Got Perl 5.6.1 working at NSLU2

  • r2004roellig
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 11, 2004
      I've successfully compiled Perl 5.6.1 on my slug in order to get me to
      the next step on my way to get an TWiki server installed on this box.
      Compiling Perl has challenged me for the last few weeks… Now I got it!

      Perl is very picky with regards to a flawless working compiler tool
      chain.
      I'have figured out that having a 100% working floating point support
      of the tool chain is a must! Otherwise the results will be either a
      failing build process or tons of failing Perl self tests.

      IMHO Perl 5.6.1 cannot be cross-compiled as it uses a multi staged build
      process by generating and modifying its source code using miniperl as an
      intermediate code generator which must be executed natively. Perl 5.8
      supports
      cross compiling, however all my resulting binaries ended with segfaults.

      Thus I have decided to build a native tool chain which with 100% soft
      floating
      point support. Running lots of experiments I've found that the only tool
      chain combination which fulfils this requirement is gcc3.4.2 + glibc
      2.3.2 +
      binutils 2.15.

      I run unslung 1.15 (V2.3R25-uNSLUng-1.15-beta-ext3flash) on my box.
      The shared libs of the slug are 2.2.5 and thus there are conflicts to
      glibc 2.3.2. After tinkering for a while with setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH and
      LD_RUN_PATH environment variables I have decided to compile a fully
      static tool
      chain to come to an success.
      1. cross compiler running at x86 -> emitting static armv5b code
      2. with gcc from (1) I compiled a static native compiler running at
      NSLU2 -> emitting static armv5b code

      If my results are interesting to anybody or if you have comments just
      let me
      know. As I don't have sufficient cheap web space available for the tool
      chain & perl binaries (~70M), I'd would rather like to supply 2 mini
      howto's to
      the community (NSLU-Wiki), e.g.
      o Howto build fully static native gcc3.4.2/glibc2.3.2 for NSLU
      o Howto build perl 5.6.1 on the NSLU (requires some tweaks)

      As said, just let me know if this is interesting to somebody.

      Ciao.
    • Ivan Van Laningham
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 11, 2004
        Hi All--

        r2004roellig wrote:

        > If my results are interesting to anybody or if you have comments just
        > let me
        > know. As I don't have sufficient cheap web space available for the tool
        > chain & perl binaries (~70M), I'd would rather like to supply 2 mini
        > howto's to
        > the community (NSLU-Wiki), e.g.
        > o Howto build fully static native gcc3.4.2/glibc2.3.2 for NSLU
        > o Howto build perl 5.6.1 on the NSLU (requires some tweaks)

        I have the space and an ftp server. If you're interested in providing
        binaries to the community, write to me offlist and I'll tell you how to
        upload them.

        Metta,
        Ivan
        Ivan Van Laningham
        God N Locomotive Works
        http://www.pauahtun.org/
        Army Signal Corps: Cu Chi, Class of '70
        Author: Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours
      • r2004roellig
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 14, 2004
          Hello,

          I have published a desription on the NSLU-wiki howto build
          Perl 5.6.1 at your box.
          See: http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BuildPerlOnYourNSLU2Box

          Many thanks to Ivan for providing ftp space. So I was able to provide
          binaries for the toolchain and for the compiled perl suite.

          Ciao,
          Rene.

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Ivan Van Laningham <ivanlan@p...>

          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 14, 2004
            On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:17:57 -0000, r2004roellig <r2004roellig@...> wrote:
            > I have published a desription on the NSLU-wiki howto build
            > Perl 5.6.1 at your box.
            > See: http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BuildPerlOnYourNSLU2Box
            >
            > Many thanks to Ivan for providing ftp space. So I was able to provide
            > binaries for the toolchain and for the compiled perl suite.

            Since it's too difficult to cross-compile perl, we could do the
            following to create a Perl ipk:

            1/ Ask Rene to recompile it with the standard paths that we use for
            Unslung packages (i.e. /opt/bin, /opt/lib, /opt/include, /opt/doc,
            etc)
            2/ We create an Unslung package which just slurps down his binaries,
            and packages them into an .ipk file for release into the package
            repository.

            Then Unslung users can just "ipk install perl" :-)

            Rene, are you willing to rebuild it with different paths so that we
            can do this ?

            As long as we have a comprehensive build script published (as Rene has
            done) for all packages that have to be natively compiled, then I'm
            happy to have them packaged up in this manner in general and included
            in the Unslung package repository.

            -- Rod
          • Sam
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 15, 2004
              Good stuff, seems to work like a charm. It may not be the most
              complete test in the world, this Perl build ran awstats
              (http://awstats.sourceforge.net/) for me with no complaints:

              http://www.polkadotninja.com/stats/

              -- Sam

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "r2004roellig" <r2004roellig@y...>

              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 15, 2004
                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <unslung@g...> wrote:

                > 1/ Ask Rene to recompile it with the standard paths that we use for
                > Unslung packages (i.e. /opt/bin, /opt/lib, /opt/include, /opt/doc,
                > etc)
                > 2/ We create an Unslung package which just slurps down his
                binaries,
                > and packages them into an .ipk file for release into the package
                > repository.
                >
                > Then Unslung users can just "ipk install perl" :-)
                >
                > Rene, are you willing to rebuild it with different paths so that we
                > can do this ?

