Re: [nslu2-linux] latest opkg feeds for slugosbe? - setting up gcc

  • wetstreams
    Message 1 of 6 , May 28, 2013
      A follow up on this issue. Let me explain where I am:

      I have a slug I used for a project a year or two ago. I loaded slugos5.3be using the binary on the website, then I loaded lighttpd using apparently opkg pointing to http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/slugosbe/cross/5.3-beta/. This worked great.

      That project is over, and I want to reuse the slug for a new project involving talking to a custom USB interface board. I have that working as well.

      Following this mail thread, I setup ipkg to point to http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/slugos5be/cross/unstable. I did "opkg remove" on most of what I had installed before. I did "ipkg install" of python, perl, make, lighttpd.

      So, what's the problem? If I read the website, there are how-tos that offer information , but some of it seems obsolete. For example, I needed to compile a C program. If I look on the website, there are instructions on how to setup a native toolchain such as http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SlugOSNativeCompileEnvironment. The packages mention are not available in either of these repos.

      So, what I did was "opkg install gcc" and "opkg install gcc-symlinks". (gcc doesn't seem to be in the optware repo) I downloaded libusb 1.0.9, ran configure, make, make install and then compiled and linked my C code with /usr/local/libusb-1.0.a. This is working OK.

      So my question is, if I don't want to rebuild packages, just write my own code, am I doing the right thing here? Is there a better way to set up gcc?