latest opkg feeds for slugosbe?

  • wetstreams
    Message 1 of 6 , May 25, 2013
      I am trying to re-use a slug for a new project. It has slugosbe 5.3beta running.

      ipkg and opkg source points to http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/slugosbe/cross/5.3-beta/. I see that was last updated in 2009.

      If I try to use newer feeds like http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/slugosbe/cross/stable/ they do not work - I get magic errors from gzip. It appears they end in "armeb.ipk" instead of "armv5teb.ipk".

      Are there any newer feeds I can use? I have looked at a lot of pages and sites for this, no useful information.

      Should I try a different OS or hardware?
    • Ovidiu Sas
      Message 2 of 6 , May 25, 2013
        I'm have a slug running slugosbe 5.3beta.
        I setup optware on it and I'm using everything from optware:

        Regards,
        Ovidiu Sas

        --
        VoIP Embedded, Inc.
        http://www.voipembedded.com
        Message 3 of 6 , May 26, 2013
          Interesting. If I edit /etc/opkg/cross-feed.conf to
          http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/slugos5be/cross/unstable

          and then say:

          root@slug3816:/# opkg install lighttpd
          Installing lighttpd (1.4.32-1) to root...
          Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/slugos5be/cross/unstable/lighttpd_1.4.32-1_armeb.ipk
          gunzip: short read
          gunzip: invalid magic
          package lighttpd suggests installing e2fsprogs
          package lighttpd suggests installing libxml2
          package lighttpd suggests installing lua
          package lighttpd suggests installing sqlite
          package lighttpd suggests installing openldap-libs
          package lighttpd suggests installing mysql
          gunzip: invalid magic
          gunzip: short read
          gunzip: invalid magic
          can't get //usr/lib/opkg/info/lighttpd.control open for read
          gunzip: invalid magic
          Configuring lighttpd
          Collected errors:
           * Unable to open the control file in  set_flags_from_control
          root@slug3816:/#

          Any idea what might be wrong?

[...]

        • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
          Message 4 of 6 , May 26, 2013
            Yes, optware is installed with the *ipkg* utility, which is similar but
            not identical to the *opkg* utility. I'm actually surprised it got that
            far!

            f you don't have ipkg installed on your slugos system, refer to the wiki
            for the info you'll need.

            -Mike (mwester)

            On 5/26/2013 9:35 PM, wetstreams wrote:

            > Interesting. If I edit /etc/opkg/cross-feed.conf to
            > http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/slugos5be/cross/unstable
            >
            > and then say:
            >
            > root@slug3816:/# opkg install lighttpd
            > Installing lighttpd (1.4.32-1) to root...
            > Downloading
            > http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/slugos5be/cross/unstable/lighttpd_1.4.32-1_armeb.ipk
            > gunzip: short read
            > gunzip: invalid magic
            > package lighttpd suggests installing e2fsprogs
            > package lighttpd suggests installing libxml2
            > package lighttpd suggests installing lua
            > package lighttpd suggests installing sqlite
            > package lighttpd suggests installing openldap-libs
            > package lighttpd suggests installing mysql
            > gunzip: invalid magic
            > gunzip: short read
            > gunzip: invalid magic
            > can't get //usr/lib/opkg/info/lighttpd.control open for read
            > gunzip: invalid magic
            > Configuring lighttpd
            > Collected errors:
            > * Unable to open the control file in set_flags_from_control
            > root@slug3816:/#
            >
            > Any idea what might be wrong?

          • wetstreams
            Message 5 of 6 , May 27, 2013
              Thanks, that took care of it. Still learning about the slugos and was confused by one of the comments on the web site.

              Message 6 of 6 , May 28, 2013
                A follow up on this issue. Let me explain where I am:

                I have a slug I used for a project a year or two ago. I loaded slugos5.3be using the binary on the website, then I loaded lighttpd using apparently opkg pointing to http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/slugosbe/cross/5.3-beta/. This worked great.

                That project is over, and I want to reuse the slug for a new project involving talking to a custom USB interface board. I have that working as well.

                Following this mail thread, I setup ipkg to point to http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/slugos5be/cross/unstable. I did "opkg remove" on most of what I had installed before. I did "ipkg install" of python, perl, make, lighttpd.

                So, what's the problem? If I read the website, there are how-tos that offer information , but some of it seems obsolete. For example, I needed to compile a C program. If I look on the website, there are instructions on how to setup a native toolchain such as http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SlugOSNativeCompileEnvironment. The packages mention are not available in either of these repos.

                So, what I did was "opkg install gcc" and "opkg install gcc-symlinks". (gcc doesn't seem to be in the optware repo) I downloaded libusb 1.0.9, ran configure, make, make install and then compiled and linked my C code with /usr/local/libusb-1.0.a. This is working OK.

                So my question is, if I don't want to rebuild packages, just write my own code, am I doing the right thing here? Is there a better way to set up gcc?