                Ok, it will be easy for me to recompile the package. But it will take
                me a day or two until I will have time to upload my results.

                Thanks,
                Rene.
              • Sam
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 17, 2004
                  An interesting Perl app that would make a fine NSLU2 addition is Slim
                  Devices' SlimServer (http://www.slimdevices.com/su_downloads.html) -
                  streams mp3s, nice Web interface. It won't run under this Perl build,
                  though, because Time::HiRes isn't compiled in (since it's a static
                  build, can't just grab the module).

                  So, if you're open to suggestions, that would be a nice module to
                  include next time you're building ...

                  wrote:

                  > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <unslung@g...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > 1/ Ask Rene to recompile it with the standard paths that we use for
                  > > Unslung packages (i.e. /opt/bin, /opt/lib, /opt/include, /opt/doc,
                  > > etc)
                  > > 2/ We create an Unslung package which just slurps down his
                  > binaries,
                  > > and packages them into an .ipk file for release into the package
                  > > repository.
                  > >
                  > > Then Unslung users can just "ipk install perl" :-)
                  > >
                  > > Rene, are you willing to rebuild it with different paths so that we
                  > > can do this ?
                  >
                  > Ok, it will be easy for me to recompile the package. But it will take
                  > me a day or two until I will have time to upload my results.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Rene.
                • r2004roellig
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 17, 2004
                    Hi,

                    thanks for pointing me to the issue with static linked modules. I have
                    a build running over night to get Time::HiRes built in statically.
                    However at the long run it might become a significant disadvantage,
                    that due to static perl binary build the dynamic module loading does
                    not seem to work. This is not what I would have expected. I can
                    think about a solution, however if anybody has an idea...

                    Of course the best thing would be to link perl against the shared libs
                    at the NSLU (glibc 2.2.5). Current static toolchains fail (gcc
                    3.3.4/glibc 2.2.5 etc)
                    to handle floating point correctly.

                    I have a small test program (quick hack) at:
                    http://de.geocities.com/r2004roellig/public/NSLU2/toolchain/hello-fp.c

                    The expected output is:
                    http://de.geocities.com/r2004roellig/public/NSLU2/toolchain/hello-fp-output.txt

                    I've found that correct execution of this quick hack is a prerequisite
                    to get perl done.

                    I also have tried to apply "glibc-fp-byteorder.patch" against glibc
                    2.2.5, however without success.

                    So it would help a lot if anybody has an idea what needs to be done to
                    get the native toolchain (gcc-x.y.z-glibc-2.2.5) fixed.

                    For reference here are my results of compiler and glibc version tests
                    regarding floating point execution:
                    http://de.geocities.com/r2004roellig/public/NSLU2/toolchain/Compilertests.txt

                    Thanks,
                    Rene.

                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Sam" <sam@p...> wrote:

                    > An interesting Perl app that would make a fine NSLU2 addition is Slim
                    > Devices' SlimServer (http://www.slimdevices.com/su_downloads.html) -
                    > streams mp3s, nice Web interface. It won't run under this Perl build,
                    > though, because Time::HiRes isn't compiled in (since it's a static
                    > build, can't just grab the module).
                    >
                    > So, if you're open to suggestions, that would be a nice module to
                    > include next time you're building ...
                    >
                    > -- Sam
                  • alex_reina
                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 18, 2004
                      Hi,

                      I went through the same yesterday... Downloaded a dev environment just
                      to compile the DB_File module. It all went relatively well, until the
                      CGI just complained that it couldn't load the module!

                      I vote for DB_File to be included: libdb is already available via
                      ipkg, this means you could use many apps that required database
                      connectivity (Berkeley DB), such as Movable Type.

                      Of course, the wider issue of how to deal with modules remains. And
                      this being Perl, that's a BIG issue ;-)

                      Many thanks for your work anyway.

                      Alex

                      wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > thanks for pointing me to the issue with static linked modules. I have
                      > a build running over night to get Time::HiRes built in statically.
                      > However at the long run it might become a significant disadvantage,
                      > that due to static perl binary build the dynamic module loading does
                      > not seem to work. This is not what I would have expected. I can
                      > think about a solution, however if anybody has an idea...
                      >
                      > Of course the best thing would be to link perl against the shared libs
                      > at the NSLU (glibc 2.2.5). Current static toolchains fail (gcc
                      > 3.3.4/glibc 2.2.5 etc)
                      > to handle floating point correctly.
                      >
                      > I have a small test program (quick hack) at:
                      > http://de.geocities.com/r2004roellig/public/NSLU2/toolchain/hello-fp.c
                      >
                      > The expected output is:

                      http://de.geocities.com/r2004roellig/public/NSLU2/toolchain/hello-fp-output.txt

                      > I've found that correct execution of this quick hack is a prerequisite
                      > to get perl done.
                      >
                      > I also have tried to apply "glibc-fp-byteorder.patch" against glibc
                      > 2.2.5, however without success.
                      >
                      > So it would help a lot if anybody has an idea what needs to be done to
                      > get the native toolchain (gcc-x.y.z-glibc-2.2.5) fixed.
                      >
                      > For reference here are my results of compiler and glibc version tests
                      > regarding floating point execution:

                      http://de.geocities.com/r2004roellig/public/NSLU2/toolchain/Compilertests.txt

                      > Thanks,
                      > Rene.
                      >
                      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Sam" <sam@p...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > An interesting Perl app that would make a fine NSLU2 addition is Slim
                      > > Devices' SlimServer (http://www.slimdevices.com/su_downloads.html) -
                      > > streams mp3s, nice Web interface. It won't run under this Perl build,
                      > > though, because Time::HiRes isn't compiled in (since it's a static
                      > > build, can't just grab the module).
                      > >
                      > > So, if you're open to suggestions, that would be a nice module to
                      > > include next time you're building ...
                      > >
                      > > -- Sam
                    • r2004roellig
                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 20, 2004
                        Hi Sam, Alex and all,

                        I've created a new perl compilation. The modules Time::HiRes and
                        DB_File are compiled in now. DB_File requied to recompile libdb as the
                        libdb-ipk does not contain the static version of the library.

                        Now comes your part: test it with more killer apps :)
                        On my side self tests ran fine, however DB_File tests needed some
                        tweaking, as 1 test related to hash functions failed. After disabling
                        this specific test all other (more than 100) ran without issues.

                        I've created 2 versions for binary install: ipk and tar ball:
                        http://www.familie-roellig.de/public/nslu2/perl/perl_5.6.1-1_armeb.ipk
                        http://www.familie-roellig.de/public/nslu2/perl/perl_5.6.1-1-21Dec2004.tar.gz
                        Detailled instructions are here:
                        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BuildPerlOnYourNSLU2Box

                        Hi Rod,
                        Perl resides in the unslung default directories now. Please check
                        whether the ikg works (I'm not that experienced which ipk until now).
                        Please let me know if there are issues. Otherwise it would be great if
                        you could move it onto the ipkg server. Updated build instructions can
                        be found at Wiki:

                        Thanks,
                        Rene.

                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 20, 2004
                          On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 00:41:04 -0000, r2004roellig <r2004roellig@...> wrote:
                          > I've created 2 versions for binary install: ipk and tar ball:
                          > http://www.familie-roellig.de/public/nslu2/perl/perl_5.6.1-1_armeb.ipk
                          > Otherwise it would be great if you could move it onto the ipkg server.

                          Another option is for you to create the Packages and Packages.gz files
                          in a feed directory on your site (e.g.
                          http://www.familie-roellig.de/public/nslu2/unslung/), and then we will
                          just add that feed URL to the ipkg.conf file in the Unslung
                          distribution.

                          We have always intended to do this for commercial packages (like the
                          Twonky Vision) server, and I think it's the best way to handle
                          contributed binary packages (until we are able to build them
                          automatically in the CVS build system - maybe even by running that
                          build system on an NSLU2).

                          Then you can control releases of those binary packages, and not have
                          to depend upon asking someone to update them in the main feed when you
                          change them. To the user, it will be transparent, cause the ipkg
                          install will look in both feeds for the perl package.

                          -- Rod
                        • Sam
                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 20, 2004
                            Thanks Rene! Seems to work like a charm, at least with the app I
                            volunteered. Slimserver works, although top shows it sucking down about
                            75% of my slug's CPU and 50% of it's memory, and it's delivering more
                            than a few skips ... due to running out of resources on the slug, not my
                            slow 802.11b router, I think.

                            At any rate, it's a fun app to try out, nice remote web-based interface
                            controlling a streaming server, if anyone's interested ...

                            r2004roellig wrote:

> [...]
                            > > >
                            > > > The expected output is:
                            > > >

                            > http://de.geocities.com/r2004roellig/public/NSLU2/toolchain/hello-fp-output.txt
                            > > >
                            > > > I've found that correct execution of this quick hack is a prerequisite
                            > > > to get perl done.
                            > > >
                            > > > I also have tried to apply "glibc-fp-byteorder.patch" against glibc
                            > > > 2.2.5, however without success.
                            > > >
                            > > > So it would help a lot if anybody has an idea what needs to be done to
                            > > > get the native toolchain (gcc-x.y.z-glibc-2.2.5) fixed.
                            > > >
                            > > > For reference here are my results of compiler and glibc version tests
                            > > > regarding floating point execution:
                            > > >

                            > http://de.geocities.com/r2004roellig/public/NSLU2/toolchain/Compilertests.txt
                            > > >
                            > > > Thanks,
                            > > > Rene.

