Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Got Perl 5.6.1 working at NSLU2

    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 20, 2004
      On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 00:41:04 -0000, r2004roellig <r2004roellig@...> wrote:
      > I've created 2 versions for binary install: ipk and tar ball:
      > http://www.familie-roellig.de/public/nslu2/perl/perl_5.6.1-1_armeb.ipk
      > Otherwise it would be great if you could move it onto the ipkg server.

      Another option is for you to create the Packages and Packages.gz files
      in a feed directory on your site (e.g.
      http://www.familie-roellig.de/public/nslu2/unslung/), and then we will
      just add that feed URL to the ipkg.conf file in the Unslung
      distribution.

      We have always intended to do this for commercial packages (like the
      Twonky Vision) server, and I think it's the best way to handle
      contributed binary packages (until we are able to build them
      automatically in the CVS build system - maybe even by running that
      build system on an NSLU2).

      Then you can control releases of those binary packages, and not have
      to depend upon asking someone to update them in the main feed when you
      change them. To the user, it will be transparent, cause the ipkg
      install will look in both feeds for the perl package.

      -- Rod
    • Sam
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 20, 2004
        Thanks Rene! Seems to work like a charm, at least with the app I
        volunteered. Slimserver works, although top shows it sucking down about
        75% of my slug's CPU and 50% of it's memory, and it's delivering more
        than a few skips ... due to running out of resources on the slug, not my
        slow 802.11b router, I think.

        At any rate, it's a fun app to try out, nice remote web-based interface
        controlling a streaming server, if anyone's interested ...

        http://www.slimdevices.com/su_downloads.html

        -- Sam

        r2004roellig wrote:

> [...]
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BuildPerlOnYourNSLU2Box
        >

        > Hi Rod,
        > Perl resides in the unslung default directories now. Please check
        > whether the ikg works (I'm not that experienced which ipk until now).
        > Please let me know if there are issues. Otherwise it would be great if
        > you could move it onto the ipkg server. Updated build instructions can
        > be found at Wiki:
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Rene.
        >

        > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "alex_reina" <alex_reina@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > I went through the same yesterday... Downloaded a dev environment just
        > > to compile the DB_File module. It all went relatively well, until the
        > > CGI just complained that it couldn't load the module!
        > >
        > > I vote for DB_File to be included: libdb is already available via
        > > ipkg, this means you could use many apps that required database
        > > connectivity (Berkeley DB), such as Movable Type.
        > >
        > > Of course, the wider issue of how to deal with modules remains. And
        > > this being Perl, that's a BIG issue ;-)
        > >
        > > Many thanks for your work anyway.
        > >
        > > Alex
        > >

        > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "r2004roellig" <r2004roellig@y...>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi,
        > > >
        > > > thanks for pointing me to the issue with static linked modules. I
        > have
        > > > a build running over night to get Time::HiRes built in statically.
        > > > However at the long run it might become a significant disadvantage,
        > > > that due to static perl binary build the dynamic module loading does
        > > > not seem to work. This is not what I would have expected. I can
        > > > think about a solution, however if anybody has an idea...
        > > >
        > > > Of course the best thing would be to link perl against the shared libs
        > > > at the NSLU (glibc 2.2.5). Current static toolchains fail (gcc
        > > > 3.3.4/glibc 2.2.5 etc)
        > > > to handle floating point correctly.
        > > >
        > > > I have a small test program (quick hack) at:
        > > > http://de.geocities.com/r2004roellig/public/NSLU2/toolchain/hello-fp.c
        > > >
        > > > The expected output is:
        > > >

        > http://de.geocities.com/r2004roellig/public/NSLU2/toolchain/hello-fp-output.txt
        > > >
        > > > I've found that correct execution of this quick hack is a prerequisite
        > > > to get perl done.
        > > >
        > > > I also have tried to apply "glibc-fp-byteorder.patch" against glibc
        > > > 2.2.5, however without success.
        > > >
        > > > So it would help a lot if anybody has an idea what needs to be done to
        > > > get the native toolchain (gcc-x.y.z-glibc-2.2.5) fixed.
        > > >
        > > > For reference here are my results of compiler and glibc version tests
        > > > regarding floating point execution:
        > > >

        > http://de.geocities.com/r2004roellig/public/NSLU2/toolchain/Compilertests.txt
        > > >
        > > > Thanks,
        > > > Rene.

