Re: Cron & flashfs

  • Ray
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2004
      Rod Whitby wrote:
      > On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 11:22:16 -0500, Ray <ryjewski@...> wrote:
      >
      >>How do I change the cron table permanently using flashfs? I couldn't
      >>seem to find any doc on how to do this and I'm a noob.
      >

      > Unslung 2.x's "flashfs" script (which gets renamed to "resling" in
      > Unslung 3.x) is used as follows:
      >
      > 1/ You call "flashfs save" to save any files in /unslung into a
      > .tar.gz file which is stored on the data (not conf) partition of
      > either an attached disk on Disk2 (usually a small FAT flash key which
      > you keep all your settings on), or an attached disk on Disk1 (they are
      > checked in that order).
      >
      > 2/ If you want it to save more files than just those in /unslung, then
      > you add the full pathnames of the files (or directories) that you want
      > to save into /unslung/.files, one per line. The flashfs script will
      > then add those files or directories to the .tar.gz file as well.
      >
      > 3/ When you want to reload your modified files, call "flashfs load".
      > It just searches for the flashfs.tar.gz file on the topmost directory
      > of the data partitions, and then just untars it.
      >
      > 4/ The suggested usage for Unslung 2.x is to put a call to "flashfs
      > load" in your /unslung/rc.local diversion script. Then your modified
      > files get reloaded on every boot.
      >
      > So if you want to save your modified /etc/crontab file, just add it's
      > name to /unslung/.files, and then call "flashfs save".
      >
      > -- Rod
      >

      > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the Wiki at http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]
      Rod,

      Thanks for the great reply. Is this information posted anywhere on the
      unslung site and I just missed it? If not could this be made into a
      "HowTo Recipe"? This is great stuff for noobs.
    • Kai Steinbach
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2004
        Hello Ray,

        On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 08:39:44 -0500, Ray <ryjewski@...> wrote:
        > Is this information posted anywhere on the
        > unslung site and I just missed it? If not could this be made into a
        > "HowTo Recipe"? This is great stuff for noobs.

        Great! I like your thinking.

        Do you know about
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/Nslu2Rules
        ?