                            > Slim
                            > build,

                            > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the Wiki at

                          • r2004roellig
                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 21, 2004
                              Hello,

                              I have made the my perl ipkg available at
                              http://www.familie-roellig.de/public/nslu2/unslung/

                              If /etc/ipkg.conf contains the line
                              src r2004roellig http://www.familie-roellig.de/public/nslu2/unslung

                              then perl can be installed with
                              ipkg update
                              ipkg install perl

                              I have updated the documentation in the NSLU Wiki at
                              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BuildPerlOnYourNSLU2Box.

                              Ciao,
                              Rene.

                              > Another option is for you to create the Packages and Packages.gz files
                              > in a feed directory on your site (e.g.
                              > http://www.familie-roellig.de/public/nslu2/unslung/), and then we will
                              > just add that feed URL to the ipkg.conf file in the Unslung
                              > distribution.
                              >
                              > We have always intended to do this for commercial packages (like the
                              > Twonky Vision) server, and I think it's the best way to handle
                              > contributed binary packages (until we are able to build them
                              > automatically in the CVS build system - maybe even by running that
                              > build system on an NSLU2).
                              >
                              > Then you can control releases of those binary packages, and not have
                              > to depend upon asking someone to update them in the main feed when you
                              > change them. To the user, it will be transparent, cause the ipkg
                              > install will look in both feeds for the perl package.
                              >
                              > -- Rod
                            • Marc D. Field
                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 21, 2004
                                In article news:41C78597.70900@..., Sam <sam-E+nNfmQdIM+khvEg7cKfgAC/G2K4zDHf@...> wrote:
                                >Slimserver works, although top shows it sucking down about
                                >75% of my slug's CPU and 50% of it's memory, and it's delivering more
                                >than a few skips ... due to running out of resources on the slug, not my
                                >slow 802.11b router, I think.

                                Hi Sam,

                                Just curious: what type of music files are you playing? mp3s? Was slimserver scanning for music when it was using 75% CPU? Did you have the slimserver web interface open at the time?

                                I picked-up a Buffalo Linkstation at CompUsa's Thanksgiving doorbuster sale specifically to use with slimserver. It runs under 2% cpu when idle, and about 6% when streaming mp3 or internet radio, and very high when scanning. With a PC "connected" via the web interface, cpu goes up to the high 90s after a few hours and stays there until you kill and restart the server. So I'm wondering whether you're seeing similar issues, or whether slimserver j the slug.

                                Marc

                                --
                                Marc
                              • Marc D. Field
                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 21, 2004
                                  In article news:41C78597.70900@..., Sam <sam-E+nNfmQdIM+khvEg7cKfgAC/G2K4zDHf@...> wrote:
                                  >Slimserver works, although top shows it sucking down about
                                  >75% of my slug's CPU and 50% of it's memory, and it's delivering more
                                  >than a few skips ... due to running out of resources on the slug, not my
                                  >slow 802.11b router, I think.

                                  [posting again because I magically happened upon the key combination to post before I was done editing the last line.]

                                  Hi Sam,

                                  Just curious: what type of music files are you playing? mp3s? Was slimserver scanning for music when it was using 75% CPU? Did you have the slimserver web interface open at the time?

                                  I picked-up a Buffalo Linkstation at CompUsa's Thanksgiving doorbuster sale specifically to use with slimserver. It runs under 2% cpu when idle, and about 6% when streaming mp3 or internet radio, and very high when scanning. With a PC "connected" via the web interface, cpu goes up to the high 90s after a few hours and stays there until you kill and restart the server. So I'm wondering whether you're seeing similar issues, or whether slimserver just uses more of the cpu on the slug.

                                  Marc

                                  --
                                  Marc
                                • Sam
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 22, 2004
                                    Good question. My quick test included all of the above - I scanned
                                    about 2,400 files, mostly mp3s and a few oggs while curiously hammering
                                    the Web interface. After the scan finished, CPU and memory usage stayed
                                    high, going down a little when it quit streaming, but still high.

                                    I'm heading out in a few minutes on a trip with no geek access for a
                                    week, so I'll try a little more careful testing and let you know. I was
                                    planning to dig in a little to see if Slimserver could be made usable on
                                    a slug after getting back anyway.

                                    -- Sam

                                    Marc D. Field wrote:
                                    > In article news:41C78597.70900@..., Sam
                                    > <sam-E+nNfmQdIM+khvEg7cKfgAC/G2K4zDHf@...> wrote:
                                    > >Slimserver works, although top shows it sucking down about
                                    > >75% of my slug's CPU and 50% of it's memory, and it's delivering more
                                    > >than a few skips ... due to running out of resources on the slug, not my
                                    > >slow 802.11b router, I think.
                                    >

                                    > [posting again because I magically happened upon the key combination to
                                    > post before I was done editing the last line.]
                                    >
                                    > Hi Sam,
                                    >
                                    > Just curious: what type of music files are you playing? mp3s? Was
                                    > slimserver scanning for music when it was using 75% CPU? Did you have
                                    > the slimserver web interface open at the time?
                                    >
                                    > I picked-up a Buffalo Linkstation at CompUsa's Thanksgiving doorbuster
                                    > sale specifically to use with slimserver. It runs under 2% cpu when
                                    > idle, and about 6% when streaming mp3 or internet radio, and very high
                                    > when scanning. With a PC "connected" via the web interface, cpu goes up
                                    > to the high 90s after a few hours and stays there until you kill and
                                    > restart the server. So I'm wondering whether you're seeing similar
                                    > issues, or whether slimserver just uses more of the cpu on the slug.
                                    >
                                    > Marc
                                    >
                                    > --
                                    > Marc
                                    >