        > Slim
        > build,

        > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the Wiki at

      • r2004roellig
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 21, 2004
          Hello,

          I have made the my perl ipkg available at
          http://www.familie-roellig.de/public/nslu2/unslung/

          If /etc/ipkg.conf contains the line
          src r2004roellig http://www.familie-roellig.de/public/nslu2/unslung

          then perl can be installed with
          ipkg update
          ipkg install perl

          I have updated the documentation in the NSLU Wiki at
          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BuildPerlOnYourNSLU2Box.

          Ciao,
          Rene.

          > Another option is for you to create the Packages and Packages.gz files
          > in a feed directory on your site (e.g.
          > http://www.familie-roellig.de/public/nslu2/unslung/), and then we will
          > just add that feed URL to the ipkg.conf file in the Unslung
          > distribution.
          >
          > We have always intended to do this for commercial packages (like the
          > Twonky Vision) server, and I think it's the best way to handle
          > contributed binary packages (until we are able to build them
          > automatically in the CVS build system - maybe even by running that
          > build system on an NSLU2).
          >
          > Then you can control releases of those binary packages, and not have
          > to depend upon asking someone to update them in the main feed when you
          > change them. To the user, it will be transparent, cause the ipkg
          > install will look in both feeds for the perl package.
          >
          > -- Rod
        • Marc D. Field
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 21, 2004
            In article news:41C78597.70900@..., Sam <sam-E+nNfmQdIM+khvEg7cKfgAC/G2K4zDHf@...> wrote:
            >Slimserver works, although top shows it sucking down about
            >75% of my slug's CPU and 50% of it's memory, and it's delivering more
            >than a few skips ... due to running out of resources on the slug, not my
            >slow 802.11b router, I think.

            Hi Sam,

            Just curious: what type of music files are you playing? mp3s? Was slimserver scanning for music when it was using 75% CPU? Did you have the slimserver web interface open at the time?

            I picked-up a Buffalo Linkstation at CompUsa's Thanksgiving doorbuster sale specifically to use with slimserver. It runs under 2% cpu when idle, and about 6% when streaming mp3 or internet radio, and very high when scanning. With a PC "connected" via the web interface, cpu goes up to the high 90s after a few hours and stays there until you kill and restart the server. So I'm wondering whether you're seeing similar issues, or whether slimserver j the slug.

            Marc

            --
            Marc
          • Marc D. Field
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 21, 2004
              In article news:41C78597.70900@..., Sam <sam-E+nNfmQdIM+khvEg7cKfgAC/G2K4zDHf@...> wrote:
              >Slimserver works, although top shows it sucking down about
              >75% of my slug's CPU and 50% of it's memory, and it's delivering more
              >than a few skips ... due to running out of resources on the slug, not my
              >slow 802.11b router, I think.

              [posting again because I magically happened upon the key combination to post before I was done editing the last line.]

              Hi Sam,

              Just curious: what type of music files are you playing? mp3s? Was slimserver scanning for music when it was using 75% CPU? Did you have the slimserver web interface open at the time?

              I picked-up a Buffalo Linkstation at CompUsa's Thanksgiving doorbuster sale specifically to use with slimserver. It runs under 2% cpu when idle, and about 6% when streaming mp3 or internet radio, and very high when scanning. With a PC "connected" via the web interface, cpu goes up to the high 90s after a few hours and stays there until you kill and restart the server. So I'm wondering whether you're seeing similar issues, or whether slimserver just uses more of the cpu on the slug.

              Marc

              --
              Marc
            • Sam
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 22, 2004
                Good question. My quick test included all of the above - I scanned
                about 2,400 files, mostly mp3s and a few oggs while curiously hammering
                the Web interface. After the scan finished, CPU and memory usage stayed
                high, going down a little when it quit streaming, but still high.

