Mitchell
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 13, 2004
      According to the Linksys knowledge base, FAT32 is
      supported for flash drives, but unfortunately
      hotplugging doesnt seem to be..

      Perhaps a cgi could be written to do the mount/umount
      thing? With the news of the snapstream build working
      on the box though, unless the hardware is crippled
      somehow I wouldnt expect it will be long now until
      hotplugging and other USB drivers will start working.

      -dave

      http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1483

      """
      A USB Flash disk with the FAT/FAT32 file system can be
      connected to the Network Storage Link (NSLU2). The
      only limitation is that the NSLU2 User and Group
      permissions cannot be applied.
      Only Disk drives that have been formatted using the
      NSLU2 will be able to use the user and group
      permissions.

      Connecting the USB Flash Disk:

      Make sure that the NSLU2 is turned off.
      Connect the USB Flash disk to the NSLU2 using the Disk
      2 USB Slot.

      Turn on the NSLU2. Wait for the Ready/Status light to
      stop blinking.
      Ensure that Disk 2 LED on the front of the device is
      lit up. If it is not, check to make sure your USB
      Flash Disk is connected firmly into place.

      ....[cont'd]...
      """

      --- jzibble2 <jzibble@...> wrote:

      > I have two wish list items that I haven't found
      > solutions for (it's
      > been a while since I've mucked with Linux -
      > apologies in advance if
      > these falls into the "dumb question" category):
      >
      > 1) NTFS or FAT32 support. I would really like to be
      > able to plug a
      > drive into the NSLU2 (at least on the 2nd port) that
      > I could tote to
      > another Windows machine.
      >
      > 2) Automounting/unmounting of the 2nd drive port.
      > This would be
      > useful for hot swapping drives in general but I'd
      > *really* like to
      > put a CompactFlash reader on port two and put the
      > NSLU2 in my living
      > room for quick offloading of photos. I've written a
      > simple app to
      > do the file moving (which I use often with a
      > directly connected USB
      > CF reader), but I'd love to be able to use it from a
      > CF reader
      > elsewhere in the house. As it stands right now, if
      > I boot the NSLU2
      > with the CF Reader connected and a CF card in, it
      > picks it up. It
      > of course doesn't pickup the CF removal or
      > reinsertion of another CF
      > card.
      >
      > If the automounting isn't possible, could the front
      > power button be
      > remapped to perform an unmount and then mount
      > script?
      >
      > Kudos to the list in general:
      > Awesome work on hacking the unit so far.

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Craig Procter
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 14, 2004
        could a script unmount the USB drive when hotplug detects the rive is removed?