                                    > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the Wiki at
                                    > http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]
                                    >

                                    > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
                                    > click here
                                    > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129f8udgt/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1705004750:HM/EXP=1103783948/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>

                                  • Sam
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Dec 31, 2004
                                      After a second try, it appears that Slimserver works fine and
                                      hiccup-free unless your Slug's doing a lot of other things at the same
                                      time. I think Slimserver was still scanning my music library the first
                                      time I tried. With the scanning done, it works fine now, even when the
                                      Web interface is being used.

                                      The reason I'm interested in Slimserver over mt-daapd in the first place
                                      is because it's got the ability to selectively transcode mp3 output
                                      streams on the fly, which, to me, means lower-bitrate streams to
                                      external IPs, allowing me to listen to a home music collection from work
                                      without surpassing my home connection's 128Kb upload speed. Slimserver
                                      transcodes by passing a stream to an external application, usually LAME,
                                      so my next step is to try getting LAME compiled on a Slug ...

                                      -- Sam

                                      Sam wrote:
                                      > Good question. My quick test included all of the above - I scanned
                                      > about 2,400 files, mostly mp3s and a few oggs while curiously hammering
                                      > the Web interface. After the scan finished, CPU and memory usage stayed
                                      > high, going down a little when it quit streaming, but still high.
                                      >
                                      > I'm heading out in a few minutes on a trip with no geek access for a
                                      > week, so I'll try a little more careful testing and let you know. I was
                                      > planning to dig in a little to see if Slimserver could be made usable on
                                      > a slug after getting back anyway.
                                      >
                                      > -- Sam
                                      >

                                      > Marc D. Field wrote:
                                      > > In article news:41C78597.70900@..., Sam
                                      > > <sam-E+nNfmQdIM+khvEg7cKfgAC/G2K4zDHf@...> wrote:
                                      > > >Slimserver works, although top shows it sucking down about
                                      > > >75% of my slug's CPU and 50% of it's memory, and it's delivering more
                                      > > >than a few skips ... due to running out of resources on the slug,
                                      > not my
                                      > > >slow 802.11b router, I think.
                                      > >

                                      > > [posting again because I magically happened upon the key combination to
                                      > > post before I was done editing the last line.]
                                      > >
                                      > > Hi Sam,
                                      > >
                                      > > Just curious: what type of music files are you playing? mp3s? Was
                                      > > slimserver scanning for music when it was using 75% CPU? Did you have
                                      > > the slimserver web interface open at the time?
                                      > >
                                      > > I picked-up a Buffalo Linkstation at CompUsa's Thanksgiving doorbuster
                                      > > sale specifically to use with slimserver. It runs under 2% cpu when
                                      > > idle, and about 6% when streaming mp3 or internet radio, and very high
                                      > > when scanning. With a PC "connected" via the web interface, cpu goes up
                                      > > to the high 90s after a few hours and stays there until you kill and
                                      > > restart the server. So I'm wondering whether you're seeing similar
                                      > > issues, or whether slimserver just uses more of the cpu on the slug.
                                      > >
                                      > > Marc
                                    • dyoung8888
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jan 3, 2005
                                        I just performed the hello-fp.c test using the the crosstool cross
                                        compiler. It used to fail the -f test under <= 3.16; but under 3.17
                                        it seems to work better.

                                        Results:
                                        # ./a.out
                                        val = 10
                                        result = 2.30259
                                        hallo world.
                                        0.500000
                                        0.250000
                                        88888888.800000
                                        2.718282
                                        2.250000

                                        Under 3.16 the 4th line of the results was not correct. That was
                                        the same result I would get using the native compiler. That being
                                        said, I have no reason to believe that the native compiler wouldnt
                                        work.

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jan 3, 2005
                                          It in fact does work as expected.

                                          > Under 3.16 the 4th line of the results was not correct. That was
                                          > the same result I would get using the native compiler. That being
                                          > said, I have no reason to believe that the native compiler wouldnt
                                          > work.

                                          # /share/hdd/data/tools/gcc/bin/armv5b-softfloat-linux-gcc -lm hello-
                                          fp.c
                                          # ./a.out
                                          val = 10
                                          result = 2.30259
                                          hallo world.
                                          0.500000
                                          0.250000
                                          88888888.800000
                                          2.718282
                                          2.250000
                                        • Gregoire Cosendai
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jan 3, 2005
                                            Sam,
                                            I tried the same with ~10000 mp3 and its is very slow.

                                            What memory do you read when you do a ps and its finished scanning ?

                                            What rev of unslug are you running ?