                I'm heading out in a few minutes on a trip with no geek access for a
                week, so I'll try a little more careful testing and let you know. I was
                planning to dig in a little to see if Slimserver could be made usable on
                a slug after getting back anyway.

                -- Sam

                Marc D. Field wrote:
                > In article news:41C78597.70900@..., Sam
                > <sam-E+nNfmQdIM+khvEg7cKfgAC/G2K4zDHf@...> wrote:
                > >Slimserver works, although top shows it sucking down about
                > >75% of my slug's CPU and 50% of it's memory, and it's delivering more
                > >than a few skips ... due to running out of resources on the slug, not my
                > >slow 802.11b router, I think.
                >

                > [posting again because I magically happened upon the key combination to
                > post before I was done editing the last line.]
                >
                > Hi Sam,
                >
                > Just curious: what type of music files are you playing? mp3s? Was
                > slimserver scanning for music when it was using 75% CPU? Did you have
                > the slimserver web interface open at the time?
                >
                > I picked-up a Buffalo Linkstation at CompUsa's Thanksgiving doorbuster
                > sale specifically to use with slimserver. It runs under 2% cpu when
                > idle, and about 6% when streaming mp3 or internet radio, and very high
                > when scanning. With a PC "connected" via the web interface, cpu goes up
                > to the high 90s after a few hours and stays there until you kill and
                > restart the server. So I'm wondering whether you're seeing similar
                > issues, or whether slimserver just uses more of the cpu on the slug.
                >
                > Marc
                >
                > --
                > Marc
                >

                > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the Wiki at
                > http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]
                >

                > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
                > click here
                > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129f8udgt/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1705004750:HM/EXP=1103783948/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>

              • Sam
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 31, 2004
                  After a second try, it appears that Slimserver works fine and
                  hiccup-free unless your Slug's doing a lot of other things at the same
                  time. I think Slimserver was still scanning my music library the first
                  time I tried. With the scanning done, it works fine now, even when the
                  Web interface is being used.

                  The reason I'm interested in Slimserver over mt-daapd in the first place
                  is because it's got the ability to selectively transcode mp3 output
                  streams on the fly, which, to me, means lower-bitrate streams to
                  external IPs, allowing me to listen to a home music collection from work
                  without surpassing my home connection's 128Kb upload speed. Slimserver
                  transcodes by passing a stream to an external application, usually LAME,
                  so my next step is to try getting LAME compiled on a Slug ...

                  -- Sam

                  Sam wrote:
                  > Good question. My quick test included all of the above - I scanned
                  > about 2,400 files, mostly mp3s and a few oggs while curiously hammering
                  > the Web interface. After the scan finished, CPU and memory usage stayed
                  > high, going down a little when it quit streaming, but still high.
                  >
                  > I'm heading out in a few minutes on a trip with no geek access for a
                  > week, so I'll try a little more careful testing and let you know. I was
                  > planning to dig in a little to see if Slimserver could be made usable on
                  > a slug after getting back anyway.
                  >
                  > -- Sam
                  >

                  > Marc D. Field wrote:
                  > > In article news:41C78597.70900@..., Sam
                  > > <sam-E+nNfmQdIM+khvEg7cKfgAC/G2K4zDHf@...> wrote:
                  > > >Slimserver works, although top shows it sucking down about
                  > > >75% of my slug's CPU and 50% of it's memory, and it's delivering more
                  > > >than a few skips ... due to running out of resources on the slug,
                  > not my
                  > > >slow 802.11b router, I think.
                  > >

