Re: [nslu2-linux] latest opkg feeds for slugosbe?

  • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
    Message 1 of 6 , May 26, 2013
      Yes, optware is installed with the *ipkg* utility, which is similar but
      not identical to the *opkg* utility. I'm actually surprised it got that
      far!

      f you don't have ipkg installed on your slugos system, refer to the wiki
      for the info you'll need.

      -Mike (mwester)

      On 5/26/2013 9:35 PM, wetstreams wrote:

      > Interesting. If I edit /etc/opkg/cross-feed.conf to
      > http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/slugos5be/cross/unstable
      >
      > and then say:
      >
      > root@slug3816:/# opkg install lighttpd
      > Installing lighttpd (1.4.32-1) to root...
      > Downloading
      > http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/slugos5be/cross/unstable/lighttpd_1.4.32-1_armeb.ipk
      > gunzip: short read
      > gunzip: invalid magic
      > package lighttpd suggests installing e2fsprogs
      > package lighttpd suggests installing libxml2
      > package lighttpd suggests installing lua
      > package lighttpd suggests installing sqlite
      > package lighttpd suggests installing openldap-libs
      > package lighttpd suggests installing mysql
      > gunzip: invalid magic
      > gunzip: short read
      > gunzip: invalid magic
      > can't get //usr/lib/opkg/info/lighttpd.control open for read
      > gunzip: invalid magic
      > Configuring lighttpd
      > Collected errors:
      > * Unable to open the control file in set_flags_from_control
      > root@slug3816:/#
      >
      > Any idea what might be wrong?

    • wetstreams
      Message 2 of 6 , May 27, 2013
        Thanks, that took care of it. Still learning about the slugos and was confused by one of the comments on the web site.

        Message 3 of 6 , May 28, 2013
          A follow up on this issue. Let me explain where I am:

          I have a slug I used for a project a year or two ago. I loaded slugos5.3be using the binary on the website, then I loaded lighttpd using apparently opkg pointing to http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/slugosbe/cross/5.3-beta/. This worked great.

          That project is over, and I want to reuse the slug for a new project involving talking to a custom USB interface board. I have that working as well.

          Following this mail thread, I setup ipkg to point to http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/slugos5be/cross/unstable. I did "opkg remove" on most of what I had installed before. I did "ipkg install" of python, perl, make, lighttpd.

          So, what's the problem? If I read the website, there are how-tos that offer information , but some of it seems obsolete. For example, I needed to compile a C program. If I look on the website, there are instructions on how to setup a native toolchain such as http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SlugOSNativeCompileEnvironment. The packages mention are not available in either of these repos.

          So, what I did was "opkg install gcc" and "opkg install gcc-symlinks". (gcc doesn't seem to be in the optware repo) I downloaded libusb 1.0.9, ran configure, make, make install and then compiled and linked my C code with /usr/local/libusb-1.0.a. This is working OK.

          So my question is, if I don't want to rebuild packages, just write my own code, am I doing the right thing here? Is there a better way to set up gcc?