                                            Thanks,
                                            Greg

                                          • Sam
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jan 3, 2005
                                              Even with only 3k mp3s, memory usage is quite high, about 50% to 60% of
                                              total memory according to top, and I'm using 2.x (can't remember minor
                                              version). It does not pause as it did while scanning, but the web
                                              interface is exactly snappy.

                                              FYI, I haven't gotten lame working yet - it compiles, and appears to
                                              run, but never produces any results. Perhaps it's the softfloat math
                                              issue pointed out when Perl was built, so I'll try again with the
                                              recommended updates. But, with the already high resource usage, I'm not
                                              so sure that smooth on-the-fly transcoding will be possible.

                                              Sam

                                              Gregoire Cosendai wrote:

> [...]
                                              > for a
                                              > > > week, so I'll try a little more careful testing and let you know.
                                              > I was
                                              > > > planning to dig in a little to see if Slimserver could be made
                                              > usable on
                                              > > > a slug after getting back anyway.
                                              > > >
                                              > > > -- Sam

                                              > delivering more
                                              > slug,
                                              > > > not my

                                              > combination to

                                              > mp3s? Was
                                              > you have

                                              > doorbuster
                                              > cpu when
                                              > very high
                                              > cpu goes up
                                              > kill and
                                              > similar
                                              > slug.

                                              > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the Wiki at

                                            • r2004roellig
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jan 3, 2005
                                                Hi dyoung,

                                                unslung 3.17 fixes a bug in the NWFP emulator. I've requested an
                                                patch yesterday, Rod has incorporated the fix into OE, rebuilt
                                                unslung and has released 3.17. Thus this issue has gone.

                                                Initially I have thought that this is a compiler issues as for
                                                the NSLU in crosstool the target "armv5b-softfloat.dat" is used.
                                                "Softfloat" meant to me that the compiler uses own floating point
                                                routines.
                                                By building gcc3.4.2/glibc 2.3.2 my impression got reinforced, as
                                                this combination worked excellent, by using obviously true
                                                glibc/compiler internal fp code (see
                                                http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/NativeFloatingPointToolchain)

                                                Over the weekend I have learnt that the native tool chain with
                                                gcc 3.3.4/glibc2.2.5 is not a real softfloat tool chain. By running
                                                gcc -S I have seen that it emits math instructions instead. Those
                                                get emulated by the Netwinder Kernel FP emu. Unfortunately the
                                                negation() and fabs() instruction handler functions were broken.
                                                This explains exactly the behavior we saw with unslung <= 3.16.

                                                Rene.

                                                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "dyoung8888" <dyoung8888@y...> wrote:

                                                > It in fact does work as expected.
                                                >
                                                > > Under 3.16 the 4th line of the results was not correct. That was
                                                > > the same result I would get using the native compiler. That being
                                                > > said, I have no reason to believe that the native compiler wouldnt
                                                > > work.
                                                >
                                                > # /share/hdd/data/tools/gcc/bin/armv5b-softfloat-linux-gcc -lm hello-
                                                > fp.c
                                                > # ./a.out
                                                > val = 10
                                                > result = 2.30259
                                                > hallo world.
                                                > 0.500000
                                                > 0.250000
                                                > 88888888.800000
                                                > 2.718282
                                                > 2.250000
                                              • tj_yang2001
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jan 3, 2005
                                                  Hi, Rene

                                                  Can you upload the files on pauahtun.org to sf.net or nslu2 sites ?
                                                  I am having problem to download your gcc-3.4.2 binary.

                                                  ftp://www.pauahtun.org/pub/nslu2/nslu-native-gcc3.4.2-glibc-2.3.2.tgz

                                                  Thanks

                                                  tj

                                                  wrote:

                                                  > Hi dyoung,
                                                  >
                                                  > unslung 3.17 fixes a bug in the NWFP emulator. I've requested an
                                                  > patch yesterday, Rod has incorporated the fix into OE, rebuilt
                                                  > unslung and has released 3.17. Thus this issue has gone.
                                                  >
                                                  > Initially I have thought that this is a compiler issues as for
                                                  > the NSLU in crosstool the target "armv5b-softfloat.dat" is used.
                                                  > "Softfloat" meant to me that the compiler uses own floating point
                                                  > routines.
                                                  > By building gcc3.4.2/glibc 2.3.2 my impression got reinforced, as
                                                  > this combination worked excellent, by using obviously true
                                                  > glibc/compiler internal fp code (see
                                                  > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/NativeFloatingPointToolchain)
                                                  >
                                                  > Over the weekend I have learnt that the native tool chain with
                                                  > gcc 3.3.4/glibc2.2.5 is not a real softfloat tool chain. By running
                                                  > gcc -S I have seen that it emits math instructions instead. Those
                                                  > get emulated by the Netwinder Kernel FP emu. Unfortunately the
                                                  > negation() and fabs() instruction handler functions were broken.
                                                  > This explains exactly the behavior we saw with unslung <= 3.16.
                                                  >
                                                  > Rene.
                                                  >
                                                  > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "dyoung8888" <dyoung8888@y...>
                                                  wrote:

                                                  > > It in fact does work as expected.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > > Under 3.16 the 4th line of the results was not correct. That was
                                                  > > > the same result I would get using the native compiler. That being
                                                  > > > said, I have no reason to believe that the native compiler wouldnt
                                                  > > > work.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > # /share/hdd/data/tools/gcc/bin/armv5b-softfloat-linux-gcc -lm hello-
                                                  > > fp.c
                                                  > > # ./a.out
                                                  > > val = 10
                                                  > > result = 2.30259
                                                  > > hallo world.
                                                  > > 0.500000
                                                  > > 0.250000
                                                  > > 88888888.800000
                                                  > > 2.718282
                                                  > > 2.250000
                                                • tj_yang2001
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jan 4, 2005
                                                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "tj_yang2001" <tj_yang2001@y...>
                                                    wrote:

                                                    > Hi, Rene
                                                    >
                                                    > Can you upload the files on pauahtun.org to sf.net or nslu2 sites ?
                                                    > I am having problem to download your gcc-3.4.2 binary.
                                                    >
                                                    > ftp://www.pauahtun.org/pub/nslu2/nslu-native-gcc3.4.2-glibc-2.3.2.tgz

                                                    Looks like the problem is from my internet connection.
                                                    I can download short scripts quickly but not the big tar.gz.

                                                    tj

                                                  • Gregoire Cosendai
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Jan 4, 2005
                                                      Sam,
                                                      I am having some issues with the server, it does not store the cache.
                                                      I cant find anywhere the file .slimserver.db which should in /root
                                                      And the server doesn't remember the previous scan, therfore it takes
                                                      half a day scanning everytime.

                                                      Looks from slim website that its coming from a memory leak in perl5.6
                                                      which may be fixed in perl5.8

                                                      Do you have the same problem ?
                                                      Greg
                                                    • Sam
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jan 4, 2005
                                                        Yes, I noticed the same thing with the scans getting lost every restart.
                                                        I didn't spend much time looking into it yet, and figured it was due
                                                        to some dumbness on my part - thanks for the info. I'll play with it
                                                        too and let you know if I discover any way to retain song info.

                                                        Sam

                                                        Gregoire Cosendai wrote:

                                                        > Sam,
                                                        > I am having some issues with the server, it does not store the cache.
                                                        > I cant find anywhere the file .slimserver.db which should in /root
                                                        > And the server doesn't remember the previous scan, therfore it takes
                                                        > half a day scanning everytime.
                                                        >
                                                        > Looks from slim website that its coming from a memory leak in perl5.6
                                                        > which may be fixed in perl5.8
                                                        >
                                                        > Do you have the same problem ?
                                                        > Greg
                                                        >

                                                        > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the Wiki at
                                                        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]

                                                      • r2004roellig
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Jan 5, 2005
                                                          Hello,

                                                          I've put perl 5.8.6 ipk on my download directory. Just give it a
                                                          try. Simply follow the instructions on
                                                          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BuildPerlOnYourNSLU2Box

                                                          Rene.

                                                          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Sam <sam@p...> wrote:
                                                          > Yes, I noticed the same thing with the scans getting lost every
                                                          restart.
                                                          > I didn't spend much time looking into it yet, and figured it was due
                                                          > to some dumbness on my part - thanks for the info. I'll play with it
                                                          > too and let you know if I discover any way to retain song info.
                                                          >
                                                          > Sam
                                                          >

                                                          > Gregoire Cosendai wrote:
                                                          > >
                                                          > > Sam,
                                                          > > I am having some issues with the server, it does not store the cache.
                                                          > > I cant find anywhere the file .slimserver.db which should in /root
                                                          > > And the server doesn't remember the previous scan, therfore it takes
                                                          > > half a day scanning everytime.
                                                          > >
                                                          > > Looks from slim website that its coming from a memory leak in perl5.6
                                                          > > which may be fixed in perl5.8
                                                          > >
                                                          > > Do you have the same problem ?
                                                          > > Greg
                                                          > >

                                                          > > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the
                                                          Wiki at
                                                          > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]

                                                        • r2004roellig
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Jan 5, 2005
                                                            Sorry, I need to call back this message: after testing perl I've
                                                            just written this email and installed the ipkg in parallel at
                                                            my slug. Due to the significant bigger size of perl 5.6.8
                                                            (ipk=10MB) the NSLU came never back again (tested on unslung 1.15).
                                                            Thus I need to check what under /opt/lib can be stripped down.
                                                            This will take me some time...

                                                            If you want to test in advance just check out the tgz archive:
                                                            http://www.familie-roellig.de/public/nslu2/unslung/perl-5.8.6-bin-static.tgz

                                                            Thanks,
                                                            Rene.