                  > > [posting again because I magically happened upon the key combination to
                  > > post before I was done editing the last line.]
                  > >
                  > > Hi Sam,
                  > >
                  > > Just curious: what type of music files are you playing? mp3s? Was
                  > > slimserver scanning for music when it was using 75% CPU? Did you have
                  > > the slimserver web interface open at the time?
                  > >
                  > > I picked-up a Buffalo Linkstation at CompUsa's Thanksgiving doorbuster
                  > > sale specifically to use with slimserver. It runs under 2% cpu when
                  > > idle, and about 6% when streaming mp3 or internet radio, and very high
                  > > when scanning. With a PC "connected" via the web interface, cpu goes up
                  > > to the high 90s after a few hours and stays there until you kill and
                  > > restart the server. So I'm wondering whether you're seeing similar
                  > > issues, or whether slimserver just uses more of the cpu on the slug.
                  > >
                  > > Marc
                • dyoung8888
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jan 3, 2005
                    I just performed the hello-fp.c test using the the crosstool cross
                    compiler. It used to fail the -f test under <= 3.16; but under 3.17
                    it seems to work better.

                    Results:
                    # ./a.out
                    val = 10
                    result = 2.30259
                    hallo world.
                    0.500000
                    0.250000
                    88888888.800000
                    2.718282
                    2.250000

                    Under 3.16 the 4th line of the results was not correct. That was
                    the same result I would get using the native compiler. That being
                    said, I have no reason to believe that the native compiler wouldnt
                    work.

                    Message 9 of 30 , Jan 3, 2005
                      It in fact does work as expected.

                      > Under 3.16 the 4th line of the results was not correct. That was
                      > the same result I would get using the native compiler. That being
                      > said, I have no reason to believe that the native compiler wouldnt
                      > work.

                      # /share/hdd/data/tools/gcc/bin/armv5b-softfloat-linux-gcc -lm hello-
                      fp.c
                      # ./a.out
                      val = 10
                      result = 2.30259
                      hallo world.
                      0.500000
                      0.250000
                      88888888.800000
                      2.718282
                      2.250000
                    • Gregoire Cosendai
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jan 3, 2005
                        Sam,
                        I tried the same with ~10000 mp3 and its is very slow.

                        What memory do you read when you do a ps and its finished scanning ?

                        What rev of unslug are you running ?

                        Thanks,
                        Greg

                      • Sam
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jan 3, 2005
                          Even with only 3k mp3s, memory usage is quite high, about 50% to 60% of
                          total memory according to top, and I'm using 2.x (can't remember minor
                          version). It does not pause as it did while scanning, but the web
                          interface is exactly snappy.

                          FYI, I haven't gotten lame working yet - it compiles, and appears to
                          run, but never produces any results. Perhaps it's the softfloat math
                          issue pointed out when Perl was built, so I'll try again with the
                          recommended updates. But, with the already high resource usage, I'm not
                          so sure that smooth on-the-fly transcoding will be possible.

                          Sam

                          Gregoire Cosendai wrote:

> [...]
                          > for a
                          > > > week, so I'll try a little more careful testing and let you know.
                          > I was
                          > > > planning to dig in a little to see if Slimserver could be made
                          > usable on
                          > > > a slug after getting back anyway.
                          > > >
                          > > > -- Sam

                          > delivering more
                          > slug,
                          > > > not my

                          > combination to

                          > mp3s? Was
                          > you have

                          > doorbuster
                          > cpu when
                          > very high
                          > cpu goes up
                          > kill and
                          > similar
                          > slug.

                          > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the Wiki at

                        • r2004roellig
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jan 3, 2005
                            Hi dyoung,

                            unslung 3.17 fixes a bug in the NWFP emulator. I've requested an
                            patch yesterday, Rod has incorporated the fix into OE, rebuilt
                            unslung and has released 3.17. Thus this issue has gone.

                            Initially I have thought that this is a compiler issues as for
                            the NSLU in crosstool the target "armv5b-softfloat.dat" is used.
                            "Softfloat" meant to me that the compiler uses own floating point
                            routines.
                            By building gcc3.4.2/glibc 2.3.2 my impression got reinforced, as
                            this combination worked excellent, by using obviously true
                            glibc/compiler internal fp code (see
                            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/NativeFloatingPointToolchain)

                            Over the weekend I have learnt that the native tool chain with
                            gcc 3.3.4/glibc2.2.5 is not a real softfloat tool chain. By running
                            gcc -S I have seen that it emits math instructions instead. Those
                            get emulated by the Netwinder Kernel FP emu. Unfortunately the
                            negation() and fabs() instruction handler functions were broken.
                            This explains exactly the behavior we saw with unslung <= 3.16.

