Goodbye from a moderator

  • Inge Arnesen
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 7, 2013
      Dear all,

      Due to http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/06/us-tech-giants-nsa-data I'm terminating my Yahoo account and will no longer be able to moderate nslu2-linux. Thanks for all the years together with the little NAS that could!

      all the best,

      Bob_tm
    • Brian Wood
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 7, 2013
        On 6/7/13 1:34 AM, Inge Arnesen wrote:

        > Dear all,
        >
        > Due
        > to http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/06/us-tech-giants-nsa-data I'm
        > terminating my Yahoo account and will no longer be able to moderate
        > nslu2-linux. Thanks for all the years together with the little NAS that
        > could!
        >
        > all the best,
        >
        > Bob_tm

        So I suppose you are disconnecting from the internet and will no longer
        use it at all.

        This because every major internet company is almost certainly doing the
        same thing you are complaining about Yahoo doing.

        Governments, especially the US, will continue to "monitor" the internet,
        legally or not.

        Yahoo and others are simply trying to stay alive. A US company that did
        not "cooperate" would suffer the wrath of the government. While I wish
        they would stand up to the government and prevent this sort of
        unjustifiable spying, it's not going to happen.

        I am sorry to see you go, but your stated reason makes no sense, as
        there is nowhere to go that does not have the same problem.

        All the best.
      • Drew Gibson
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 8, 2013
          Hi Brian,

          thanks for all your efforts over the years in keeping the list alive and well. It was the slug that got me into ARM computing years before it was fashionable and that could not have happened without the invaluable tips and fixes I got from this list.

          Others may feel that just because you're f*ck*d you should roll over and wave the white flag but even a token gesture is worthwhile to remind us all of what is coming down the pipe.

          I respect your decision and wish you well in your future endeavours.

          regards,

          Drew

          On 07/06/13, Harsh <harshbaste@...> wrote:

          Its a safe bet that big brother has 100s of more inventive (and far more accurate) ways to monitor you. Cell phones, credit cards, GPS devices, your computer, your (snail) mail, etc. being the obvious ones. When all else fails, they can just monitor you via surveillance cameras all over the city and (now) probably drones.

          Closing down your yahoo account is going to be a drop in the ocean if you want to avoid monitoring. To be really effective, I would recommend a deserted island somewhere in the middle of the Arctic sea where you cut off all contact with the outside world and grow your own food (assuming the spy satellites wont get you there either) ;-)

          Just remain the moderator will you! This place runs because of people like yourself and we are thankful :-)

          -H

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 8, 2013
            I guess Big Brother IS listening. :-} The message below originally included a quotation for all the surrender-monkeys:

            "Due to their excellent understanding of the regional topography and bison behaviour, native people hunted bison by stampeding them over a precipice. They then carved up the carcasses and dragged the pieces to be butchered and processed in the butchering camp set up on the flats beyond the cliffs."
            ref: Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump - http://history.alberta.ca/headsmashedin/

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 9, 2013
              but I'm not trying to hide.

              I just don't like all the insidious data gathering and the wildly inaccurate inferences made therefrom.

              regards,

              Drew

              Sent from my phone

              On 2013-06-09, at 4:34 AM, Harsh <harshbaste@...> wrote:

              Hi Drew,

              Is this you?

              I'd be a little careful of guarding my own privacy online before passing judgements to that effect about others on a public forum. For starters I'd remove my company email address from the subscription list.

              Might I recommend a Yahoo address - it at least wont trace you back to your workplace (and possibly your home) in Burlington, Ontario Canada.

              -H

[...]

              • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 9, 2013
                  There are other moderators. The list goes on.

                  This one thanks you for returning this conversation to a more pertinent
                  line of discussion. :)

                  -Mike (mwester)

                  On 6/9/2013 10:25 AM, M.J. Johnson wrote:

                  > Returning to a more on-topic discussion, is the implication that this
                  > list will end without participation of the original moderator? Can't we
                  > just change moderators? I find this list to be a valuable resource, and
                  > would like to see it continue...
                  >
                  > Thanks.
                  >
                  > On Sunday, June 9, 2013, Drew Gibson wrote:
                  >
                  > __
                  >
                  > but I'm not trying to hide.
                  >
                  > I just don't like all the insidious data gathering and the wildly
                  > inaccurate inferences made therefrom.
                  >
                  > regards,
                  >
                  > Drew
                  >

                  > Sent from my phone
                  >
                  > On 2013-06-09, at 4:34 AM, Harsh <harshbaste@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Hi Drew,
                  >> Is this you?
                  >> http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/drew-gibson/40/a65/907
                  >> I'd be a little careful of guarding my own privacy online before
                  >> passing judgements to that effect about others on a public forum.
                  >> For starters I'd remove my company email address from the
                  >> subscription list.
                  >> Might I recommend a Yahoo address - it at least wont trace you
                  >> back to your workplace (and possibly your home) in Burlington,
                  >> Ontario Canada.
                  >> -H
                  >>> regards,
                  >>> __
                  >>> Drew

                • Gregg Levine
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 9, 2013
                    On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Mike Westerhof (mwester)
                    <mwester@...> wrote:
                    > There are other moderators. The list goes on.
                    >
                    > This one thanks you for returning this conversation to a more pertinent
                    > line of discussion. :)
                    >
                    > -Mike (mwester)
                    >

                    > On 6/9/2013 10:25 AM, M.J. Johnson wrote:
                    >>

                    >> Returning to a more on-topic discussion, is the implication that this
                    >> list will end without participation of the original moderator? Can't we
                    >> just change moderators? I find this list to be a valuable resource, and
                    >> would like to see it continue...
                    >>
                    >> Thanks.
                    [Much stuff snipped while listening to Schubert's Unfinished.]
                    Hello!
                    I quite agree Mike even though technically I'm only a participant
                    running a frustrated Pogo Plug.

                    -----
                    Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8@...
                  • f5bqp_pfm
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 12, 2013
                      This is "THE" good excuse to escape from this moderation thinking we're so stupid to trust you!

                      Will see the truth, and I hope you'll close your Internet access, shut down your telephone line, through away your cell phone etc!...
                      Good luck!

                      pf

                      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Inge Arnesen <inge.arnesen@...> wrote:

                      > Dear all,
                      >
                      > Due to http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/06/us-tech-giants-nsa-data I'm
                      > terminating my Yahoo account and will no longer be able to moderate
                      > nslu2-linux. Thanks for all the years together with the little NAS that
                      > could!
                      >
                      > all the best,
                      >
                      > Bob_tm

                    • Joaquim Baptista
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 18, 2013
                        Greetings,

                        Let me just say that I was amazed to find out that this particular list was moderated.

                        Having moderated a list before, I tip my hat to all the moderators: you have been doing the best possible moderation work, which is "mostly invisible".

                        Thanks to you all, you effort is very much appreciated.

                        - Joaquim Baptista