                                                            wrote:

                                                            > Hello,
                                                            >
                                                            > I've put perl 5.8.6 ipk on my download directory. Just give it a
                                                            > try. Simply follow the instructions on
                                                            > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BuildPerlOnYourNSLU2Box
                                                            >
                                                            > Rene.
                                                            >

                                                            > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Sam <sam@p...> wrote:
                                                            > > Yes, I noticed the same thing with the scans getting lost every
                                                            > restart.
                                                            > > I didn't spend much time looking into it yet, and figured it was
                                                            due
                                                            > > to some dumbness on my part - thanks for the info. I'll play with it
                                                            > > too and let you know if I discover any way to retain song info.
                                                            > >
                                                            > > Sam
                                                            > >

                                                            > > Gregoire Cosendai wrote:
                                                            > > >
                                                            > > > Sam,
                                                            > > > I am having some issues with the server, it does not store the
                                                            cache.
                                                            > > > I cant find anywhere the file .slimserver.db which should in /root
                                                            > > > And the server doesn't remember the previous scan, therfore it takes
                                                            > > > half a day scanning everytime.
                                                            > > >
                                                            > > > Looks from slim website that its coming from a memory leak in
                                                            perl5.6
                                                            > > > which may be fixed in perl5.8
                                                            > > >
                                                            > > > Do you have the same problem ?
                                                            > > > Greg
                                                            > > >

                                                            > > > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the
                                                            > Wiki at
                                                            > > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]

                                                          • Gregoire Cosendai
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Jan 6, 2005
                                                              Rene,
                                                              Thank you so much for the 5.6.8 you definitely move quicker than me.
                                                              a few things:
                                                              - I have perl5.6.8 static running ok on unslug3.17b so far so good
                                                              - The slimserver running on 5.6.8 does indeed create
                                                              the .slimserver.db. (Yeah !)
                                                              - For some reason the build even static seems much less hungry in
                                                              memory than the initial perl5.6.1-1
                                                              - A weired thing tough; is that when I run perl as a daemon, it exits
                                                              or crashes (e.g. perl slimserver.pl &) but it doesn't when I run it
                                                              as a console.
                                                              - I think there is a typo in the howtobuildperl... it currently reads
                                                              "
                                                              1) ipkg install perl
                                                              2) ipkg install perl561-static (same as 1, just alias)
                                                              3) ipkg install perl586-static
                                                              4) ipkg install perl586-shared (works since
                                                              "
                                                              and I think it should read
                                                              "
                                                              1) ipkg ...
                                                              ...static
                                                              4) ipkg install perl561-shared (works since
                                                              "
                                                              If you agree and give me an ok, I will fix it.

                                                              Best !
                                                              Greg

                                                              <r2004roellig@y...> wrote:

                                                              > Sorry, I need to call back this message: after testing perl I've
                                                              > just written this email and installed the ipkg in parallel at
                                                              > my slug. Due to the significant bigger size of perl 5.6.8
                                                              > (ipk=10MB) the NSLU came never back again (tested on unslung 1.15).
                                                              > Thus I need to check what under /opt/lib can be stripped down.
                                                              > This will take me some time...
                                                              >
                                                              > If you want to test in advance just check out the tgz archive:
                                                              > http://www.familie-roellig.de/public/nslu2/unslung/perl-5.8.6-bin-
                                                              static.tgz

                                                              > Thanks,
                                                              > Rene.
                                                              >

                                                              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "r2004roellig"
                                                              <r2004roellig@y...>
                                                              > wrote:
                                                              > >
                                                              > > Hello,
                                                              > >
                                                              > > I've put perl 5.8.6 ipk on my download directory. Just give it a
                                                              > > try. Simply follow the instructions on
                                                              > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BuildPerlOnYourNSLU2Box
                                                              > >
                                                              > > Rene.
                                                              > >

                                                              > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Sam <sam@p...> wrote:
                                                              > > > Yes, I noticed the same thing with the scans getting lost every
                                                              > > restart.
                                                              > > > I didn't spend much time looking into it yet, and figured it
                                                              was
                                                              > due
                                                              > > > to some dumbness on my part - thanks for the info. I'll play
                                                              with it
                                                              > > > too and let you know if I discover any way to retain song info.
                                                              > > >
                                                              > > > Sam

                                                              > cache.

                                                              > perl5.6

                                                              > > Wiki at

                                                              subject=Unsubscribe>

                                                              Terms of

                                                            • r2004roellig
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Jan 6, 2005
                                                                Hi Gregoire and all,

                                                                thanks for testing my perl build.
                                                                Yes, you were right, that I had a typo in my install notes.
                                                                A shared build exsists for Perl 5.6.1 only so far. Perl 5.8.6
                                                                is static.
                                                                I have fould that static builds are faster and need less
                                                                memory than shared builds !? Faster is clear, as static uses
                                                                user space fp and there is no dyna loader overhead. But less
                                                                memory??? But that´s the reason I think static should be fine
                                                                as long as all needed packages are compiled in.

                                                                Despite of the huge pkg file of perl586-static (10MB) ipkg
                                                                installation works on 3.17. Seems that during my first test
                                                                on my slug with 1.x the ipkg script run out of memory... No
                                                                chance to get a cause, as the slug hung.
                                                                Anyway, udate to 3.17 is recommended.

                                                                I´ve updated the docu at
                                                                http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BuildPerlOnYourNSLU2Box.

                                                                Have fun,