                            Rene.

                            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "dyoung8888" <dyoung8888@y...> wrote:

                            > It in fact does work as expected.
                            >
                            > > Under 3.16 the 4th line of the results was not correct. That was
                            > > the same result I would get using the native compiler. That being
                            > > said, I have no reason to believe that the native compiler wouldnt
                            > > work.
                            >
                            > # /share/hdd/data/tools/gcc/bin/armv5b-softfloat-linux-gcc -lm hello-
                            > fp.c
                            > # ./a.out
                            > val = 10
                            > result = 2.30259
                            > hallo world.
                            > 0.500000
                            > 0.250000
                            > 88888888.800000
                            > 2.718282
                            > 2.250000
                          • tj_yang2001
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jan 3, 2005
                              Hi, Rene

                              Can you upload the files on pauahtun.org to sf.net or nslu2 sites ?
                              I am having problem to download your gcc-3.4.2 binary.

                              ftp://www.pauahtun.org/pub/nslu2/nslu-native-gcc3.4.2-glibc-2.3.2.tgz

                              Thanks

                              tj

                              wrote:

                              > Hi dyoung,
                              >
                              > unslung 3.17 fixes a bug in the NWFP emulator. I've requested an
                              > patch yesterday, Rod has incorporated the fix into OE, rebuilt
                              > unslung and has released 3.17. Thus this issue has gone.
                              >
                              > Initially I have thought that this is a compiler issues as for
                              > the NSLU in crosstool the target "armv5b-softfloat.dat" is used.
                              > "Softfloat" meant to me that the compiler uses own floating point
                              > routines.
                              > By building gcc3.4.2/glibc 2.3.2 my impression got reinforced, as
                              > this combination worked excellent, by using obviously true
                              > glibc/compiler internal fp code (see
                              > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/NativeFloatingPointToolchain)
                              >
                              > Over the weekend I have learnt that the native tool chain with
                              > gcc 3.3.4/glibc2.2.5 is not a real softfloat tool chain. By running
                              > gcc -S I have seen that it emits math instructions instead. Those
                              > get emulated by the Netwinder Kernel FP emu. Unfortunately the
                              > negation() and fabs() instruction handler functions were broken.
                              > This explains exactly the behavior we saw with unslung <= 3.16.
                              >
                              > Rene.
                              >
                              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "dyoung8888" <dyoung8888@y...>
                              wrote:

                              > > It in fact does work as expected.
                              > >
                              > > > Under 3.16 the 4th line of the results was not correct. That was
                              > > > the same result I would get using the native compiler. That being
                              > > > said, I have no reason to believe that the native compiler wouldnt
                              > > > work.
                              > >
                              > > # /share/hdd/data/tools/gcc/bin/armv5b-softfloat-linux-gcc -lm hello-
                              > > fp.c
                              > > # ./a.out
                              > > val = 10
                              > > result = 2.30259
                              > > hallo world.
                              > > 0.500000
                              > > 0.250000
                              > > 88888888.800000
                              > > 2.718282
                              > > 2.250000
                            • tj_yang2001
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jan 4, 2005
                                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "tj_yang2001" <tj_yang2001@y...>
                                wrote:

                                > Hi, Rene
                                >
                                > Can you upload the files on pauahtun.org to sf.net or nslu2 sites ?
                                > I am having problem to download your gcc-3.4.2 binary.
                                >
                                > ftp://www.pauahtun.org/pub/nslu2/nslu-native-gcc3.4.2-glibc-2.3.2.tgz

                                Looks like the problem is from my internet connection.
                                I can download short scripts quickly but not the big tar.gz.

                                tj

                              • Gregoire Cosendai
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jan 4, 2005
                                  Sam,
                                  I am having some issues with the server, it does not store the cache.
                                  I cant find anywhere the file .slimserver.db which should in /root
                                  And the server doesn't remember the previous scan, therfore it takes
                                  half a day scanning everytime.

                                  Looks from slim website that its coming from a memory leak in perl5.6
                                  which may be fixed in perl5.8

                                  Do you have the same problem ?
                                  Greg
                                • Sam
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jan 4, 2005
                                    Yes, I noticed the same thing with the scans getting lost every restart.
                                    I didn't spend much time looking into it yet, and figured it was due
                                    to some dumbness on my part - thanks for the info. I'll play with it
                                    too and let you know if I discover any way to retain song info.

                                    Sam

                                    Gregoire Cosendai wrote:

                                    > Sam,
                                    > I am having some issues with the server, it does not store the cache.
                                    > I cant find anywhere the file .slimserver.db which should in /root
                                    > And the server doesn't remember the previous scan, therfore it takes
                                    > half a day scanning everytime.
                                    >
                                    > Looks from slim website that its coming from a memory leak in perl5.6
                                    > which may be fixed in perl5.8
                                    >
                                    > Do you have the same problem ?
                                    > Greg
                                    >

                                    > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the Wiki at
                                    > http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]

                                  • r2004roellig
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jan 5, 2005
                                      Hello,

                                      I've put perl 5.8.6 ipk on my download directory. Just give it a
                                      try. Simply follow the instructions on
                                      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BuildPerlOnYourNSLU2Box

                                      Rene.

                                      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Sam <sam@p...> wrote:
                                      > Yes, I noticed the same thing with the scans getting lost every
                                      restart.
                                      > I didn't spend much time looking into it yet, and figured it was due
                                      > to some dumbness on my part - thanks for the info. I'll play with it
                                      > too and let you know if I discover any way to retain song info.
                                      >
                                      > Sam
                                      >

                                      > Gregoire Cosendai wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Sam,
                                      > > I am having some issues with the server, it does not store the cache.
                                      > > I cant find anywhere the file .slimserver.db which should in /root
                                      > > And the server doesn't remember the previous scan, therfore it takes
                                      > > half a day scanning everytime.
                                      > >
                                      > > Looks from slim website that its coming from a memory leak in perl5.6
                                      > > which may be fixed in perl5.8
                                      > >
                                      > > Do you have the same problem ?
                                      > > Greg
                                      > >

                                      > > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the
                                      Wiki at
                                      > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]

                                    • r2004roellig
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jan 5, 2005
                                        Sorry, I need to call back this message: after testing perl I've
                                        just written this email and installed the ipkg in parallel at
                                        my slug. Due to the significant bigger size of perl 5.6.8
                                        (ipk=10MB) the NSLU came never back again (tested on unslung 1.15).
                                        Thus I need to check what under /opt/lib can be stripped down.
                                        This will take me some time...

                                        If you want to test in advance just check out the tgz archive:
                                        http://www.familie-roellig.de/public/nslu2/unslung/perl-5.8.6-bin-static.tgz

                                        Thanks,
                                        Rene.

                                        wrote:

                                        > Hello,
                                        >
                                        > I've put perl 5.8.6 ipk on my download directory. Just give it a
                                        > try. Simply follow the instructions on
                                        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BuildPerlOnYourNSLU2Box
                                        >
                                        > Rene.
                                        >

                                        > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Sam <sam@p...> wrote:
                                        > > Yes, I noticed the same thing with the scans getting lost every
                                        > restart.
                                        > > I didn't spend much time looking into it yet, and figured it was
                                        due
                                        > > to some dumbness on my part - thanks for the info. I'll play with it
                                        > > too and let you know if I discover any way to retain song info.
                                        > >
                                        > > Sam
                                        > >

                                        > > Gregoire Cosendai wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Sam,
                                        > > > I am having some issues with the server, it does not store the
                                        cache.
                                        > > > I cant find anywhere the file .slimserver.db which should in /root
                                        > > > And the server doesn't remember the previous scan, therfore it takes
                                        > > > half a day scanning everytime.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Looks from slim website that its coming from a memory leak in
                                        perl5.6
                                        > > > which may be fixed in perl5.8
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Do you have the same problem ?
                                        > > > Greg
                                        > > >

                                        > > > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the
                                        > Wiki at
                                        > > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]

                                      • Gregoire Cosendai
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jan 6, 2005
                                          Rene,
                                          Thank you so much for the 5.6.8 you definitely move quicker than me.
                                          a few things:
                                          - I have perl5.6.8 static running ok on unslug3.17b so far so good
                                          - The slimserver running on 5.6.8 does indeed create
                                          the .slimserver.db. (Yeah !)
                                          - For some reason the build even static seems much less hungry in
                                          memory than the initial perl5.6.1-1
                                          - A weired thing tough; is that when I run perl as a daemon, it exits
                                          or crashes (e.g. perl slimserver.pl &) but it doesn't when I run it
                                          as a console.
                                          - I think there is a typo in the howtobuildperl... it currently reads
                                          "
                                          1) ipkg install perl
                                          2) ipkg install perl561-static (same as 1, just alias)
                                          3) ipkg install perl586-static
                                          4) ipkg install perl586-shared (works since
                                          "
                                          and I think it should read
                                          "
                                          1) ipkg ...
                                          ...static
                                          4) ipkg install perl561-shared (works since
                                          "
                                          If you agree and give me an ok, I will fix it.

                                          Best !
                                          Greg

                                          <r2004roellig@y...> wrote:

                                          > Sorry, I need to call back this message: after testing perl I've
                                          > just written this email and installed the ipkg in parallel at
                                          > my slug. Due to the significant bigger size of perl 5.6.8
                                          > (ipk=10MB) the NSLU came never back again (tested on unslung 1.15).
                                          > Thus I need to check what under /opt/lib can be stripped down.
                                          > This will take me some time...
                                          >
                                          > If you want to test in advance just check out the tgz archive:
                                          > http://www.familie-roellig.de/public/nslu2/unslung/perl-5.8.6-bin-
                                          static.tgz

                                          > Thanks,
                                          > Rene.
                                          >

                                          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "r2004roellig"
                                          <r2004roellig@y...>
                                          > wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Hello,
                                          > >
                                          > > I've put perl 5.8.6 ipk on my download directory. Just give it a
                                          > > try. Simply follow the instructions on
                                          > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BuildPerlOnYourNSLU2Box
                                          > >
                                          > > Rene.
                                          > >

                                          > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Sam <sam@p...> wrote:
                                          > > > Yes, I noticed the same thing with the scans getting lost every
                                          > > restart.
                                          > > > I didn't spend much time looking into it yet, and figured it
                                          was
                                          > due
                                          > > > to some dumbness on my part - thanks for the info. I'll play
                                          with it
                                          > > > too and let you know if I discover any way to retain song info.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Sam

                                          > cache.

                                          > perl5.6

                                          > > Wiki at

                                          subject=Unsubscribe>

                                          Terms of

                                        • r2004roellig
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jan 6, 2005
                                            Hi Gregoire and all,

                                            thanks for testing my perl build.
                                            Yes, you were right, that I had a typo in my install notes.
                                            A shared build exsists for Perl 5.6.1 only so far. Perl 5.8.6
                                            is static.
                                            I have fould that static builds are faster and need less
                                            memory than shared builds !? Faster is clear, as static uses
                                            user space fp and there is no dyna loader overhead. But less
                                            memory??? But that´s the reason I think static should be fine
                                            as long as all needed packages are compiled in.

                                            Despite of the huge pkg file of perl586-static (10MB) ipkg
                                            installation works on 3.17. Seems that during my first test
                                            on my slug with 1.x the ipkg script run out of memory... No
                                            chance to get a cause, as the slug hung.
                                            Anyway, udate to 3.17 is recommended.

                                            I´ve updated the docu at
                                            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BuildPerlOnYourNSLU2Box.

                                            Have fun,